Little things that annoy you.... | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Little things that annoy you....

I'm with you on this, making you get an app is just silly. Maybe next time someone tells me that I'll claim I don't have a smart phone (aren't dumb phones a new trend? Hope so, will get around this).

But what really gets me with this sort of thing is that they are massively over-complicating something which should be so simple. I know they are doing it to get the kickbacks from marketing and data, but what they are doing is so much more complicated than it needs to be. You buy a gym membership, they provide access to the gym - nice and simple, nice and easy. Now they make it more difficult for you to access what you paid for. I have never understood why people and organisations want to over-complicate things. Until recently I worked at a university, I spent years resisting putting basic info for students (like who to contact, specific rules for courses/disciplines and the like) into the Learning Management System - the info is not private, not sensitive, not of interest to anyone but the students - why not make it easier for the students to access on a public website rather than making them sign in to get basic info?

DS
I’m not that ancient either. Cusp of millennial and Gen-X. So have the benefit of seeing lower tech and higher tech functionality and hence have a healthy level of skepticism when assessing new introductions as to the relative benefits.

As opposed to the general societal level of critical thought, that appears no more sophisticated than mozzies to a blue light when it comes to new technological additions.

And the shaming undertones are there. Essentially being frowned upon if you don’t accept the gospel belief that one must unquestionably jump on board. As in, like I said earlier, the passive aggressive ….”I can’t understand why you won’t just do it like the rest of us, it’s so much more convenient and really just making things easier for you. Plus, you’re inconveniencing everyone else by not doing it, how selfish.”

Copped that from an extended family member during one of those stupid Christmas Day debates that turn into an argument while standing around BBQ. The fact I don’t have a device (with tracking apps) on my person at all times is a mortal sin in today’s world. “This is the world we live in, just do it.” Mind you, this family member works for a mobile phone provider, so nearly takes my stance as a personal affront.

Regarding the gym. I also told the gym I only have an employer supplied smartphone and we have strict IT policies limiting the types of apps I should be downloading. Not an entire lie, but exaggerated a bit. Have thought of getting a personal phone as well, but will be - like you suggest - a pretty low spec flip phone. Last thing I need is a second smartphone.

Reactions: 1 user
You go to have a whinge and some bastard says you need to provide feedback via the app . . . oh, and you have to rate the app first (rating: don't give a sh&^t).

DS
Had to sign up to two layers of online accounts (with the option of attached apps) to sign my son up for 7YOs introductory cricket. Two more online accounts I won’t maintain and won’t remember the passwords I created anyway.

*smile* continually bombarded with emails to rate the enrolment process. Ignored them until the 4th one came through. Was clear they were going to keep auto-emailing until I responded. Rated it zero stars and wrote a single word comment, “*smile*”.

5mins later get a call from some poor young girl in customer relations at cricket TAS or cricket Aust who just seemed baffled by my total disregard for such unnecessary systems.

Keep getting emails too, to download the two apps attached to the two online accounts. *smile* unrelenting.

Last edited:
How about using his instead of he's.

People lament the standard of schooling these days, well there are plenty of people schooled a long time ago who have a lot of trouble with their English expression.

DS

Reactions: 1 users
How about using his instead of he's.

People lament the standard of schooling these days, well there are plenty of people schooled a long time ago who have a lot of trouble with their English expression.

DS
Paralleling with that, "done" instead of "did". Eg He "done" a good job.

Listening to the absolutely dud commentators calling the VIC Metro game on Sunday, I am convinced we butcher the English language as much as the Americans, if not more. In that game Smillie was "Smiley" and Lalor was "Lawler".

Just to bring up driving again, the idiots were out in full force on the weekend. Endless numbers of drivers sitting in the right hand lane on the freeways driving under the speed limit.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Paralleling with that, "done" instead of "did". Eg He "done" a good job.

Listening to the absolutely dud commentators calling the VIC Metro game on Sunday, I am convinced we butcher the English language as much as the Americans, if not more. In that game Smillie was "Smiley" and Lalor was "Lawler".
Told you before Drof. It's correct but no-one likes it. Everybody still pronounces the suburb as 'Lay-law' but officially it's pronounced 'Law-ler'. Non-stop debate for 40+ years between all neighbours....

Just to bring up driving again, the idiots were out in full force on the weekend. Endless numbers of drivers sitting in the right hand lane on the freeways driving under the speed limit.
That's not "a little thing that annoys" me, it does my head in. As does, when I get stuck behind someone who is doing 10+kph under the speed limit and then the runt runs a yellow/red light.

• Angry
Listen to the first 2 seconds of this.

Yeah I know. The suburb's named after him but the big debate between all neighbours and council in fact has been strong for a long time. I agree with you as "lay-lor" sounds more logical going by the spelling. I really despise hearing "law-ler".

Yeah I know. The suburb's named after him but the big debate between all neighbours and council in fact has been strong for a long time. I agree with you as "lay-lor" sounds more logical going by the spelling. I really despise hearing "law-ler".
Those suggesting "Lawler" in the debate would be wrong then and that in fact, there is no debate.

Those suggesting "Lawler" in the debate would be wrong then and that in fact, there is no debate.
Poor Sam's going to be hounded with this question once he debuts and is interviewed, and I'd say the debate will run through the football media and commentators.

People who 'cheers' their food like they're clinking glasses. And they say 'cheers'. No.

• Wow
Poor Sam's going to be hounded with this question once he debuts and is interviewed, and I'd say the debate will run through the football media and commentators.
Well, I have to admit, even the Irish (where the name originates from) call it a mixture of "Lay-lor" and "Lawler".

Who the hell knows. See, this is what Trump and avocados have done to the world. Chaos.

• Haha
I'm with you on this, making you get an app is just silly. Maybe next time someone tells me that I'll claim I don't have a smart phone (aren't dumb phones a new trend? Hope so, will get around this).

But what really gets me with this sort of thing is that they are massively over-complicating something which should be so simple. I know they are doing it to get the kickbacks from marketing and data, but what they are doing is so much more complicated than it needs to be. You buy a gym membership, they provide access to the gym - nice and simple, nice and easy. Now they make it more difficult for you to access what you paid for. I have never understood why people and organisations want to over-complicate things. Until recently I worked at a university, I spent years resisting putting basic info for students (like who to contact, specific rules for courses/disciplines and the like) into the Learning Management System - the info is not private, not sensitive, not of interest to anyone but the students - why not make it easier for the students to access on a public website rather than making them sign in to get basic info?

DS
Bringing up tech again David.

Got a directive from work, that they need to upgrade our current IPhone. Don’t see the need, would prefer not. The 3 year old one is perfectly fine. Seems absurdly wasteful.

Anyway. The IT people came around to transfer me over to the new phone. I think a Luddite like myself baffles them.

“Shall we transfer your banking apps and cards over?” “Haven’t got any of that.” Confused look….”None??….really??”

“Shall we transfer over your Google Authenticator credentials?” “Don’t think I’ve ever used it.” Baffled look…..”For MFA?” “What’s MFA?” “Multi Factor Authentication.” IT officer picks up phone checks out Google Authenticator, baffled look on face when realises the app has never been touched or set up.

“Shall we sync it to your smart wat….?” Cut her self off realising by now the pointlessness of the question, seeing me raising my wrist to reveal a $40 Casio F-91W.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Bringing up tech again David.

Got a directive from work, that they need to upgrade our current IPhone. Don’t see the need, would prefer not. The 3 year old one is perfectly fine. Seems absurdly wasteful.

Anyway. The IT people came around to transfer me over to the new phone. I think a Luddite like myself baffles them.

“Shall we transfer your banking apps and cards over?” “Haven’t got any of that.” Confused look….”None??….really??”

“Shall we transfer over your Google Authenticator credentials?” “Don’t think I’ve ever used it.” Baffled look…..”For MFA?” “What’s MFA?” “Multi Factor Authentication.” IT officer picks up phone checks out Google Authenticator, baffled look on face when realises the app has never been touched or set up.

“Shall we sync it to your smart wat….?” Cut her self off realising by now the pointlessness of the question, seeing me raising my wrist to reveal a $40 Casio F-91W.

Haha, yes I have had similar experiences.

For the life of me I don't get why people would want to do banking on a phone. I refuse to set up any banking on my phone, a more insecure device I am unlikely to find. I bank on the computer which has security software, and multi-factor authentication is through a bank supplied number generator not connected to the internet. This is far more secure. I remember when we had to set up multi-factor authentication on our phones for work, what a pain, but I suppose that one was unavoidable.

Mind you, where I used to work might have had the security of multi-factor authentication but then all the data is stored on a cloud server owned by the company which runs the database. Doesn't sound so secure to me with all that data from multiple institutions all in one place and being accessed and used via the internet.

DS