Growing Up | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Growing Up

Tigers of Old

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
There's something different following this fantastic win.
There's little excitement from the Coach or the Senior leaders or at least it's been well harnessed publicly.
After previous finals disappointments and having beaten Grand finalists in previous seasons, the clear message is that the 'lid' is still firmly on.
This is an important development in becoming a really good team.
Whilst sure it was awesome to beat Hawthorn, ultimately they are just a side on the ladder ahead of us and we gain 4 points.
Lots left to do if we want to raise the Cup and pleasingly it seems internally the club realise that. Reality is we've achieved absolutely nothing yet.
Whilst we're all busy partying, it's still business time at Punt Road and THAT is a very good thing...

yeah, we're determined. It was obvious yesterday when Dimma came out onto the ground. Against the Swans he was beaming, smiles, celebrating.

Yesterday he came out with a steel about that said "We did what we came to do". Obviously happy but there wasn't that celebration.

This team believe they can go all the way. I reckon last weeks loss may have just been the slap in the face they needed to get them to really believe they belong at the big boy end of the season.

We wont know till the end of the finals.

But last weeks loss could have been this sides defining moment.

Exciting times infront of us!

Tigers of Old said:
There's something different following this fantastic win.
There's little excitement from the Coach or the Senior leaders or at least it's been well harnessed publicly.
After previous finals disappointments and having beaten Grand finalists in previous seasons, the clear message is that the 'lid' is still firmly on.
This is an important development in becoming a really good team.
Whilst sure it was awesome to beat Hawthorn, ultimately they are just a side on the ladder ahead of us and we gain 4 points.
Lots left to do if we want to raise the Cup and pleasingly it seems internally the club realise that. Reality is we've achieved absolutely nothing yet.
Whilst we're all busy partying, it's still business time at Punt Road and THAT is a very good thing...

We are toughening up too, it was great to see players confront the Hawks senior players before the start of play. It's shows that the players have belief in themselves.
The Hawks will be smarting by that loss and it will be a physical game when we next meet.

tigerman said:
We are toughening up too, it was great to see players confront the Hawks senior players before the start of play. It's shows that the players have belief in themselves.

Well said tigerman.
We played a bit of our own 'unsociable' football last night and gave the Hawks some of their own medicine.
This is a marked difference from Tiger teams of the past.
Cotchin's aggressive approach is a noticeably different attitude to the Captain Perfect who you'd take home to your daughter.
2 incidents, gang tackling of Rioli & Mitchell both spring to mind but we took that intimidatory approach to every contest.
Liking these angry pills that have been given to the whole team. We're no longer being bullied.

Tigers of Old said:
Well said tigerman.
We played a bit of our own 'unsociable' football last night and gave the Hawks some of their own medicine.
Cotchin's aggressive approach is a noticeably different attitude to the Captain Perfect who you'd take home to your daughter of the past.
2 incidents, gang tackling of Rioli & Mitchell both spring to mind but we too that intimidatory approach to every contest.
Liking these angry pills that have been given to the whole team. We're no longer being bullied.

Agree Oldie. Cotch has been leading from the front these past few weeks and it was good to see him Lids and some of the others stick it right up Hawthorn. They didnt like it!!

Good to see some of the arrogant smirks from Hodge and Mitchell get wiped off their faces.

Long may it continue.

Tigers of Old said:
Well said tigerman.
Cotchin's aggressive approach is a noticeably different attitude to the Captain Perfect who you'd take home to your daughter.
2 incidents, gang tackling of Rioli & Mitchell both spring to mind but we took that intimidatory approach to every contest.
Also protecting each other a bit more. I can't remember who it was, but one of the Hawks tried to get into one of our blokes faces and right away Hunt was there, shouting at him and pushing him away.

CarnTheTiges said:
Also protecting each other a bit more. I can't remember who it was, but one of the Hawks tried to get into one of our blokes faces and right away Hunt was there, shouting at him and pushing him away.

Miles is another who's noticeably not afraid to get into the oppositions face no matter who they are.

It seems a deliberate approach to be more aggressive but unlike some of the more fabricated attempts of last year, it seems more natural.
I'm wondering where this has come from but I like it.

Tigers of Old said:
Miles is another who's noticeably not afraid to get into the oppositions face no matter who they are.

It seems a deliberate approach to be more aggressive but unlike some of the more fabricated attempts of last year, it seems more natural.
One of my highlights of Friday night was when Miles was havin the usual light hearted push an shove , then Mitchell came in an his eyes just lit up an got serious and showed a real dislike for the opposition Guernsey then.

Havin guys like Vlaustin in the team make a big difference to the respect other clubs show to us

Tigers of Old said:

I reckon because we are now backing up the push and shove with real hardness when the ball is in play. These boys ain't afraid of anyone anymore.

antman said:
I reckon because we are now backing up the push and shove with real hardness when the ball is in play. These boys ain't afraid of anyone anymore.

Been the missing link in Richmond teams since forever. Top teams must have it and I love the way it's being added to our game. Soon we'll have the maturity that will give us a physical and mental (i.e. confidence) advantage over most opponents.

Backing up that toughness around the ball is what all the great Tiger sides possessed. Bravo, Encore!
The only way to treat a bully is to give them their own back, Hawks didn't like it and missed targets and fumbled.
It's the third time we have delivered the blueprint to beat a top 4 side.
Just like in 1969 when we won from 4th, we might be the first side to win the flag from outside the top 4.

Adelaide did that in 1998, although it was a different system that arguably made it easier to do so.
It was possible to finish 5th or 6th, lose your first game, and still be in it.
And Adelaide did that.

That maturity is best demonstrated when teams come back at us on the scoreboard. We don't panic. Well - collectively we don't. Houli did last week and I reckon that's not representative of where we are now - more the exception than the rule. Generally I see us being able to take a hit, take a big breath and refocus. It wasn't that long ago that we lost our cool when the opposition made a run at us.

The growing up started during the nine wins last year. You could see the penny dropping each week as more and more players realised that they could match any team. They developed a winning habit during that period. They also worked out that as long as they stayed in games they could change the flow. They have become very good at games like this weekend's game against the Hawks. When it is tight, they will win most.

The final stage in their progression to being a good side is to learn how to come out all guns blazing, open up a commanding lead in the first half and shut the other team out. They need to score more for that to happen.

23.21.159 said:
Adelaide did that in 1998, although it was a different system that arguably made it easier to do so.
It was possible to finish 5th or 6th, lose your first game, and still be in it.
And Adelaide did that.

Yep the McIntyre system. Adelaide finished 5th and got absolutely smashed by Melbourne in the first week but being one of the 2 highest ranked losers got a double chance, regrouped and the rest is history.

No one has ever won a flag from outside top 4 under the current system which was introduced in 2000 or 2001 I think.