Hands up if you think JR is a skinny flanker with an attitude disorder? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Hands up if you think JR is a skinny flanker with an attitude disorder?

Big Cat Lover said:
? Why can't you just accept you are wrong?

So you still think he is a third tall? Wouldn't that mean we would use him less? Or are the other 2 talls decoys? Please explain as I'm another nuffy who can't understand your logic.
What do you really think Jack will get the Luxary of the weekend where Worsfold refused to double up on Jack?Even against the Saints.All was fine with Jack when he was given the same lattitude by Lyon until we got close.Jack simply hasn,t got the bulk like a Brown or Richo to cope with it.So you give the opposition a headache by putting him out on the flank.Like i said its all about the TEAM.

Barnzy said:
I still can't understand your logic either. You've been calling him a flanker/3rd tall too then you changed your story to "he would be better used on a flank" as people questioned it. I quite clearly remember you saying he wasn't a KPF, your excuse was something about not beating his opponnents enough or taking contested marks when I asked why he wasn't a KPF. You were wrong, plain and simple. It's okay, you can admit it. We're all wrong at some point or another.

He's a contested marking FF, why take him away from his natural position and strengths? For him to be pushed out to the flank wouldn't Griffiths/Astbury have to be better than him and overtake his current role? I don't see that happening. Astbury is also playing and developing in the backline.
Lets see when he gets double teamed.

Skip, no one actually plays on the half forward flank anymore. Do you think opposition coaches are going to put a bank flanker type on him simply because he walks over to the flank position at the start of the game. Reilwoldt is always going to be a key target inside 50 for us, especially the long bomb when required as his contesting marking is so good - so by default if nothing else he is going to be a KPF for us, regardless of the inclusion of Griffiths and Polak types. If Glass had played, he would have played on Reiwoldt. For quite some time opposition clubs will be playing their best key backs on him.

And as for double teaming, I can't recall the last "flanker" that was required to be double teamed.

CptJonno2Madcow2005 said:
What do you really think Jack will get the Luxary of the weekend where Worsfold refused to double up on Jack?Even against the Saints.All was fine with Jack when he was given the same lattitude by Lyon until we got close.Jack simply hasn,t got the bulk like a Brown or Richo to cope with it.So you give the opposition a headache by putting him out on the flank.Like i said its all about the TEAM.

Its not only last week, he's leading the Coleman medal. Yes in terms of the team as a whole he needs help but that doesn't make him a HFF. He's one of the best contested marks in the game now despite his seeming lack of bulk that makes him a KPF.

jb03 said:
Skip, no one actually plays on the half forward flank anymore. Do you think opposition coaches are going to put a bank flanker type on him simply because he walks over to the flank position at the start of the game. Reilwoldt is always going to be a key target inside 50 for us, especially the long bomb when required as his contesting marking is so good - so by default if nothing else he is going to be a KPF for us, regardless of the inclusion of Griffiths and Polak types. If Glass had played, he would have played on Reiwoldt. For quite some time opposition clubs will be playing their best key backs on him.

And as for double teaming, I can't recall the last "flanker" that was required to be double teamed.
JB.Do you want to get into the same senerio that we have seen over the past 17yrs where we always looked for one player. Richo.how great the Big lug was we can,t afford to fall down the same trap.Your right in saying no coach will dble team someone on a HFF.Well then use that to our advantage.Jack is great in the one on one contest.Jack playing that position will open things up for the Team IMO.

JB.Do you want to get into the same senerio that we have seen over the past 17yrs where we always looked for one player. Richo.how great the Big lug was we can,t afford to fall down the same trap.Your right in saying no coach will dble team someone on a HFF.Well then use that to our advantage.Jack is great in the one on one contest.Jack playing that position will open things up for the Team IMO.

That's why we develop a CHF to compliment Riewoldt at FF.

You think they want Jack as our only avenue to goal?

Why do you think we drafted Post/Astbury/Griffiths/Taylor? To provide other marking options. Positions are irrelevant really, Jack is a KPF who hopefully will have a couple of other traditional marking forwards in support.

Just admit you were and are wrong to say Jack is not a KPF - you'll feel better

What i am saying is whats best for the Team

If we have a FF and CHF working together, neither crowding each other out then that is best for the team.

C'mon Cap'n, if The Fonz could say it, so can you. You'lle feel much better.
You know another thing I find odd about the JR debate is the misconception STILL in the media and on here that he isnt big. I think it must be that he doesnt have Troy Simmonds-like muscle definition in his arms, but Jeez he must have some muscle in his core and arse. Check the numbers, he is Nick Reiwoldt and Jon Brown size.

tigergollywog said:
C'mon Cap'n, if The Fonz could say it, so can you. You'lle feel much better.
You know another thing I find odd about the JR debate is the misconception STILL in the media and on here that he isnt big. I think it must be that he doesnt have Troy Simmonds-like muscle definition in his arms, but Jeez he must have some muscle in his core and arse. Check the numbers, he is Nick Reiwoldt and Jon Brown size.

195cm, 93kg apparently. Still at 21 you would expect someone who came into the system like Jnr Roo did to not be physically developed yet. Has some maturing to do yet. I reckon he can put on another few kgs and I think he has to playing his natural FF, contested marking role. Although he knows he to use his body and smarts very well and he already dominates oppositions KPD's.

Leysy Days said:
Hopefully Griffiths can stand up so we can put him on the other flank.

:hihi

Then we can have Robin Nahas the KPF up at FF. We have it all worked it, what a set-up!

Riewoldt's strength this year has really surprised me. He can go toe to toe with the strongest key backs in the league now.
Obviously his work in the gym over summer has paid off & importantly hasn't effected his pace or mobility like I feared.
I think it's pretty safe to call him a genuine key forward skip.

Yeah, he is like an old fashioned full forward, eh. He has resurrected the dying art of goalsquare wrestling.

best thing about him though in the last few weeks is that when he lines up from a reasonable angle you are highly confident he will slot it. Sat behind about 4 or 5 of his goals last week and they were gunbarrel straight. Kicking action looks perfect.

evo said:
Yeah, he is like an old fashioned full forward, eh. He has resurrected the dying art of goalsquare wrestling.

And isn't it great to watch. Nothing beats having a dominant forward, when the ball goes forward we all look on in knowing anticipation.

A couple more preseasons and a few more kgs of muscle and Jack could be challenging his cousin as the best key position forward in the game. He is a very similiar size and build to Nick so there is no reason he can't play the same sort of role (personally I think Jack will be a better contested mark whereas Nick is more of an endurance runner who get a lot of marks on the lead).

In terms of his attitude I think Jack is great, many people thought Carey, Hart & Brereton were all arrogant but these 3 are the best center half forwards to ever play. If Jack can be anywhere near as good as these guys he will be up there with Richo in Tiger's fan memories.

Tigerbob said:
And isn't it great to watch. Nothing beats having a dominant forward, when the ball goes forward we all look on in knowing anticipation.

The St Kilda game and the Eagles games had a Riewoldt buzz about them that I haven't even heard since the Richo days. The roar every time the ball went into the forward 50 is huge at the moment. The Richmond crowd over the last two weeks actually expect Riewoldt to pluck everything, almost to the point of shock when he hasn't. Not a bad shock or a he's not good enough shock, just surprised that he didn't get it.

And I think Jack gets that. I think to a small degree he gets the plight of the Richmond supporter. He feeds off the crowd, the small fist pumps walking back to the square acknowledging the crowd after a goal, the turning to the crowd after the 10th. Jack clearly wanted to share that with the crowd, he fed off it. It was a cracking day.

The things I like most about JR’s display I didn't notice till I watched the replay. Jack tapping Schofield on the shoulder after the terrible free kick in the third ofr number 6 or 7. Jack kicked the goal and on the way back to the square watched the replay, shook his head as to dismiss the free kick and patted Schofield on the shoulder. Class act. Also the hug between Connors and Jack after the game. Best mates, house mates who had gone through the Connors suspension worked through it, got Connors back in the 1's and were able to enjoy the moment together. Don't undersell the role Jack takes in Connors future.

The interview JR gave to SEN after the game was very controlled, just about mentioned every one of his teammates on the day and talked about it was his job to finsih off the good work of others. Dermie credited him with giving such a mature interview and how much it reeked of leadership potentials. Cotchin and Jack are the leaders of this club moving forward. No doubt.