Formula One | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Formula One

That first lap move on Lando to take the lead. Man. Oscar must have testices the size of coconuts.

I wonder what the team orders were. Everyone was expecting Oscar to help defend Landos lead.

Unlucky. Easily the fastest driver out there but for whatever reason, the McLarens' tyres just didn't stand up for him.
His crew asked him before he pitted for the 2nd time if he thought they could do a 1 pit strategy. He said no, he'll be rueing that decision.

His crew asked him before he pitted for the 2nd time if he thought they could do a 1 pit strategy. He said no, he'll be rueing that decision.

Yep. Oscar took a fair bit of blame for that. Decision should have been made before the first pit stop really. Sweat out the first set of tyres longer.

Watching the McLarens it's becoming evident that Norris is a very fast driver, one of the fastest. But Oscar is a better racer.

Yeah but like everyone else, the front left was graining badly. Then, when he went to the next set, he said for whatever reason they stood up a lot better, even when he was pushing harder. Unlike Ferrari, he wouldn't have made it on those first set of hards that he had.

Yeah but like everyone else, the front left was graining badly. Then, when he went to the next set, he said for whatever reason they stood up a lot better, even when he was pushing harder. Unlike Ferrari, he wouldn't have made it on those first set of hards that he had.
Yes, but he did say that in hindsight they should have gone with a 1 pit strategy.

Yep. Oscar took a fair bit of blame for that. Decision should have been made before the first pit stop really. Sweat out the first set of tyres longer.

Watching the McLarens it's becoming evident that Norris is a very fast driver, one of the fastest. But Oscar is a better racer.
Osca has certainly been quicker at the get go of late which is a good advantage.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, but he did say that in hindsight they should have gone with a 1 pit strategy.
He said that straight after the race.

When he stops to think that Sainz in his Ferrari also did a 1 stopper - but finished a massive 16 seconds behind - he'll recognise that it wasn't an all together bad strategy, just that for whatever reason, Leclerc's tyres stood up (just) whereas nobody else's in the field did. Norris I think said that there was no way he could have gone 1 stop either due to the high level of graining. If he couldn't, and Sainz didnt, hard to see how Piastri could have either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
He said that straight after the race.

When he stops to think that Sainz in his Ferrari also did a 1 stopper - but finished a massive 16 seconds behind - he'll recognise that it wasn't an all together bad strategy, just that for whatever reason, Leclerc's tyres stood up (just) whereas nobody else's in the field did. Norris I think said that there was no way he could have gone 1 stop either due to the high level of graining. If he couldn't, and Sainz didnt, hard to see how Piastri could have either.
No doubt at the time pitting for the second time was the right call.

“In hindsight, yes,” Piastri admitted when asked if a one-stop was the right option.

“Everyone's a legend on Monday after the race, or after the chequered flag.

“Today, unfortunately, we go it a bit wrong and myself being a big part of that.

“We had everything to lose from being in the lead of the race; Charles could try something a bit different – he was going to finish third either way.

“The mediums were getting destroyed and even the hards on the Red Bull at the start looked pretty dead,” he added.

“My front-left was pretty heavily grained.

We didn't expect it to clear back up again, which it did.