Little things that annoy you.... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Little things that annoy you....

a bank supplied number generator not connected to the internet. This is far more secure.
No, it's not. It's no more or less secure than the MFA tools from MS, Google and a multitude of third party implementation you can use. Newer ones are more convenient to use where you can authorise with biometrics in combination with pin / number selection.

Reactions: 1 user
Dealing with numpties on Facebook marketplace. Guaranteed time wasters, tyre kickers and no shows. Why do they bother?

Reactions: 2 users
What are ya sellin Tim? ;)
Firewood, gum. Free!

“Is it still available?”
Yes.

“Where are you situated?”
It’s in the ad.

“What sort of wood is it?”
It’s in the ad.

“Can you hold it til Saturday?“
No, it’s in the ad, “no holds”

“Can you deliver it?”
No.

“I’ll try and get out there next week to get it”
Ok, but I’m not holding it for you.

“I just have to see if I can get my brothers trailer”
Cool…

“Sorry, I’m not going to be able to come and get it, give it to the next person”
Sigh….

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Haha, yes I have had similar experiences.

For the life of me I don't get why people would want to do banking on a phone. I refuse to set up any banking on my phone, a more insecure device I am unlikely to find. I bank on the computer which has security software, and multi-factor authentication is through a bank supplied number generator not connected to the internet. This is far more secure. I remember when we had to set up multi-factor authentication on our phones for work, what a pain, but I suppose that one was unavoidable.

Mind you, where I used to work might have had the security of multi-factor authentication but then all the data is stored on a cloud server owned by the company which runs the database. Doesn't sound so secure to me with all that data from multiple institutions all in one place and being accessed and used via the internet.

DS
Wild take RE secure banking.

A computer is far more easily hacked than a phone. Far more easily.

A little thing that absolutely enrages me is people who roll through a roundabout or merging into traffic without using the accelerator.

I can't begin to describe the fury I feel when I'm behind someone else needing to merge from a standing start, only to find they're merging at 40kmph onto a 80kmph road with traffic coming as I nearly run up their arse.

And I would be the *smile* at fault.

Reactions: 8 users
The Facebook avatars with the megaphone sh*t when people post something... just post the words m*fer, we don't need to see your stupid f*cking megaphone and emoji!

No, it's not. It's no more or less secure than the MFA tools from MS, Google and a multitude of third party implementation you can use. Newer ones are more convenient to use where you can authorise with biometrics in combination with pin / number selection.

Yeah? You would have to know it exists, find it, work out what account it links to and, being a physical object, you have to be in the same place as the number generator. The number can't be read in a text if my phone is hacked, it can't be read in an email etc.

You want secure, not connected to the internet or a communications network is more secure.

DS

Yeah? You would have to know it exists, find it, work out what account it links to and, being a physical object, you have to be in the same place as the number generator. The number can't be read in a text if my phone is hacked, it can't be read in an email etc.

You want secure, not connected to the internet or a communications network is more secure.

DS

The box that allows access knows what number your device should have. It's got the hash of your device.

Trust me, the old RSA type physical fobs are 20 year old technology. Security gets better, not worse.

The box that allows access knows what number your device should have. It's got the hash of your device.

Trust me, the old RSA type physical fobs are 20 year old technology. Security gets better, not worse.

Aah yes, that would explain why scams are reducing so much these days, new technology!

I'm sure the security for banking on a phone is pretty damned good. But the security of a physical object, not attached to the internet, which I know the location of, is very secure. Unless I lose track of said object then I know, 100%, it is not being used by someone else. That's 100% not 99.9%.

Just because a technology is new doesn't mean it is better, which I see every time I go to the footy and fly through the gate with my paper ticket, past all those people with the new smart phone technology. Yes, the smart phone technology is very good, but we saw earlier this year that it ain't perfect (chaos at Docklands as system goes down).

DS

The vast, vast majority of scams target humour behaviour, not 2FA/MFA devices and their backend systems. Actual penetration of a system due to compromising a 2FA/MFA is unheard of.

Modern MFA is based on 3 types of criteria. It checks for something you know (password, pin etc), something you have (dongles, smartphone, access to an email account) and something you are (biometrics; fingerprint, voice etc). Your 1920's dongle doesn't provide modern MFA security.

But hey, if you have faith in your random number fob, cool. Faith can be a powerful thing. Just ask a Scientologist.

Reactions: 1 users
The vast, vast majority of scams target human behaviour, not 2FA/MFA devices and their backend systems. Actual penetration of a system due to compromising a 2FA/MFA is unheard of.

Modern MFA is based on 3 types of criteria. It checks for something you know (password, pin etc), something you have (dongles, smartphone, access to an email account) and something you are (biometrics; fingerprint, voice etc). Your 1920's dongle doesn't provide modern MFA security.

But hey, if you have faith in your random number fob, cool. Faith can be a powerful thing. Just ask a Scientologist.

Newer than the technology used to transmit the internet to my house!

Look, we all know that most scams work on tricking people. But those that involve hacking need a connected device and that to me is a substantial advantage of the number generator, it ain't connected. Even I can't get into internet banking without it.

DS

Again, a modern MFA authentication platform is in no way less secure then an old dongle.

The MFA app won't authenticate on its own or remotely. You need to be on the pre-registered device to receive the authentication request and then authenticate, which typically involves biometrics.

You can steal my banking credentials and phone, if unlocked, and still not get access because of biometrics. Someone can steal your credentials and fob and they'll have full access.

You might be fine with just a fob and how you use it. But don't make the mistake of thinking modern MFA authentication is not as secure as your fob. It's by all means more secure.

Last edited: