Liam McBean | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Liam McBean

Season 1 Joyce GIF by Stranger Things
No chance. Beanie is a 200 footy IQ player. We like our talls at Sub 50 IQ. In fact we give them 3 year contracts.

Reactions: 1 users
Clutch kick after clutch kick. Wow.

At any level of sport, that takes nerves of steel.

He's almost single-handedly got his team over the line. In a grand final. Before a huge crowd.

All while bearing the responsibility of captaincy.

Props to the lad, that is unreal.

Reactions: 12 users
Clutch kick after clutch kick. Wow.

At any level of sport, that takes nerves of steel.

He's almost single-handedly got his team over the line. In a grand final. Before a huge crowd.

All while bearing the responsibility of captaincy.

Props to the lad, that is unreal.
Not almost… he did glenelg were gone!

:clap2 Magnificent display from McJesus.
Tigers by 5 points
Talk about *smile* list management to give him the flick. Big huge contested mark above packs. Great captains game.
Clearly any player that can clunk an overhead mark ,and kick straight from 50 out needs to be moved on.Jay Shultz included.

Reactions: 1 user
He needed to come to us one year later.

Criminal how badly we stuffed up with him.
Really ?

I used to watch a lot of vfl live in those days and he played like a 200cm flanker, it is why I call him the lurker. I am not sure why that would be us stuffing him up? My suspicion is that he wasn't ready for AFL both physically and mentally.

He has never been picked up by any other club in all those years so perhaps he found his level.

Reactions: 3 users
Really ?

I used to watch a lot of vfl live in those days and he played like a 200cm flanker, it is why I call him the lurker. I am not sure why that would be us stuffing him up? My suspicion is that he wasn't ready for AFL both physically and mentally.

He has never been picked up by any other club in all those years so perhaps he found his level.
Is that when he was winning the goal kicking awards?

It's always been my suspicion that we failed McBean, that he was the kinda player who needed some time, work and support, but could get there.

Riewoldt's book confirmed this, when he said that McBean really had no chance in our environment at the time.

A lot was said of his mentality, but he's just captained a side to premiership with a BOG. I reckon he's got the temperament.

When we are playing/paying talls like Samson, Koschitzke, Naismith...

If McBean has found his level, it's a level beyond what they have found.

Reactions: 2 users
Both. He always wins goal kicking awards.

Won the Frosty Miller in 2015.
Billy Gowers won the frosty miller this year, let’s go and recruit him.
It always bemuses me that some can’t just accept that Liam MacBean didn’t make it at Richmond because he wasn’t good enough. He was a skinny opportunistic forward in those days who could kick goals in the 2nd tier but just wasn’t up to AFL footy.
That’s fine and as he matured he has become a terrific SANFL forward and clearly a leader as well. Good on him.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
It always bemuses me that some can’t just accept that Liam MacBean didn’t make it at Richmond because he wasn’t good enough. He was a skinny opportunistic forward in those days who could kick goals in the 2nd tier but just wasn’t up to AFL footy.
That’s fine and as he matured he has become a terrific SANFL forward and clearly a leader as well. Good on him.
The thing about McBean at the time he was at Richmond. Whose spot was he going to take? Jack? Would we have had Lynch if we’d kept McBean?

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe it's not so binary.

I don't doubt he had deficiencies. But he was developed through the leading teams culture. Who have been shown to be borderline negligent in their practices.

Some players were so immediately ready for AFL that they emerged through it. Some could have got there with the right support.

It's always going to be academic. But I firmly believe McBean could have been a champion with us, with the right support.

FWIW, I'd take him next year.

geez plenty of hindsight Harry's about on this thread.

I watched the majority of his VFL games (quite a few sitting with his family) & that was his level.

Couldnt count how many times he flew for marks with his head down and arms up.

The very reason we called him a small forward as he played like one.

Seeems to have matured & is a very very good state league player but not an AFL quality forward

Reactions: 3 users
geez plenty of hindsight Harry's about on this thread.

I watched the majority of his VFL games (quite a few sitting with his family) & that was his level.

Couldnt count how many times he flew for marks with his head down and arms up.

The very reason we called him a small forward as he played like one.

Seeems to have matured & is a very very good state league player but not an AFL quality forward
That's a difference of opinion.

I also went to most of those games. I saw a forward with Riewoldt level footy iq, and skills.

He gained a lot of height late in his junior years, and needed time to learn how to use it. He was always going to be a project, but one we failed to work on.

We al
That's a difference of opinion.

I also went to most of those games. I saw a forward with Riewoldt level footy iq, and skills.

He gained a lot of height late in his junior years, and needed time to learn how to use it. He was always going to be a project, but one we failed to work on.
We all have differences of opinion which is all good, it’s what this forum is about in the end.
I wish he was 26 and not 30 because he may have been worth a couple of years whilst young forwards develop. Even at 30 he would probably be better than Kosy as a back up.
Not sure it is worth it now given where we are but if Lynch gets injured again we will have the same issues again. Lefau won’t play until mid season I suspect.
He doesn’t look like the same player, physically much bigger than he was which obviously helps him a lot.