hardwick smart | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

hardwick smart

5 afl games in a row for a first year mid is standard practice for a rest, especially ones that start and stay in the guts.
in addition to this the boys have just come back from WA and hard grounds so i think its a very smart decision

RedanTiger said:
Agreed.

Never going to find out if these kids can play unless we pitchfork them in to the guts. They're never going to learn about the pressure of AFL footy unless you put them head to head with the senior players week in/week out.
Nobody plays AFL without some niggling injuries. These young blokes have got to learn the realities of professional sport.

After all this time of putting up with long term losers like Simmonds, Tuck, Jackson and even Cousins, it's about time we put players like Browne, Martin, Cotchin and Nason up against some decent class to find out what they are made of.

C'mon Reddy, I thought you were somewhat smarter than that. ;D

Don't forget the Cats did the same with Joel Selwood and gave him 3 rets during his first year.
He seems to have turned out to be a reasonable player !
Very durable too.
Rarely misses through injury.

you have got to be kidding. If they were both fit then it would be a bloody disgrace if the RFC did not play them against the best of the competition. Honestly it just bemuses me the way that some people think. You want your best out playing one of the best sides so they learn. A rest after this many rounds - give me a break. They arent bloody princesses.

I support this move in principle, but since we're playing Geelong I hate the vibe it generates.

It feels like we're bracing ourselves for a big blow before the fight's even begun... we're walking into the arena knowing we've already been thrashed.

Don't like that feeling of seemingly caving in to intimidation (even if it genuinely is routine rest or genuine injury) - would prefer to rest the boys against Adelaide in Round 7.

thomas the tiger said:
Have we all gone soft. Resting players, I have heard it all.

Geelong are a side with big bodies, so why would you want Cotch and Martin too be smashed by them so early in their careers especially if they are sore or injured?.... it's no as if we have some hard men in our side to protect them?.... Cotch and Martin will get their chance to face Geelong later in the year or against the Saints or Bulldogs!.
A lot easier bringing in one or two kids in a side surrounded by men, than bringing in six kids in a side surrounded by our senior players that are'nt that much bigger than the kids that are being played.

Hardwick knows what he is doing.

Tubytiger said:
you have got to be kidding. If they were both fit then it would be a bloody disgrace if the RFC did not play them against the best of the competition. Honestly it just bemuses me the way that some people think. You want your best out playing one of the best sides so they learn. A rest after this many rounds - give me a break. They arent bloody princesses.

Yeah smart and as soon as one of them broke down you would be the first to ridicule the RFC fitness and conditioning staff!

WesternTiger said:
Yeah smart and as soon as one of them broke down you would be the first to ridicule the RFC fitness and conditioning staff!

After what 5 rounds - yer right einstein.

RedanTiger said:
Agreed.

Never going to find out if these kids can play unless we pitchfork them in to the guts. They're never going to learn about the pressure of AFL footy unless you put them head to head with the senior players week in/week out.
Nobody plays AFL without some niggling injuries. These young blokes have got to learn the realities of professional sport.

After all this time of putting up with long term losers like Simmonds, Tuck, Jackson and even Cousins, it's about time we put players like Browne, Martin, Cotchin and Nason up against some decent class to find out what they are made of.

Rock logic Redan!

Martin is third in the league for clearance work so far isn't he - hard worker for a kid. Look at the model "Swans", they had Gary Rohan play the NAB Cup, and still we ahven't seen him - smart if you don't have too.

Don'y know about rating Damien on this as smart - smart would have been leaving Polak on the Rookie list til he was to play.

Tubytiger said:
After what 5 rounds - yer right einstein.

Yeah why not? Cotchin is still on a personalised program while Martin has been playing in the guts for the past 5 weeks. Its called player management!

WesternTiger said:
Yeah why not? Cotchin is still on a personalised program while Martin has been playing in the guts for the past 5 weeks. Its called player management!

First of all - where have i ever blamed the fitness staff for anything? Ridiculous. As for your statements on Cotchin - how many players in the AFL are on personalised programs? Martin has been playing in the guts the last few weeks; so he should of been, he is a gun and no problem there. So we come up against the cats this week. He'd bloody love it. But we come up against the cats this week so we say to him "look, gee we are playing the cats this week, one of the best teams in the AFL, have a break mate, we'll play you next week against a team lower on the ladder which may be a bit easier on you". I know what i'd tell the selectors being a professional footballer and wanting to win.

Phar Ace said:
Don'y know about rating Damien on this as smart - smart would have been leaving Polak on the Rookie list til he was to play.

You're assuming that was a Beavis decision as opposed to the CC decision.

Fantastic move by the club to actually manage the development of their new blood. How un Richmond like is that? Needless to say i am sure under this coaching team, (who are doing a fabulous job by the way) they would have been rested irrespective of who we played this week.

Take Martin he has been fantastic so far, but to let him stop, take a breath and recover a little is very clever, in the best interests of the club, the player and the supporters.

We get to see him in full flight again next week.

Damien you have my vote, you have made more sense as our coach in six months, than i have seen since Tommy Hafey was the main man.

:)

Its amazing seeing a coach in action who has their eye on the future as opposed to getting quick runs on the board so he looks good in the media.

Tubytiger said:
First of all - where have i ever blamed the fitness staff for anything? Ridiculous. As for your statements on Cotchin - how many players in the AFL are on personalised programs? Martin has been playing in the guts the last few weeks; so he should of been, he is a gun and no problem there. So we come up against the cats this week. He'd bloody love it. But we come up against the cats this week so we say to him "look, gee we are playing the cats this week, one of the best teams in the AFL, have a break mate, we'll play you next week against a team lower on the ladder which may be a bit easier on you". I know what i'd tell the selectors being a professional footballer and wanting to win.
I think you'd find a hell of a lot are on personalised programs but managing an injury is an individual thing.

I know it's probably not a realistic thing either but wouldn't you want stronger bodies a'la Jackson, Polo, thursfield et al if you strategically wanted to go after Geelong.......

Yeah I knnow .......Dumb statement!!!! :hihi