Game day Tiges v GWS | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game day Tiges v GWS

How bad is Tim Greene gws 37 touches only 40% efficiency

Needs to be at punt road we need a new butcher

Reactions: 1 user
You forgot handball it to a team mate under the pump.
That was the obvious part of his play today. He is very quick to give the ball off by hand in a tight ( for him ) situation. His kicking wasn't too bad today. He is rarely in a contest though so we are always one man down in the backline.

Where was sonsie.
Tired Alarm Clock GIF by Boomerang Official

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
We get cameos from Hugo or Steely, but the player that can spark them isn’t on the team. Maybe we haven’t drafted him yet.
It's what we should be getting from Bolton or Baker, but they're just not invested right now. Nank trying his guts out but nobody seems to want to follow him

Clearly we need to focus preseason on fitness (speed an endurance) and skills (foot and hand). We can worry about a game plan when we get to AFL standard

Reactions: 2 users
Not as bad as some performances this year, but lots of problems.

A few big problems we have to address.

Every time you looked GWS had more players around the ball and more outlets. They were running to position and were better at the contest, their ability to get the ball out from congestion, hell, to get the ball in congestion, was so much better than ours. We can get our hands on the ball in congestion but lack the ability to get it out to one of our players. The better teams get their hands on the ball in congestion and can get it out to advantage.

There is such a lack of connection. Players not positioning well, players running to receive the ball in worse positions than where they started - and they could have found space in better positions. We were moving a bit more today but still too static. Plus, you could see our players with the ball trying to find an options and not being able to, I recall one incident where the ball was passed and the receiving player was unaware the ball was about to be passed to him, no connection. Occasionally players would find space in good positions but not often enough. GWS were able to make the MCG look big with their ability to find space, we tend to make the ground look crowded. That pass from Nank to Short was a classic - Nank should never have kicked across goal to a stationary player, Short should never have been calling for the ball while stationary, he should have been moving.

The skills are well below par - too many kicks to opposition, too many handballs which fall short or go long, same for kicks.

Too many handpasses to players under the pump.

So much of this is repeated week after week. They would be working on all these things but we need to see improvement.

A few players who are showing they are not up to it: Sonsie was such a passenger today. Miller has been good this year but he needs to learn how to deal with big forwards shoving him out of the way, I have some faith he can learn this but I saw him manoeuvred out of the contest too often. Ryan needs to learn to deal with being held without the ball and obstructed - yes, it is against the rules, but all forwards have to put up with it these days because the umps refuse to pay frees and stamp this blight out of the game - Ryan needs to learn to deal with this.

Oh well, we are bottom of the ladder for the reason, need to recruit replacements for fading premiership players and get some good youth. Steely Green showed signs as did a few others. But our list is not in good shape.

The umpiring was all over the place, not surprising. They would let go incredibly obvious holding infringements and then pay a free when it was borderline. The 50m penalty they got was ridiculous given far worse infringements were let go. I'm not surprised the frees were close to even, they don't like GWS much either.

Not a great day at the footy, but someone had to be there to support the team. How long since we have had a crowd of 19K at the MCG? Would be a long time and that was woeful. Getting the graveyard Sunday slot against a team with no supporters doesn't help, but that is still a very bad attendance.

DS

Reactions: 5 users
How did Tarranto not get a free? What the *smile* was that umpire? Do your job ffs.
What pissed me off most about that incident was that the umpire wanted to continue the play with a clearly dazed player wandering around the contest. You could hear our players on tv trying to get the game stopped, and the umpires response was "well he's not being attended to by trainers". He finally stopped play when one of our players said "He can't even see".
Disgusting by the umpire. They've stopped play when someone wemt down holding their leg 50m away just a week or so ago.

• Angry
Reactions: 10 users
What pissed me off most about that incident was that the umpire wanted to continue the play with a clearly dazed player wandering around the contest. You could hear our players on tv trying to get the game stopped, and the umpires response was "well he's not being attended to by trainers". He finally stopped play when one of our players said "He can't even see".
Disgusting by the umpire. They've stopped play when someone wemt down holding their leg 50m away just a week or so ago.
They do this a lot, the umpires. None of them have any feel for the game. They’re a bunch of scared idiots.

Reactions: 3 users
They do this a lot, the umpires. None of them have any feel for the game. They’re a bunch of scared idiots.
they do. they don't. and they are.

an overhaul is necessary, and it's obvious to everybody apart from the AFL 'bosses'.

not admitting there's a problem shows a lack of humility and little understanding of the game they are meant to be running.

Reactions: 3 users
Even some of those dinky 15m kicks he turned over too.

His stats look ok (74% DE%) but I wished the AFL gave the more important retained ball %. Those long hack kicks that he does to a contest go down as effective disposals if they travel over 30m (I think 30m is right), but we don't retain possession from many of them.
Stats don't always tell the full story. You watch a number of well known top players in most teams and their game stats belie their actual game performance

I know many folk don't care but we actually won the expected score battle for this game by a goal. The one game we've had a fit tarranto, hopper and prestia (and still no lynch).

Good kicking is good football but says we did a lot of things right - esp. given some of the easy ones we gave up.

GWS scored 107 from expected 89
Rich scored 82 from expected 96

they do. they don't. and they are.

an overhaul is necessary, and it's obvious to everybody apart from the AFL 'bosses'.

not admitting there's a problem shows a lack of humility and little understanding of the game they are meant to be running.

Wow, I have to say, big call there - the AFL lack humility . . . no, can't be right.

DS

GWS scored 107 from expected 89
Rich scored 82 from expected 96
Oooh so in a perfect world the stats would say that we've won the game by 7 points. Bugger it, let's play stats footy every week. We'll b back winning flags in no time at all.

Oooh so in a perfect world the stats would say that we've won the game by 7 points. Bugger it, let's play stats footy every week. We'll b back winning flags in no time at all.

It usually tells you what your eyes see. We outplayed / matched GWS in general but they kicked straight and we didn’t. I like ‘em as stats but obviously they don’t change results.

Some games we’ve turned 15 goal losses into 10 this year. So not sure your logic would hold. And we lost the swans game on expected stats.

It also tells you Collingwood last year and Essendon this year kissed on the *smile* regularly.