Jacob Townsend | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jacob Townsend

I love the fact we seemed to have added another abstract tangent to our team.

The fact he is a noted hard nut is just the icing on the cake.

Adds the sting to our psycho forward setup, the Scorpions Whip if you like.

Imagine the poor opposition defender who's trying his best to dodge our fast little bullets only to get plumbed by The Bazooka!!! :p

I look forward to him playing on Hawthorns Sicily too but I digress...

If we could only exchange Grigg for Miles, I'd feel a lot more confident!

tigerlove said:
Apparently the worst defensive stats of any small forward. Doesn't sound like it fits in too well with our forward mantra.

Not saying I want him, just the opposite. His career may be nearing the end.

lamb22 said:
?????? Did we draft Callan Ward or Jeremy Cameron?

Don't think Townsend ever finished anywhere near the top ten.

Pretty sure he won the B&F the last year prior to them joining AFL when they were all kids playing in a different competition.

So if he has an ordinary game v st kilda and gets dropped for Caddy for the finals does he get a contract extension for 2018 based on 1 good game?

tigertim said:
So if he has an ordinary game v st kilda and gets dropped for Caddy for the finals does he get a contract extension for 2018 based on 1 good game?
No!

caesar said:

this guy has worked hard over the past months, got an opportunity last week and he took it and made the most of it.
He has a role to play, if its sitting on a half back runner, so be it. The fact is, he will give his all and have a hard crack at it.

We need hardness for finals.

tigertim said:

I think so, tim. All he had to do was produce at AFL level to get another year of development. He's clearly profited from his time with Fly.

BTW I think he'll kick a couple this week anyway. But IMO he's a forward not a mid so he'll have to.

Just a little more on Townsend. That was no fluke. The opposition was weak and he dispatched it. Was robbed of a free and certain goal. And spilled three. A level up this week his athleticism will be tested but he can manage a bloke like Roberton. A new challenge for him.

On his time at GWS I've never seen a worse educated player than the bloke we picked up almost two years ago. He's a footballer now.

Dyer'ere said:
I think so, tim. All he had to do was produce at AFL level to get another year of development. He's clearly profited from his time with Fly.

BTW I think he'll kick a couple this week anyway. But IMO he's a forward not a mid so he'll have to.

Just a little more on Townsend. That was no fluke. The opposition was weak and he dispatched it. Was robbed of a free and certain goal. And spilled three. A level up this week his athleticism will be tested but he can manage a bloke like Roberton. A new challenge for him.

On his time at GWS I've never seen a worse educated player than the bloke we picked up almost two years ago. He's a footballer now.
6 goals in 1 game but just 4 more goals in his other 32 games indicates it might've been a little bit of a fluke game Jack.

33 games over 6 seasons also indicates he's had time to develop.

And maybe now Townsend is going to deliver ... maybe the penny has dropped ... the Saints will test (might even target) him so it will be interesting to see how he stands up against some heat.

And if Townsend does stand up or at least break even in his role then that is a bonus for it shifts and lessens the focus and heat that is directed towards Riewoldt.
If he plays well against the Saints it will be an interesting selection dilemma for the coaches when having to make a decision about Caddy's return.

Is there any merit in deliberately giving away frees deep in the F50? Jack gets a lot of extra pressure that would see him have 5-6 free shots at goal every week if his name was Buddy. So could you deploy J_Town early in a final to crunch a couple of blokes looking to double team or impede Jack's run at the ball? You give away a deep free for blocking but we are close to top in the league for getting that ball back and it will put the thought in the defenders head and force the umps to look out for it.

I'm not a huge Townsend fan, however, I do like the thought of him and Caddy down in the fwd line together in the finals. Even if it's Townsend job to purely smash through some blokes and just make Jacks job a little easier. It will also allow Caddy to go in the middle for longer periods and release dusty fwd which I think is our definite X factor in September. The best thing is it seems Townsend has a knack for kicking goals now. He has done it all year in the VfL and translated that to the seniors last week. Can we rely on just Caddy after a hammy for the finals? Both blokes can play fwd and stints on ball. Both are as hard as it gets and u need toughness in finals. I reckon they both could get a gig in September. Tmrw is a big day for Jacob.

Reckon Towner fell into a perfect spot last week, popped up out of nowhere while the opposition weren't looking. Sainters will have an eye on him this week so I'll be more than comfortable if he simply plays his role up forward. If he bangs a few bodies n brings some pressure than there's enough team mates all capable of kicking multiple goals n taking full advantage.
Hardest thing for the opposition to cover is the multiple scoring options, they never know who to try n cover.
Jaaack, Geezer, Rioli, George, Towner, Caddy, Shai, Lloyd, Stengle, all at times during the season bringing plenty of pressure to opposition defences and each capable of kicking or setting up multiple goals. Throw mids like Dusty, Lamblett, Cotch or Nank etc into the forward half at times as well and there's constantly a heap of players that can hit the scoreboard hard.

tigertim said:

NO, but we will keep the meek panic merchants because they are 'good runners'...

Every successful team in the finals has a romantic story. Towner may yet turn out to be ours. Strong and tough can be very handy traits when the real stuff is being decided.

achillesjones said:
Every successful team in the finals has a romantic story. Towner may yet turn out to be ours. Strong and tough can be very handy traits when the real stuff is being decided.

Maybe he's our 2017 version of Peter Woosher Welsh.

19th man for the seconds in the last round and then promoted to the seniors for the finals. I can still remember him dragging Turner by the hair around the VFL Park wing in the 2nd semi

6 goals last week against peel thunder. Let's see how he goes today against a desperate Stkilda side.
Not confident about him just yet!