Goddard | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goddard

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Sandilands is almost 29, Cox is 30 and both would be expensive. It'd make sense to recruit a Greg Dear/Bob Heard type to tide us over for two years if the price was right, but I don't see any of those around.

Hypothetical example, just making the case for less rigidity with the age criteria.

bullus_hit said:
Hypothetical example, just making the case for less rigidity with the age criteria.

Fair enough. If they were available as free agents, reckon we'd be outbid by the Carltons etc. who are ready to contend and need them more. Faced with paying 24yo promising ruckman X $300K or 27yo star ruckman Y $600K, I'd go with X.

Leysy Days said:
Serious question. Who would you make a priority Tooheys?

It is a good question because there's very little to target from the 2002 & 2003 drafts, the same could be said about 2004 once you take out Griffen, Buddy, Roughead and Lewis.

Juffaricho said:
We need to even out the list first and maximize the depth and then go after the big free agency fish in 2 years time.
That way if you make an error on your FA (or get injury struck) you still have your core group to consistently get you to finals.
If we go to soon, we can blow it all up again.

Yep. Spot on.

12 months ago bj was the best player in the land

he fits the required age and profile for our team. why the hell wouldn't we look at him if he was available even if it meant paying him $600k a year?

tough crowd to please i reckon

Tigers of Old said:
Mitch Clark.

Fair call. At what cost though. You would want him to be going after the No 1 Ruck slot rather than key forward tha he's toted to want to play.

Leysy didnt specify but was more talking about Free Agency where we dont have to give up anything to get a player in.

In that scenario Goddard would seem near the top of the tree ILO.

Leysy Days said:
Fair call. At what cost though. You would want him to be going after the No 1 Ruck slot rather than key forward tha he's toted to want to play.

Leysy didnt specify but was more talking about Free Agency where we dont have to give up anything to get a player in.

In that scenario Goddard would seem near the top of the tree ILO.

Wrong.

Not near the top of the tree. He is top by a fair bit too, in terms of Free Agency. Would be a magnificent player, versatile, leader, winner.

ToO is right in going for a player like Mitch Clark though in trading terms. I would prefer Zac Clarke, but yeah, a dominant ruck is needed.

We have a semblance of a midfield now - we must do whatever is reasonably necessary to give them some real supply.

Have read Mitch Clark is only talking going to WA. So while I agree with Tooheys, I don't see him going to Victoria ATM. As long as we get a guy who seriously competes, it will be better for the next two years.

We are so light on above 25 years of age, if BJ wants to come to RFC you would have to look at it, however, such a move is going to require giving up nearly as much, and that can end up robbing peter to pay paul. Free agency candidate only.

Cannot belive people are just writing off Goddard because of his age (26).

Seriously Free agency means we lose cap space that is it for one of the top 5 players in the comp when in full flight.

If we got Goddard @ 27 we would be pushing top 4 spot in 2013.

With our current crop plus: First rounder 2011 (14), First Rounder 2012 (no hgiher than 10) plus the compo pick we will be pushing hard come 2013.

Goddard will be the icing on the cake in that 3-5 year period where we are having a go. He won't still be a gun player at 30-31 and imo could potentially have a long career into his 30's due to his ability to play forward.

IF WE ARE EVEN A SNIFF OF GETTING HIM AS A FREE AGENT AKA NOT GIVING UP ANYTHING.....THEN WE SHOULD GO.

I wouldn't be sharing the same view if it were a trade scenario, but for free we should get on it or our competitors will.

Goddard is exactly the sort of player who could take our side to the next level when Free Agency comes in next year.

No doubt that we will still have some salary cap room at the end of next season so we will be able to make a substantial offer somewhere and Goddard would look sensational running the ball out of our backline.

The way I see it, the only real threat to us from Free Agency is Deledio. We are unlikely to have any other high value players available to the market at the end of 2012. Newman will be too old to attract interest, Foley might attract some attention, that is about it. Luckily for us, if someone chases Deledio, we can match the offer or at least console ourselves with some nice compensation. Nonetheless, we should be able to lock him up before hand anyway.

St Kilda and Hawthorn are both very vulnerable. A smart club will target one of these two clubs and make big offers to several of their players. Riewoldt, Goddard, Dal Santo, Montagna and Fisher. Make them all an offer and see if the Saints can hold out. Hodge, Franklin, Mitchell, Lewis, Roughead. Do the same thing.

I’ll bet a free agent falls out of each tree.

can this tool serve a purpose for us?
quarter back role? while astbury and grimes guard key talls
put him on a 6 month contract while rance recovers?

TheCan said:
No.

Don’t think we need a finger pointer in the side.
Could you imagine Dusty’s reaction when Goddard smashes the chips on to the floor?

TheCan said:

You're late. April Fools Day was yesterday.