Liam McBean | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Liam McBean

geez plenty of hindsight Harry's about on this thread.

I watched the majority of his VFL games (quite a few sitting with his family) & that was his level.

Couldnt count how many times he flew for marks with his head down and arms up.

The very reason we called him a small forward as he played like one.

Seeems to have matured & is a very very good state league player but not an AFL quality forward
Spot on Taz. Lots of clubs have had the opportunity to take him after us & none have. Says plenty.

7 straight goals in the GF of a competitive league says it all

who gives a toss about 'levels'

Reactions: 2 users
Spot on Taz. Lots of clubs have had the opportunity to take him after us & none have. Says plenty.

Or maybe a lot of clubs have asked him & he told them that he was very happy where he is. We don't know. But I will say that I seriously doubt he'd move back to the AFL at 30 yrs old, disrupting his family, career situation etc for a possible couple of years.

Good luck to him & it's fantastic that he's doing so well.

Reactions: 2 users
7 straight goals in the GF of a competitive league says it all

who gives a toss about 'levels'
Interested in what "all" is.

I give a toss about levels, otherwise I'd be spruiking for Mervyn 'Slim Shady' McCavendishson who kicked 13 for Tyntynda in last week's GF.*

* I made that up. But my Dad did play a season for Tyntynda, along with Ballan (won the seniors league goalkicking as a 5'9" 17yo FP), Waubra, East Ballarat, Mirboo North, Golden Square.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That's a difference of opinion.

I also went to most of those games. I saw a forward with Riewoldt level footy iq, and skills.

He gained a lot of height late in his junior years, and needed time to learn how to use it. He was always going to be a project, but one we failed to work on.
anyone with Riewoldt level footy IQ is a rare beast, disagree that Liam is such a beast

geez plenty of hindsight Harry's about on this thread.

I watched the majority of his VFL games (quite a few sitting with his family) & that was his level.

Couldnt count how many times he flew for marks with his head down and arms up.

The very reason we called him a small forward as he played like one.

Seeems to have matured & is a very very good state league player but not an AFL quality forward
Yep. This is our biggest Clayton's thread on here.

7 goals at State level is a clear level below AFL.
The legend of McJesus grows the longer he's out of the AFL system.
It's not just 7 goals at state level. It's 4 goals in a prelim, 7 goals in a grand final while captaining against the best opposition at state level.

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder whether Liam may have been kept on the list if the club had know that Ben Griffiths was only going to play two more games and retire after Liam was delisted.
We ended up going with the small forward line which was probably partly out of necessity due to a lack of tall forwards.

To single handedly lift his team over the line in a grand final in front of 35,000 people takes enormous mental strength. Not to mention technique and skill.

Whether he would have been an AFL career if given another chance - Leysy is very confident at another time and/or club he would have.

End of the day none of us know what different sliding doors would have led to.

What we do know, our clubs leadership program at the time didn't support him ( and others) to give him anywhere near the best opportunity to succeed. And at just 21 he was desisted.

Jack and no doubt Trent would one million percent agree with that.

We also know he's been the best key forward outside the AFL over the past 5 years and is a SA state and Glenelg football club legend.

Regardless of any conjecture he's made a lucrative and successful career at Glenelg that has helped set his life up and will have him spoken about for many many years to come.

Good on him.

Reactions: 5 users
Agree with the comments McBean is a great state league footballer.
Congrats to him, great to see him doing well for the Tigers.

Reactions: 1 user