Fitness | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Fitness

Scores were level with 15 minutes to go. Astounding we lost by 50pts by the final siren.
I thought the intensity for 3/4s was as good as I have seen from the team for a long time.
Was it just as simple as the players ran out of legs?
Everything fell away in that final 15 minutes. My feeling is that they were spent.

Tigers of Old said:
Scores were level with 15 minutes to go. Astounding we lost by 50pts by the final siren.
I thought the intensity for 3/4s was as good as I have seen from the team for a long time.
Everything fell away in that final 15 minutes. My feeling is that they were spent.

Mentally and physically we just couldn't maintain the intensity we showed for 2 and a half quarters. Whilst the commentators were banging on about younger legs of ours outlasting the older legs of the Crows, we just are not in that level of conditioning. Lets not forget the core of the Adelaide team has spent 8 plus pre seasons together and the vast majority of our team maybe 2 or 3.

Then again, a lot comes back to attitude. Dimma mentioned that too many left it for someone else to do in the last, I think there was an element of that. Attitude of some players was terrible in the last.

A combination of both showed why the result blew out. I must say, that hurt most of all. Painful to watch.

Tigers of Old said:

Yep, have said it all year that fitness is the biggest issue why we are failing.

It wasnt just the last 15 minutes either ToO. We were gone 15 mins into the 3rd.

31 inside 50's for the game of which how many would have been in the 2nd half tells a tale.
We were lucky to be in it for as long as we were.

Leysy can excuse the club for not having the 1st & 2nd year players not having the tank.
But also believe the senior players that have had full pre-seasons arent fit enough.
Read: Nahas, Riewoldt, Deledio, Polo etc.
Leysy doesnt blame the players for that as they only do the work that is tailored to them.

The number one task for Cameron is to overhaul our sports science, fitness & conditioning area by replacing Hornsby with a leader in that field.

Richmond lost that game for exactly the same reason that they have lost closed games like this one for decades.

They didn’t lose because of turnovers, lack of fitness, playing kids, young legs, too many kids, too many ordinary footballers or whatever.

They lost because when the game was there to be won, Andrew MacLeod, Scott Thompson and TIppett up forward stood up and imposed their presence on the game. Who stood up and imposed themselves on the contest for Richmond?

How many games of footy have we watched where the game was in the balance until MacLeod/Voss/Hird/Buckley/JBrown/Ablett( both father and son)/Judd/insert name of champion here have stood up and won the game for their team? I can think of three occasions where Macleod alone has done this in games against Richmond.

What we need is the leadership that is provided by mature, skilful footballers. Hardwick’s assessment that the reason for the fade out was mental is exactly right. He has taken one important step along the road to recovery by identifying this, now he has to find the next one. HE needs to go to the draft to look for LEADERS.

And then a couple of powerful forwards to finish off everyone else’s work would be a very nice cherry on top.

Leysy Days said:
Yep, have said it all year that fitness is the biggest issue why we are failing.

It wasnt just the last 15 minutes either ToO. We were gone 15 mins into the 3rd.

31 inside 50's for the game of which how many would have been in the 2nd half tells a tale.
We were lucky to be in it for as long as we were.

Leysy can excuse the club for not having the 1st & 2nd year players not having the tank.
But also believe the senior players that have had full pre-seasons arent fit enough.
Read: Nahas, Riewoldt, Deledio, Polo etc.
Leysy doesnt blame the players for that as they only do the work that is tailored to them.

The number one task for Cameron is to overhaul our sports science, fitness & conditioning area by replacing Hornsby with a leader in that field.

Just to add to that, another reason is the lack of quality midfield depth.

When the chimp inevitably & understandably runs out of gas, there is no-one to pickup the slack.

Not until a completely fully fit Chimp, Lids, Foley & Martin are rolling through the middle pushing the 2nd tier players into minor midfield roles will we start to win games. That wont be this year as only Lids can run games out & unless all of the above have uninterrupted pre-seasons it wont be next year.

But if they do we will turn things around quicker than you might expect.

Agree leysy. The class of Cotchin and Martin stands out like a dogs proverbials. We just lack depth once they tire.

Leysy Days said:
Just to add to that, another reason is the lack of quality midfield depth.

When the chimp inevitably & understandably runs out of gas, there is no-one to pickup the slack.

Not until a completely fully fit Chimp, Lids, Foley & Martin are rolling through the middle pushing the 2nd tier players into minor midfield roles will we start to win games. That wont be this year as only Lids can run games out & unless all of the above have uninterrupted pre-seasons it wont be next year.

But if they do we will turn things around quicker than you might expect.
spot on. Most of our core midfield runners - Cotchin, Foley, Martin, Cousins, Tambling have all had interrupted or limited pre-seasons and this is a very telling factor right now. We can't see out games and struggle to see out quarters. Even when our pressure is up, we do not have anywhere near enough spread from a contest or providing options when we have the footy.

TOT70 said:
Richmond lost that game for exactly the same reason that they have lost closed games like this one for decades. They didn’t lose because of turnovers, lack of fitness, playing kids, young legs, too many kids, too many ordinary footballers or whatever. They lost because when the game was there to be won, Andrew MacLeod, Scott Thompson and TIppett up forward stood up and imposed their presence on the game. Who stood up and imposed themselves on the contest for Richmond?

How many games of footy have we watched where the game was in the balance until MacLeod/Voss/Hird/Buckley/JBrown/Ablett( both father and son)/Judd/insert name of champion here have stood up and won the game for their team? I can think of three occasions where Macleod alone has done this in games against Richmond.

What we need is the leadership that is provided by mature, skilful footballers. Hardwick’s assessment that the reason for the fade out was mental is exactly right. He has taken one important step along the road to recovery by identifying this, now he has to find the next one. HE needs to go to the draft to look for LEADERS.

Spot on. ;) Richo, Knights and Gale were the only true leaders over the last decade. Players like Campbell and Daffy always went missing when the presuure was on.

However, fitness appears to be a worry because the players lack the mental ability to gut bust run. Whether we have the ball or the opposition our players need to run hard and not jog and pretend that they are making position or chasing. :mad:

And then a couple of powerful forwards to finish off everyone else’s work would be a very nice cherry on top.

zgod said:
For those that played footy, do you remember when you were 16/17 or 18 and played your first seniors game. I remember the game being open, seriously fast and damn hard. You were battered pillar to post and you found it hard to run out a match.
This is what our young blokes are copping at the moment. I know you could argue that every other young debutant goes through it. I could argue back that they have more stronger and mature bodies surrounding them to guide and protect them.
I don't think it's a fitness issue at tigerland I really think it's a case of the rabbit being caught in the headlights. When we develop we will tackle harder, run harder and respond with fire when a side gets a run on. At the moment we just lay down when a side puts the blowtorch on us.
I know its another excuse and maybe we are just seriously sh#t, but we will come good with what Dimma is doing which is getting games into young blokes. It's hard to watch but it has to be done.

My first game in the seniors I was blitzing them unfortunately I also broke my leg and spent two weeks in hospital.

TOT70 said:
Richmond lost that game for exactly the same reason that they have lost closed games like this one for decades.
They didn’t lose because of turnovers

I agree with you in part re matchwinners and leadership but I read in the paper that Adelaide kicked 12 goals off our turnovers to our 3 or 4. I would say turnovers played a big part in the loss (once again). Actually a common theme each week and has been for years is the opposition scoring at least 70% of their overall score from our turnovers. Not going to get anywhere until we weed out the poorly skilled and poor decision makers.

I'd focus on this area first if I was DH. Wouldn't be easy though given the cattle at his disposal.

Barnzy said:
I agree with you in part re matchwinners and leadership but I read in the paper that Adelaide kicked 12 goals off our turnovers to our 3 or 4. I would say turnovers played a big part in the loss (once again). Actually a common theme each week and has been for years is the opposition scoring at least 70% of their overall score from our turnovers. Not going to get anywhere until we weed out the poorly skilled and poor decision makers.

I'd focus on this area first if I was DH. Wouldn't be easy though given the cattle at his disposal.

Are we turning it over though partially because we run out of run to get to space to provide an easy option?

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Are we turning it over though partially because we run out of run to get to space to provide an easy option?

I have no doubt that would be part of the problem but this has been happening for years. Poorly skilled footballers and opposition teams hammering our constant turnovers. Still think there's too many poor kicks/poor decision makers (Tuck, Jackson's, etc) being carried in the team every week and in today's modern game you can't afford to have too many as you get punished on the rebound (especially with zones, etc). As I said before though, not much DH can do at the moment give the cattle he's got.

Definitley #1 problem in my eyes, basic skill/decision making errors when under pressure and even when not under pressure. I'm not talking about the kids either but the more senior footballers in our side that are constantly making the same mistakes. Don't think we're going to improve much until this improves and don't see this improving until we cut a bit deeper into the list and continue to draft well.

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Wonder if Blueboy74 will return seeing his topic is still being discussed a week later?

I heard a whisper he might come back.

Seriously, all these excuses for young bodies is just plain wrong. I can cut Martin, Nason and Astbury some slack but what it is the excuse for the lack of run for these players who have had the following number of pre-seasons under them?

Newman 10
Polak 9
Tuck 7
Jackson 7
Moore 7
McGuane 6
Polo 6
Tambling 6
Deledio 6
Thursfield 6
White 5
Riewoldt 4
Edwards 4
Collins 4
Rance 3
Cotchin 3

Watching the run of Carlton last night made me sick. They are hardly any older than us.

Those who want to blame skills (yes .. they could definitely improve) should also bear in mind how much better they are when you’re not absolutely stuffed. Watch our kick-ins from behind the goals … no-one moves … they all have their hands on their hips sucking up air.

We simply must fix it

CONFIDENCE..this is the reason for the fadeouts.

Although we had a crack for 3/4's v the crows, we were only ever a few quick goals by the crows from falling over. Our mental state is so fragile that as soon as we lose touch we are gone with no ability to fight back.

Newman's 2 long bombs that cost goals were a prime example of this. Nobody was presenting & he wasn't prepared to play on. Just bombs to crows players.

On the fitness side, do you all remember Ploughs comment when he started saying we had legs like tennis players? The picture on the back page of Mondays herald sun summed us up - just a bunch of skinny kids. Compare that to the Crows and Cats....

Leysy Days said:
the interesting twist to this is that if we'd beaten Adelaide we may have improved our chances of picking up Neil Craig next year :hihi

Leysy Days said:

This is one of the most valid & important statements made on this forum. A crucial area that needs to be addressed.