Fitness | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Fitness

geoffryprettyboy said:
Well that's fair enough Rosy, I really didn't think you would open up a can of worms.

Geezus, let it go brother...you're bangin on about nothing.

Save it for your cliquey mates ;D

Blueyboy74 said:
As I said, I will cop the likes of Martin, Nason, Dea and the like running out of lhs.

They're not the problem though. We have a host of unfit (relative to their opponents) players. This impacts every SINGLE thing they do.... offensively & defensively.

The reason we look unfit is because the turnovers kill us, we have to run into position then the ball doesn't reach it's destination so then we are on the counter. Skillful teams do smarter running and targets get hit meaning the ball is traveling in one direction and your not running around chasing your tale. Once the turnovers stop we will look a lot fitter.

I also assumed that Beavis's off season focus on teaching the new game plan may have taken some time away from pure fitness. No point being fit if we just run around like headless chooks.

Chocco said:
The reason we look unfit is because the turnovers kill us, we have to run into position then the ball doesn't reach it's destination so then we are on the counter. Skillful teams do smarter running and targets get hit meaning the ball is traveling in one direction and your not running around chasing your tale. Once the turnovers stop we will look a lot fitter.

Agreed, pace is an illusion, effective use of the ball always looks quick, whereas indecision, second efforts to recover, scratching on the ground always looks slow. No leg speed can cover that.

For those that played footy, do you remember when you were 16/17 or 18 and played your first seniors game. I remember the game being open, seriously fast and damn hard. You were battered pillar to post and you found it hard to run out a match.
This is what our young blokes are copping at the moment. I know you could argue that every other young debutant goes through it. I could argue back that they have more stronger and mature bodies surrounding them to guide and protect them.
I don't think it's a fitness issue at tigerland I really think it's a case of the rabbit being caught in the headlights. When we develop we will tackle harder, run harder and respond with fire when a side gets a run on. At the moment we just lay down when a side puts the blowtorch on us.
I know its another excuse and maybe we are just seriously sh#t, but we will come good with what Dimma is doing which is getting games into young blokes. It's hard to watch but it has to be done.

zgod said:
I don't think it's a fitness issue at tigerland I really think it's a case of the rabbit being caught in the headlights. When we develop we will tackle harder, run harder and respond with fire when a side gets a run on. At the moment we just lay down when a side puts the blowtorch on us.

Agree, although I don't know about laying down. We just take softer options instead of trying to play the way Hardwick wants us to.

geoffryprettyboy said:
Is this clique mentatility causing any harm?

What do people expect from a forum when you are on here for nearly a decade, not bump into each other and have a drink, not meet up at a Coburg game or even watch an AFL game?

Everyone has the opportunity to meet each other if they want, hey can you imagine if we alll meet up together we would be one happy family and the word clique wouldn't be used.

It's because half the posters are too fat to squeeze out of their front door, let alone get out of bed. Wireless internet has made chubby laptop users even lazier than ever as they sit on forums and social networking sites 24/7.

zgod said:
we just lay down when a side puts the blowtorch on us.
We don't lay down Godly one we are just not skilful or developed enough yet to stop another side's momentum.
I reckon we're fighting games out to the end ( granted we are 10 or more goals down usually ) which is all we can ask at the moment.

what more is expected of a team that is re-building? a team that is fit, but hasn't got the skills, drills or experience to compete with the 15 other teams in the league? thank god old fatguts isn't at the helm, she never would have culled all the old dead wood at the end of last season. Hardwick's boys are doing alright, whereas last season we were always that team who laid down in the 4th quarter and got *smile* on.

Welcome back Blueboy74 - see ur perusing your thread again - it's still got legs mate!

Fitness i often refer to as tired skills. All these guys are fit, make no mistake. But what seperates us to other teams is the strength and energy to complete a skillset like at the beginning of game - our tired skills wane as the game progresses beyond the rate of other teams - hence the need for some torrid pre-seasons.

This problem won't be solved this season or the next.

That's it from me too. I haven't cliqued with anyone and its been a few years now. I'm off to CA (clique anonymous) to visit my pal blueboy.

Fitness and match fitness are two different things. The fittest person in the world may find it difficult to endure a football match without any match fitness. Even with all the latest technologies, I am sure most players would tell you nothing prepares you for footy as matches do. I agree its difficult for young players to wear the hard bumps and tackles of hardened players over a whole match. This only comes with match experience.

zgod said:
For those that played footy, do you remember when you were 16/17 or 18 and played your first seniors game. I remember the game being open, seriously fast and damn hard. You were battered pillar to post and you found it hard to run out a match.
This is what our young blokes are copping at the moment. I know you could argue that every other young debutant goes through it. I could argue back that they have more stronger and mature bodies surrounding them to guide and protect them.
I know its another excuse and maybe we are just seriously sh#t, but we will come good with what Dimma is doing which is getting games into young blokes. It's hard to watch but it has to be done.

Good Post.

There's no way it's as simple as just fitness. If it is, surely someone would have run a beep test or chucked a GPS on some players to see how far they run compared to their opposition. IMO the illusion of lack of fitness is more likely a combination of:
- what zgod said
- what good1 said
- the fact that we STILL don't project eachother with blocks and shepherds (incidentally this is why our oponents' tackles stick more than ours)
- that our players are so low on confidence that they spend most of the game running at 60-80%. More condfident players know when they can afford to have a rest and then sprint when they need to (so they appear fitter).

martyshire said:
- the fact that we STILL don't project eachother with blocks and shepherds (incidentally this is why our oponents' tackles stick more than ours)

Agree this is a critical factor. And I'll add to that...communication. You cannot under-estimate communication on the field, being proficient at telling your team mates when they are clear and when they are not, advising who is to go up for the mark, when to punch etc etc. This is often a common issue with young sides, where youngsters don't yet have the confidence or the experience to yell out instruction.

GoodOne said:
Agree this is a critical factor. And I'll add to that...communication. You cannot under-estimate communication on the field, being proficient at telling your team mates when they are clear and when they are not, advising who is to go up for the mark, when to punch etc etc. This is often a common issue with young sides, where youngsters don't yet have the confidence or the experience to yell out instruction.

yep, case in point, McGuane getting monstered on Sunday whilst 3 of our blokes within 15 metres of him didnt say a thing....people might be saying ahh its McGuane, spanner, dud, no peripheral vision, no awareness blah, blah, blah, but gee it doesnt hurt to let him know that he was about to be poleaxed....

Barkdog said:
yep, case in point, McGuane getting monstered on Sunday whilst 3 of our blokes within 15 metres of him didnt say a thing....people might be saying ahh its McGuane, spanner, dud, no peripheral vision, no awareness blah, blah, blah, but gee it doesnt hurt to let him know that he was about to be poleaxed....
Absolutely agree with your point in case - when you know it's coming you can brace and protect the ball - McGuane's teamates didn't give him that opportunity in that instance - and so everyone says McGuane'e dud - a spillage, clanger. I blamed his three teamates as well Barker! We are a team of mutes still!

PS - A couple of recently retired AFL players said the same thing, wouldn't run anyone down (as they shouldn't), but did say RFc is the quietest team on field.

Phar Ace said:
Absolutely agree with your point in case - when you know it's coming you can brace and protect the ball - McGuane's teamates didn't give him that opportunity in that instance - and so everyone says McGuane'e dud - a spillage, clanger. I blamed his three teamates as well Barker! We are a team of mutes still!

PS - A couple of recently retired AFL players said the same thing, wouldn't run anyone down (as they shouldn't), but did say RFc is the quietest team on field.

From the couple of training sessions I have been to, this is definitely something DH is working on. I remember him telling Browny during one of the drills, that if he wasn't gonna speak up that he could *smile* off!!!

Phar Ace said:

The lack of talk on the field is extremely noticeable live pharaceo.
Agree with others that perhaps McGuane's sense of impending danger wasn't great but I'll bet no one let him know he was red hot either. :-X
We've got history re poor communication.

zgod said:
This is what our young blokes are copping at the moment.

GoodOne said:
And I'll add to that...communication. You cannot under-estimate communication on the field, being proficient at telling your team mates when they are clear and when they are not, advising who is to go up for the mark, when to punch etc etc. This is often a common issue with young sides, where youngsters don't yet have the confidence or the experience to yell out instruction.

Good posting fellas.

One of the things I noted favourably on the thread about the Yea praccie match against Geelong was the great talk I could hear on the ground.

A big problem, particularly with young teams, is once they get behind the talk drops off right when it's most needed. Unfortunately we don't have the right type of senior players to drive this with one or two exceptions.

GoodOne said:
Fitness and match fitness are two different things. The fittest person in the world may find it difficult to endure a football match without any match fitness. Even with all the latest technologies, I am sure most players would tell you nothing prepares you for footy as matches do. I agree its difficult for young players to wear the hard bumps and tackles of hardened players over a whole match. This only comes with match experience.

Very good point.

22 match fit players not being able to execute a game plan is pointless.

Surely there is more than one factor that is required for a team to click.