Growing Up | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Growing Up

TOT70 said:
The growing up started during the nine wins last year. You could see the penny dropping each week as more and more players realised that they could match any team. They developed a winning habit during that period. They also worked out that as long as they stayed in games they could change the flow. They have become very good at games like this weekend's game against the Hawks. When it is tight, they will win most.

The final stage in their progression to being a good side is to learn how to come out all guns blazing, open up a commanding lead in the first half and shut the other team out. They need to score more for that to happen.

Yeah, good point Tottie. The run of nine meaningless wins to get us into the finals built a mindset in the team that they do belong. The shocking Eliminate was due, imho, to the fact that making the finals was our #1 priority and it's all we focused on until we got there. Once there, it was too hard to reset. We'd reached the pinnacle of last year.

A couple of weeks back I alluded to Chimps roughhouse tactics coming across as forced. Not Friday night though. Going straight up to Hodge and giving him a clip with the grin on his face showed that this new aggression isn't manufactured, the team has it.

He was always that good. He's a #6 pick for a reason.

TOT70 said:
The growing up started during the nine wins last year. You could see the penny dropping each week as more and more players realised that they could match any team. They developed a winning habit during that period. They also worked out that as long as they stayed in games they could change the flow. They have become very good at games like this weekend's game against the Hawks. When it is tight, they will win most.

The final stage in their progression to being a good side is to learn how to come out all guns blazing, open up a commanding lead in the first half and shut the other team out. They need to score more for that to happen.
Good post - agree, but did 'guns blazing' to Freo in 1st Q, remember; also blew Pies away prior in 2ndQ. So can do it. Still frustrating that our offense is too inefficient usually. Now really need to rectify this weakness as need percentage to claim 4th spot. Goal-kicking accuracy needs to lift too - was better in 2014 I think.

TOT70 said:

Agree Tottie.
The back six is awesome. Who'd a thunk we could hold the vaunted Hawks attack to 53 points? 53!?
More firepower is required up forward though that's obvious. When we find it lookout..

We play a back 7ToO that's why we are struggling to score .
If Dimma looks around the meeting room he might just find a 203 cm answer to his problem of scoring or maybe he doesn't think he's got a problem .

Next step is bullying the weak. Something we are yet to master. % counts.

Yep bullying the week will be important in our development.
However foicussing on this week and getting it done against the Crows will also be a sign of our maturity.
Would be easy to have a letdown after such a big win. Hopefully we reload and get it done in Adelaide.
Good sides come to play when the expectation to win is there, not just when it's not.
To date we have not yet shown that but on the back of beating the Hawks everyone will be tipping us.
Can we do it?

I wonder if everyone has put their hand up and tried to replace the energy that Kingy brought. Would the new push up be Snipper?

You'd think Adelaide fans would be quietly nervous about this weeks game wouldn't you?

PJ in Osaka said:
I wonder if everyone has put their hand up and tried to replace the energy that Kingy brought. Would the new push up be Snipper?

Good points, PJ.

I'd suggest we're a better side without Kingy, and Morris. Battlers doing their best but been covered reasonably easily, without having to replace them as such.

toby64 said:
Next step is bullying the weak. Something we are yet to master. % counts.

Agree.
But I still wonder if the Hawks pushing to beat the Blues by nearly 30 goals the week before contributed to their loss against the Tiggers?
The Hawks were not ready for the hard contest sure, but were they actually leg sore as well?
(even running around cardboard cut out bluebaggers saps energy after a while !!)

TigerMad said:
Agree.
But I still wonder if the Hawks pushing to beat the Blues by nearly 30 goals the week before contributed to their loss against the Tiggers?
The Hawks were not ready for the hard contest sure, but were they actually leg sore as well?
(even running around cardboard cut out bluebaggers saps energy after a while !!)
The big win didn't help them really. They got used to playing like it was a training drill and then when the Tigers put some serious heat on them they had trouble readjusting. However they're the reigning Premiers and they're shooting for the 'threepeat' so they're expected to be able to readjust depending on their opponent and we didn't give them that luxury.