Matt Coulthard | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Coulthard

His form and performances didn't warrant a MSD selection. Very speculative pick.
Yeah it surprised us all and a bit like Gray this year. I think Gray looks promising though, but so did Coulthard.

Reactions: 1 user
Seen him do some very clever things.
He’s a footballer. Has talent and skill.
You don’t lose that ability overnight.
Suggest it’s all in his head at this stage. Which isn’t necessarily easy to fix

Whilst he was a late comer to taking footy seriously, as a 23 y.o small we'd want him to be influencing VFL level more than he is.

Needs a big 6-8 weeks otherwise an easy delisting.

Same goes for for Steel Green.

Reactions: 4 users
I had high hopes for this kid but has not progressed this year and been disappointing

He cannot afford to have bad games the rest of the year and needs to light it up to stay on the list

Reactions: 1 users
Both he and Green have fallen down a hole after being dropped following not much chance when wearing the vest.

The way theyve used the sub this year has been garbage and has likely been a factor in the drop off in form of these two lads.

There's no excuse for going back down to the VFL and not performing because you didn't get much time on ground as a sub.

Reactions: 4 users
Both he and Green have fallen down a hole after being dropped following not much chance when wearing the vest.

The way theyve used the sub this year has been garbage and has likely been a factor in the drop off in form of these two lads.
Kaleb Smith has maintained his level..

Reactions: 7 users
His form and performances didn't warrant a MSD selection. Very speculative pick.
Perfect draft to go with the speculative pick. 6 month deal to have a look at bugger all cost. If the player shows a bit he can be extended for a year, again at minimal cost n do a full pre season to see what develops over a full year. Bargain Basement or Trash n Treasure options, who knows what you might find.

Kaleb Smith has maintained his level..
Seen a few of his games at VFL level now, can still take a long time assessing his options with ball in hand. Don't think he'll get that much time n space at AFL level, so I'm happy if he simply trundles along at VFL level for this year n gets some game mileage under the belt.

Seen a few of his games at VFL level now, can still take a long time assessing his options with ball in hand. Don't think he'll get that much time n space at AFL level, so I'm happy if he simply trundles along at VFL level for this year n gets some game mileage under the belt.
Geez I wish more players would take their time assessing options. Is a very capable player and would love to see him get some AFL time however there's decent competition for spots in the backline including Tresize.

If it is a factor then you'd have to question their mental strength and that plays a big part in success as a player. I personally don't think it has anything to do with it. Both have had injuries and I think it's just taking them a while to try and get their form back. But a spot on the list is cutthroat and time is limited. I suspect with not great having solved our small forward dilemma that at least one will receive another year. .

Geez I wish more players would take their time assessing options. Is a very capable player and would love to see him get some AFL time however there's decent competition for spots in the backline including Tresize.
Get your point 100% about some other players assessing their options, pity they can't bloody hit their options anyway.

As for Kleb's game I'm happy with what I've seen so far, he seems to have plenty of decent game attributes to build with. It was just a small observation that he on a couple of occasions took a bit to long cruising and assessing, trying to find the " perfect " option while coming out of defense and got caught from behind. At AFL intensity he'd be getting caught repeatedly while searching. At junior level, there's time n space. At VFL level there's less time n space so I'm guessing it's just a minor developmental awareness step up that will come with games, because the step to AFL level means less time n space again.

Personally I'd rather take Yassine in his spot. I see more upside with Yassine than I do with Coulthard. I had high hopes for the kid, but I don't think he makes it at AFL level.

Reactions: 2 users
I think the kid has talent and possibly enough to make the grade , taking in all his history ( not bad) and his footballing journey he may simply not love footy or an AFL life may just not be for him .

Big worry for me is when a talented fit player ,plays in the magoos and gets sub double figure numbers regularly

If they are that soft between the ears that being the sub affects them that much there is not a hope in hell of them ever making it in the big time.

Besides the cameo against the hawks last year hasn't really shown much including VFL. Didn't have exposed form in the SANFL before being picked up either having played only 3 games for Glenelg. This was a hail Mary selection. First to be delisted.