GWS Chasing Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GWS Chasing Martin

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Reported on triple M that the Greater Western Sydney is targeting Dustin Martin.
Offering $500,000 a season. Unsure what the contract length is.
Kevin Sheedy very keen to get him to the club.

As far as i see it, if a player goes, they go, whet can you do. You can only pay them what they are worth to you, he aint a 500k player just yet.

do they get an uncontracted player from every club like the GC do, but at the end of 2011?

LidsBling&Cotch said:
do they get an uncontracted player from every club like the GC do, but at the end of 2011?
they get an access to an uncontracted player from each club, but can sign them at the end of 2011, or 2012.

Brodders17 said:
they get an access to an uncontracted player from each club, but can sign them at the end of 2011, or 2012.

cheers brodders

in 2 years martin would almost be worth $500k anyway

Heard it too... Lyon basically said GWS werent chasing the 24-26 yr olds, they were going to chase the guys who are 18-19 now and will be 22 when GWS come in.

He then went on to say that Martin is the one at the top of their list having the Sydney link to his old man.

If he signed for 3yrs like CC says ( and we all know CC knows his stuff) then its all hopefully a load of hot air.

Ripplestick said:
If he signed for 3yrs like CC says ( and we all know CC knows his stuff) then its all hopefully a load of hot air.

True,they can't touch him if thats the case & Lyon should look into things more before mouthing off

Ripplestick said:
Heard it too... Lyon basically said GWS werent chasing the 24-26 yr olds, they were going to chase the guys who are 18-19 now and will be 22 when GWS come in.

He then went on to say that Martin is the one at the top of their list having the Sydney link to his old man.

Martin's contract ends 2012. So that puts him in line for GWS to snar him then.

Richmond should try to extended his contract end of 2011, cutting GWS off.

se7en said:

how do you work that out partner when they enter the competition in 2012 ::)..you wanna think about that some more

BillyJean17 said:
how do you work that out partner when they enter the competition in 2012 ::)..you wanna think about that some more

What's stoping GWS signing players up after they join the comp? ???
Do you think once they join the comp they're going to stop chasing players?
They are cashed up, bigger salary cap, will have plenty of youth on their list and prepared to do deals.

IMO GC and GWS will struggle to sign a big name player until after they join the comp.

If you think that GC and GWS are not going to chase players after they join the comp then you have have no idea :rofl

BillyJean17 said:

GWS have access to uncontracted players at the end of 2011 and 2012. one from each club. ::).. you wanna apologise to 7

se7en said:

I'm sure the club is aware of that Se7en's. I reckon we'll be in a good position $$$wise and hopefully we'll be on the improve by then. Hope so anyway. Get the right club culture and it'll make it easier for players to stay

Brodders17 said:
GWS have access to uncontracted players at the end of 2011 and 2012. one from each club. ::).. you wanna apologise to 7

Cheers Brodders, but I wont be holding my breath. ;)

Thought GWs got the same conditions as the GC?Access to an uncontracted player from each club before they enter the comp and thats it?

willo said:
I'm sure the club is aware of that Se7en's. I reckon we'll be in a good position $$$wise and hopefully we'll be on the improve by then. Hope so anyway. Get the right club culture and it'll make it easier for players to stay

I'm sure they are too.

IMO GWS and GC will struggle to sign any big name player before they enter the comp. They'll end up getting other clubs second best players.
The interesting stuff will happen after the new clubs have been in the system for 1 - 2 years. The big name players will come out of their new/current contracts. That's going to be the time they be able to pinch a big name or two.

Brodders17 said:

So after being in the comp for 1 yr they still get to poach uncontracted players ? Why cant the Gold Coast ?

French Tiger said:
So after being in the comp for 1 yr they still get to poach uncontracted players ? Why cant the Gold Coast ?

they need to, look where they are mate. absolute RL heartland

LidsBling&Cotch said:
they need to, look where they are mate. absolute RL heartland

Doesn't matter where you are when there is a draft & one that favours them heavily