Goddard | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Goddard

bullus_hit said:
It pains me to say it but that's the reality, free agency is just one step closer to an EPL style class system. Just another nail in the coffin for the likes of North and the Dogs.

If we do well we should be one of the top few. We have a lot of supporters and should have a lot of money provided smart decisions keep being made.

With the money we would pay for Goddard we could get 3 solid players. Depth is our issue right now, not lack of stars. We have 5 potential elite young kids. Surround them with solid role players and we'll be fine.

Juffaricho said:
With the money we would pay for Goddard we could get 3 solid players. Depth is our issue right now, not lack of stars. We have 5 potential elite young kids. Surround them with solid role players and we'll be fine.

We could also do with some revenue generation from regular finals appearances.

Juffaricho said:

Yep. I am in this camp. We have to upgrade the middle tier. The top end talent is there.

SCOOP said:
Yep. I am in this camp. We have to upgrade the middle tier. The top end talent is there.

ANother star wouldn't hurt. I have no idea how much salary cap room we have though.

Barnzy said:
Too old to be selling the farm for him. Rather target a superstar in the 24 and under bracket if at all. A Superstar is unlikely.

Not advocating going after Goddard. But to get a star under 24 you will have to trade for them. & Trade a lot for them.

With the older Free Agency players they come "free" trade wise.

Leysy Days said:
Not advocating going after Goddard. But to get a star under 24 you will have to trade for them. & Trade a lot for them.

With the older Free Agency players they come "free" trade wise.

We could easily frontload a contract for a big name, whether that be Goddard or somebody else worth pursuing. Depending the player, you could also expect some stong publicity which would translate to memberships similar to the Cousins scenario. The cost in picks is nil and the monetary cost could be counterbalanced by revenue generation, taking advantage of free agency is a no brainer IMO. Age sensitivities under these circumstances aren't particularly relevant, Goddard will give 4-5 years of solid service with the possibility of more and when he retires he can easily be replaced with another free agent. Gale and co. have got it right with their financial warchest, I expect we'll be in the thick of things in twelve months.

We need to even out the list first and maximize the depth and then go after the big free agency fish in 2 years time.
That way if you make an error on your FA (or get injury struck) you still have your core group to consistently get you to finals.
If we go to soon, we can blow it all up again.

Juffaricho said:
We need to even out the list first and maximize the depth and then go after the big free agency fish in 2 years time.
That way if you make an error on your FA (or get injury struck) you still have your core group to consistently get you to finals.

Agree. teams like the pies, hawks, blues should be chasing him whilst they are Top 4 material. Could be the difference.

Juffaricho said:

Yep build a team and when say a Lids gets to 28 and Cotch, Martin etc are 24-25 is the time to get someone good if available. Looking at the Lids draft someone like a Griffen would be awesome lol.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
We should be looking for players who are about to produce what Goddard has over the past ~4 years, not paying top dollar in the hope that he keeps doing it into his twilight years.

Good point.

I believe we have a few criterias that have to be met when targetting players.
I think Goddard age is outside this.
Slim chane we'll get him

Big Cat Lover said:
Agree. teams like the pies, hawks, blues should be chasing him whilst they are Top 4 material. Could be the difference.

If they can afford him of course.

The whole thing about Free Agency is that we don't have to give up picks/players and get him for free. We have the cap space and we also still have the offield connections to produce some third party deals. If we get him end of next year he will be 27 at the start of the 2013 season and have at least 3 good years left. Goddard isn't the kind of player who will battle at 30. He could go forward and win a Coleman and play until his 33-35 imo.

Imagine having the following midfield rotation: Cotchin, Martin, Deledio, Goddard, Foley, Conca, Greene (pick 14), Top ten pick next year in a super draft.

Deledo/Goddard/Martin all rotating into the forward line and kicking plenty of goals as well as Lids and Goddard having the ability to go back and support Batch/Newman/Houli.

se7en said:
I believe we have a few criterias that have to be met when targetting players.
I think Goddard age is outside this.
Slim chane we'll get him

Slim chance indeed but with regards to the age criteria would people object to a 27 yo Sandilands or Cox? I admit a Goddard type is icing on the cake but surely there will be older players who will address urgent needs.

bullus_hit said:
Slim chance indeed but with regards to the age criteria would people object to a 27 yo Sandilands or Cox? I admit a Goddard type is icing on the cake but surely there will be older players who will address urgent needs.

Sandilands is almost 29, Cox is 30 and both would be expensive. It'd make sense to recruit a Greg Dear/Bob Heard type to tide us over for two years if the price was right, but I don't see any of those around.