How far off are we really? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

How far off are we really?

67 special

Tiger Matchwinner
May 12, 2009
We were crap against North....career worst games by some of our prime movers etc...I don't think they are a better side than us pound for pound.....yet North go on to a Prelim Final......and arguably if they had come up against Freo rather than West coast, might be in the GF this week......So how far away are we really? Obviously there are so many variables it's impossible to predict, but luck plays a massive part.....when you consider North's passage through the finals......we could very well have found ourselves in a GF this season.....aside from the small matter of us not being able to hack playing in finals... :(

Depends who you talk too.

For mine I think we have a good enough team to get to the prelims and maybe a GF or two. But we're a couple of A Graders short of winning a flag just yet.

We need our leaders to lead in a final and hide in their shells.

Baloo said:
We need our leaders to lead in a final and hide in their shells.

We'd be better show if they came out of their shells IMO

Talent and list-wise we're 2 players off I reckon, 1 gun 1 good, we need that at the top level and it will shuffle everyone down the order to increase depth. And we have to get over the tigerwobbles.

No doubt we are a couple of players short.....a big bodied mid, a quality ruckman to take over from Ivan who has been fantastic, but struggles against the best in the comp, and maybe also a small forward....But it's surprising how close we could have got this year, just with what we have.....so it may not be too far away.....Geez someone like a Dangerfield would be good..... I think I saw somewhere that Jaeger O'Meara is likely to leave GC at end of next season...if so, we need to make a huge effort to get him.

long way off winning a flag - that is why the club has been targeting A grade talent.

Let's not forget we've been pretty blessed with injuries for 2 years now. If we were to lose a couple of key players we really have no depth to come in line the genuine top sides.

tiger_25 said:
Let's not forget we've been pretty blessed with injuries for 2 years now. If we were to lose a couple of key players we really have no depth to come in line the genuine top sides.

I'd say this year we did have our fair share of injuries.

So as to avoid specifics...

Speed off the Backline (Castagna or Yarran?)
Speed through the Middle (Menadue)
Speed up Forward (Yarran or Bennell?)
A ruck who can get to competing with the gun rucks of the comp (empty)
A beast of mid (empty)

For me, while it isn't ideal, the list also isn't looking too dire.

Go Tigers!

i'd say we are a lot closer than the Weagles were 12 months ago. but probably not as close as Port were.

Given the change amongst some of the high ranking teams this year & next, we could provide ourselves with a legitimate chance. The proviso is that the club just doesn't expect it to happen.
Sydney are treading water, Hawk, Freo & North another year older with some of their stars.
We have shown we can beat the top teams.

tigersnake said:
We'd be better show if they came out of their shells IMO

Talent and list-wise we're 2 players off I reckon, 1 gun 1 good, we need that at the top level and it will shuffle everyone down the order to increase depth. And we have to get over the tigerwobbles.
My take too. I think natural improvement and two players as described could be the difference. And maybe a better ruck too (sorry Ivan).