Hawx delist Thorp with a year to go under contract. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hawx delist Thorp with a year to go under contract.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Interesting to hear Mitch Thorp delisted by Hawx with a year to run on contract.

No stuffing around at Hawthorn, same cant be said of the RFC of recent.

Re: Thorpe delisted

he must be cheap to pay out?

because, McMahon, Hislop should be gone!

:)

DirtyDogTiger said:
As I recall Thorpe with Gumblton and Hansen, Ryder etc...was on of those early picked highly rated talls in the 05 Superdraft

Definitely was. JR still proving to be one of if not the best performed KPF from that so called Superdraft

The 06 draft was not lived up to the hype thus far, Jack remains the best performing tall.

Btw Thorpe was taken the pick before…. Joel Selwood.

Differing scenarios have been rumored re Thorp at the Hawx.

One - brought his own mirror and was pretty fond of himself.

Two - Bad attitude

Three- Injury prone and ravaged - soft body.

Four - Not up to it poor ethic.

Maybe combination of all.

craig said:
Maybe combination of all.

Geez Craig, thought you were writing my footy biography there for a minute, phew thank god for Thorpey eh! ;D Or was it an autobiography you were writing :hihi

Just goes to show the vagaries of the ND. Taken before Selwood was Thorpe and seen as the great hope - guess they have there own Tambling/Buddy dilemma in Thorpe/Selwood :hihi

I expect Mitch to be at Tigerland.

It was said to me he requested to be traded and he requested Richmond with Damian.

Apparently we were in talks with the Hawks all of the last day to swap Pattison for Thorp, but the Hawks wanted a swap of Draft Picks, particularly 19 for 39 to complete the deal and we said no. It was a directive that we were going into trade week and not losing any picks.

We would have done the straight swap. Hawks wanted extra.

As it stands, it looks like we'll get Thorp for nothing in the PSD, and the Hawks may yield the same with Pattison in the National Draft if he is delisted.

My thoughts, since then, Thorp has since been a bad egg for the Hawks, demanding to get out and they have come to a decision to delist him and you may find it is a mutual breaking of the contract as the Hawks need some salary space. Thorp's management may be confident a deal will be done with Richmond, hence the break up.

I suppose we will find out soon enough. ;D

"He just hasn't been able to get a clean run at it," Hawks football manager Mark Evans said yesterday.

Thorp, called up early this season to play a back-up ruck role, developed soreness after returning to play for Box Hill in the VFL.

"It started to become painful during and after games," Evans said.

"It doesn't look like a new injury. We think it might have been there for a while, but for the last couple of years it hasn't been an issue."

Thorp faces an uphill battle to maintain a stranglehold on a spot on Hawthorn's list. But Evans said the club was in no mood to give up on Thorp, who played only one game this year for four disposals.

Entering 2009 he had played only one game -- an impressive debut in 2007.

Groin injuries have been the biggest issue for Thorp, a 20-year-old who stands 194cm and weighs 88kg.

"Look, he can play footy. He is a strong mark and a good kick," Evans said. "We will give him a chance to get over this and prove himself."

http://injuryupdate.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8249

Yeah, I think I read that somewhere too mate. He also played on the same Tassie VFL and junior teams as Hislop and Reiwoldt FWIW.