Game Day - Richmond Tigers vs Hawks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Richmond Tigers vs Hawks

antman said:

Loved that play. The look on Hodges' face as he watched the ball sail over his head was priceless.
Contrast that with his nasty little smile and mocking Cotchin for bumping him just before the first bounce, too. Great stuff to see.

CarnTheTiges said:
And not just him, Lids didn't exactly give him an easy ride. Set the tone for the game when he kicked into Lids on the mark to give him his second goal of the night.

I watched that play a couple of times on replay. It gives an interesting little insight into the modern game. It also highlights what Hawthorn’s advantage over other teams is and why they were all at sea once this advantage was denied them.

At the start of the game, they quickly settled into having Hodge, Burgoyne, Mitchell, Birchill and Gibson all looking to zone off across half-back. Frawley, Lake, Stratton and Duryea were playing man-on-man on the forwards, the others were waiting for the long bomb into the forward line. Richmond denied that and eventually, most of the extra defenders were dragged out into the midfield. Remember that period where Richmond short-passed it around for what seemed like ages?

So Hawthorn eventually turned the ball over across half-back but there was no run from behind. All the usual runners were ahead of the ball, stagnant in the midfield. They then executed three or four uncomfortable short passes trying to create some run but they ended up going nowhere. When Hodge took that mark he was more or less the last defender and he was around the 50m line. He didn’t realise that he had been isolated. Normally, he has several team-mates coming from behind to receive, this time there was no-one. He was lost as to what to do, looking for options but there weren’t any. His kick was careless because, in his mind, he was trying to manufacture something as their normal patterns were not unfolding.

When Deledio smothered the kick, Hodge actually ran away from him and headed back into defence. Defenders playing for nearly any other team would have gone straight to the tackle and tried to take Deledio down. In Hawthorn’s game, someone else was supposed to come out and handle Deledio. Where were Mitchell, Gibson and Burgoyne? Hawthorn’s stars work together to contain ball movement and zone back deeper into defence to cut off the next kick but suddenly, Hodge was alone and had no support.

Then he realised that not only was no-one coming to help but Deledio is way too good a kick and he shouldn’t have zoned off him in the first place.

That was why we won. Our tactics were designed to separate Hodge, Burgoyne, Mitchell, Gibson and Birchill by forcing them to be more accountable in the middle of the ground. Once separated, they were weakened dramatically. This was seriously good coaching from Hardwick and his assistants. They actually took away Hawthorn’s ability to control the game across half-back where all their stars normally reside.

Tot70 noticed the zone off - as you point out its their game plan. Good analysis I never though anymore about it.

When we play the Hawks next, Mitchell and Hodge won't mock Cotchen if and when he instigates a bit of push and shove, of that I'm certain.
I love how he wiped the smirk off their faces :hihi

Really good work by Tottie to pick that up. Richmond had a game plan, which they executed perfectly and this forced Hawthorn to move away from their own game.

TOT70 said:
I watched that play a couple of times on replay. It gives an interesting little insight into the modern game. It also highlights what Hawthorn’s advantage over other teams is and why they were all at sea once this advantage was denied them.

At the start of the game, they quickly settled into having Hodge, Burgoyne, Mitchell, Birchill and Gibson all looking to zone off across half-back. Frawley, Lake, Stratton and Duryea were playing man-on-man on the forwards, the others were waiting for the long bomb into the forward line. Richmond denied that and eventually, most of the extra defenders were dragged out into the midfield. Remember that period where Richmond short-passed it around for what seemed like ages?

So Hawthorn eventually turned the ball over across half-back but there was no run from behind. All the usual runners were ahead of the ball, stagnant in the midfield. They then executed three or four uncomfortable short passes trying to create some run but they ended up going nowhere. When Hodge took that mark he was more or less the last defender and he was around the 50m line. He didn’t realise that he had been isolated. Normally, he has several team-mates coming from behind to receive, this time there was no-one. He was lost as to what to do, looking for options but there weren’t any. His kick was careless because, in his mind, he was trying to manufacture something as their normal patterns were not unfolding.

When Deledio smothered the kick, Hodge actually ran away from him and headed back into defence. Defenders playing for nearly any other team would have gone straight to the tackle and tried to take Deledio down. In Hawthorn’s game, someone else was supposed to come out and handle Deledio. Where were Mitchell, Gibson and Burgoyne? Hawthorn’s stars work together to contain ball movement and zone back deeper into defence to cut off the next kick but suddenly, Hodge was alone and had no support.

Then he realised that not only was no-one coming to help but Deledio is way too good a kick and he shouldn’t have zoned off him in the first place.

That was why we won. Our tactics were designed to separate Hodge, Burgoyne, Mitchell, Gibson and Birchill by forcing them to be more accountable in the middle of the ground. Once separated, they were weakened dramatically. This was seriously good coaching from Hardwick and his assistants. They actually took away Hawthorn’s ability to control the game across half-back where all their stars normally reside.

This is seriously good posting.

Fantastic work TOT70. The thing about our gameplay is that it doesn't rely on exceptional skills like the Hawks. Much more grunt in ours, and dare I say will hold up well in finals pressure.
On another point I have also been watching the replay again and have just replayed the Newman falling over Rioli free kick and the subsequent gang tackle on Rioli. Now that I have watched it several times I am absolutely convinced Cyril deliberately went to ground to have Newman fall on him. Play it again and watch Cyril's eyes. And the reason he was gang tackled was that he bounced up and took a large step forward to run away from the prone Newman but then saw three Tigers coming in at speed an stopped. Should have almost been called play on.

Absolutely deliberate fall . Should've been play on no doubt.

Roili engineered that, at it worked. You just can't underestimate umpires. :)

The Mole said:
Fantastic work TOT70. The thing about our gameplay is that it doesn't rely on exceptional skills like the Hawks. Much more grunt in ours, and dare I say will hold up well in finals pressure.
On another point I have also been watching the replay again and have just replayed the Newman falling over Rioli free kick and the subsequent gang tackle on Rioli. Now that I have watched it several times I am absolutely convinced Cyril deliberately went to ground to have Newman fall on him. Play it again and watch Cyril's eyes. And the reason he was gang tackled was that he bounced up and took a large step forward to run away from the prone Newman but then saw three Tigers coming in at speed an stopped. Should have almost been called play on.
That incident with Rioli should have been either play on or a free to Chris for holding the ball on Rioli. I also think our skills have improved markedly this season. I doubt many recent Richmond sides would have been able to chip it around the way we do now without it breaking down and losing possession. Now we're doing that to other sides. The Hawks were pressured into making more turnovers than they ordinarily do.

TOT70 said:

Good work Tottie. Doubt we can pull it off again, Hawks will switch up in some fashion next time we meet.

Beautifully posted, TOT.

And yep. We were disciplined and ferocious.

This is the side we put on the park when Hawthorn flogged us early last year.

B Chris Newman, David Astbury, Dylan Grimes
HB Nathan Gordon, Troy Chaplin, Steven Morris
C Shaun Grigg, Daniel Jackson, Reece Conca
HF Dustin Martin, Ricky Petterd, Matthew Arnot
F Nick Vlastuin, Jack Riewoldt, Ben Griffiths
FOL Shaun Hampson, Brandon Ellis, Trent Cotchin
I/C Shane Edwards, Bachar Houli, Sam Lloyd
SUB Matt McDonough

Of that lot a few were crippled. Jackson, for one. Others were underdone. More were in need of experience and there are a few names missing. Could ShEd even? Back then? We were hopeless.

When we beat Hawthorn we do em for BWA. Ball. Winning Ability.

The reason of that is that Hawthorn is very strong across the ground. The 22 is full of top dozen players. Their bottom six is a bottom two.

Their rucks are average a bit better when right or young. But they have three KPPs if you count Roughead who seems to play on a wing for long spells. But for him they have zero tall forwards. It's a proven structure. Unless you can heat the mass of their I50 ball.

But they are not strong in the midfield. (They missed Langford last week.) Sam Mitchell has been a champion midfielder. And still can be on his day. But the rest of em are flankers. The side is chockers with elite flankers and excellent forwards, still of the flanker persuasion. Bourgoyne is probably a mid. At a pinch. But no champion.

Our midfield is full of ball winners. We're very strong here.

If we could have swapped three of our players for three of theirs on Friday they'd have all been forwards and we'd have won by ten goals.

Yes, we were breathing fire and they were predictably deluded about the previous week's out-the-back slaughter of a spooner. But we were too good. That's just not controversial.

Here's the problem. We flogged them for the ball and yet again didn't get a return on the scoreboard. That's why people think the result is reversible. 'Surely Hawthorn will be able to get a kick next time.' Maybe they will.

But I think if we restructure our forward line the margin is extendable. Yet again we saw that neither Jack nor Vickery can play #1 forward. When Ivan structures us up (how desperate is that?) he actually hits up nearer CHF.

Does anybody really wonder why the magoos coach shitcans McJeebus for playing small? We've already got a Vickery. If McJeebus can hit that hotspot for us, so we're not forced to kick to the pockets, that's structure. Everything around opens up. If he can draw the double team, even sometimes, that leaves Tyrone to pick holes near the pockets and Jack to sneak in the side door. Ivan to work higher. That would be a dream.

Hey, maybe we can play that first-to-the-ball/freeze style all the way through September. Holding it up before sending it in. Without a bloke to hit the air in the hotspot. That's what we're doing so well ATM. But we do look vulnerable. Even when we outclass a side.

Alistair Clarkson was direct after the game. He was bleeding and a little stunned. Sometimes exasperated.

'The whole footy world perhaps gets a bit of a wake-up call tonight,' Clarkson said.

TOT70 said:

great observations. :clap

Dyer'ere said:
Does anybody really wonder why the magoos coach sh!tcans McJeebus for playing small? We've already got a Vickery. If McJeebus can hit that hotspot for us, so we're not forced to kick to the pockets, that's structure. Everything around opens up. If he can draw the double team, even sometimes, that leaves Tyrone to pick holes near the pockets and Jack to sneak in the side door. Ivan to work higher. That would be a dream.

It should be the other way around, with the mature player – TV – getting shitcanned for not hitting the hotspot while the apprentice picks the pockets.

Clark is saying that McJeebus is doing it, TBH. That's what I'm going on. I think he'll get a gig if Hamster doesn't come up. I dunno if he can do it but I think we might test him.

I've never disagreed with you about what we'd like Vickery to do. But it's never happened. It took us seven years to get him to play in front.