Global Warming | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Global Warming

Well, the companies that own coal fired power stations are looking at putting pumped hydro on the sites (Liddell and Mt Piper, won't be room for nukes then), no lithium required for pumped hydro.

DS

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Well, the companies that own coal fired power stations are looking at putting pumped hydro on the sites (Liddell and Mt Piper, won't be room for nukes then), no lithium required for pumped hydro.

DS
What’s the timeline for these to be built?
I’m not sure if you’ve ever seen a topographical map of the Liddell or Bayswater power stations near Lake Liddell.

But perhaps more disappointing is the unchanged closure date for Mt Piper, which EnergyAustralia in its 2021 climate plan brought forward by three years, from 2043 to 2040.

I wonder where the water for Mt Piper pumped hydro is coming from? Especially since it’s still supposed to be working for another nearly 20 years.

Ahh not actually being built on Mt Piper site at all. But near it at Lake Lyell.

Liddell has been talked about for over 3 years now. Plenty of land there all around the Lake. The proposed pumped hydro will be 11 klms from the old power plant.

Should just change them over to gas fired generators. Ohh wait. Net zero.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Timeline is closer than nukes which is never ever.

DS
So I take it there is none.
Yeah nukes are Duttons smokescreen so his mates in the fossil fuel industry make a profit. Like Alby’s nuclear subs. It will be fifty years until they’re built. We’ll have solar powered subs with wind turbines as well

So I take it there is none.
Yeah nukes are Duttons smokescreen so his mates in the fossil fuel industry make a profit. Like Alby’s nuclear subs. It will be fifty years until they’re built. We’ll have solar powered subs with wind turbines as well
I seriously don't understand how you think nuclear subs have anything to do with how we power homes and businesses in this country.
Would you be saying we should use diesel Australia-wide if we continue with diesel powered subs?

Reactions: 1 users
I seriously don't understand how you think nuclear subs have anything to do with how we power homes and businesses in this country.
Would you be saying we should use diesel Australia-wide if we continue with diesel powered subs?

Usual deflection from the nuke spruikers.

The Nuke subs are a silly expensive idea too. Have a lot more to do with US projection into the Pacific than defence of Australia, plus they produce toxic radioactive waste too. Just as an aside, they're Scomo's subs, the ALP just didn't want to get wedged on the issue, we'll see if they ever happen and we'll see if they make any difference anyway. The US is looking a lot like a declining empire at the moment, not a good idea to be tied t a declining empire.

Meanwhile, renewables keep on expanding at a great rate.

DS

Usual deflection from the nuke spruikers.
Hahhahahahahahahahah
The Nuke subs are a silly expensive idea too. Have a lot more to do with US projection into the Pacific than defence of Australia, plus they produce toxic radioactive waste too. Just as an aside, they're Scomo's subs
Hahahahahahahah see below.
the ALP just didn't want to get wedged on the issue,
check the date. Scomo wasn’t the PM then
we'll see if they ever happen and we'll see if they make any difference anyway. The US is looking a lot like a declining empire at the moment, not a good idea to be tied t a declining empire.
That’s why I mentioned them
Meanwhile, renewables keep on expanding at a great rate.

DS
They still haven’t built too many grid sized batteries or implemented, designed or built too many pumped hydro plants yet.
Time is running out with all those coal powered power stations getting ready to shutdown.
What’s the bet, they still haven’t built anything more and will need to extend the life of Chol and gas power stations. At phenomenal costs of $hundreds of millions. Just wait and see.

When I mentioned the amount of lithium that would be needed for grid sized batteries for 24/7 energy, and then the ongoing replacement, then the shortage of sourcing that material and/or lithium batteries from China. it was mentioned pumped hydro is the way to go.
Here’s some information how pumped hydro is costed. It is fairly in-depth and dated from 2018 so costs would need to be adjusted.
But it’s interesting when it states “Are bespoke by nature, no 2 sites are the same. “Off the shelf” equipment is not widely used.

This gives an indepth look at different pumped hydro plants, costings and other facts etc.
It is about 6 years old but still has some good detail of what is taken into comsideration.

You’d have to hope they never experience a drought in those areas. That evaporation is low and there are no leaks in those systems.. That pumping equipment has duplicate redundancies built in and a ring main pipe system is installed as well.

Hey Willo, if you reckon that it was Albo and not Scomo who initiated AUKUS then I'll just leave you in your own reality distortion field, you'll find nukes there as well.

DS

Here are some figures on the costs of Pumped Hydro.
Borumba Pumped Hydro in Queensland : The cost $14.2 billion

Pioneer-Burdekin Pumped Hydro in Queensland: The cost $12 billion , other sources suggest it could cost $18 billion. to be completed in 2035. This will be the largest in the world apparently.

———————————————————————————————————————-
Ahhh “Renewables” to save the planet. Tell that to these people. Tell them it’s better than using lithium batteries.Or a gas powered power station, or even a nuclear power station.

I’ll look to find some costings on other pumped hydro plants. Certainly an eye opener as to the build costs. For these two at least.

So the energy used to supply these plants will be from renewables.
What happens during the wet season? I’ve been to Mackay and Eungella (pronounced young gell la ) during the wet season.
Umm solar won’t be working at all. Will there be wind turbines there? Good luck with that as well. How then will they power the massive pumps to pump the water uphill?
Maybe they have some large mice from the sugar cane farms. They can put them in a wheel and get them a pumping.

Gee Borumba $AU14 billion, bargain next to a nuke like Hinkley at ₤46 billion or Vogtle at $US34 billion.

The reality distortion field must be a nice place to reside for the delusional, I'll stay in the real world.

Interesting too how these pumped hydro schemes have an estimated cost, have plans and are being started - stark contrast to nukes in Aus - no costings, speculative locations, no-one wanting to build them so the government has to do it etc.

DS

Gee Borumba $AU14 billion, bargain next to a nuke like Hinkley at ₤46 billion or Vogtle at $US34 billion.
Better compare the runtime and output before you get too excited
The reality distortion field must be a nice place to reside for the delusional, I'll stay in the real world.
How would you know it must a nice place to reside? Personal experience?
Interesting too how these pumped hydro schemes have an estimated cost, have plans and are being started
Well seeing they have a few years head start it’s no wonder.
And funnily enough Borumba costs are expected to double from the initial build costs.
And the new ones have only “desktop exercises with very little site visits” hahaha.

stark contrast to nukes in Aus - no costings, speculative locations, no-one wanting to build them so the government has to do it etc.
As I said, they’ve had a few years head start and only costed it at half the actual build cost.
Hmmm, Queensland government pushing to have these built. Throwing people of their land. Flooding massive areas of land.

What are the main works of the Borumba project?

Main works for the project will include construction of a new lower Borumba dam, the upper reservoir dams, tunnels and underground powerhouse, and associated construction facilities such as access roads and surface works including switch yard, quarries, and construction camps.

There goes people’s livelihoods, their homes, their businesses.

What happens during the wet season? I’ve been to Mackay and Eungella (pronounced young gell la ) during the wet season.
Umm solar won’t be working at all. Will there be wind turbines there? Good luck with that as well. How then will they power the massive pumps to pump the water uphill?
Maybe they have some large mice from the sugar cane farms. They can put them in a wheel and get them a pumping.