Fitness | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Fitness

Blueyboy74

Tiger Rookie
Feb 17, 2008
Haven't posted for a while and probably won't again. Too many cliques on here

Anyway, our fitness is nowhere near where it should be. Sure I will cut some slack for the younger players but we have that many players who cannot spread, tackle, hold tackles, hold their feet, run out games etc because they are absolutely stuffed.

I think we have intent in mind but not in body. The fitness staff SIMPLY MUST GO

Yep , i think someone on here said they were contracted this year which is why they didn't get the flick..
tigerbob,dd or anyone heard anything about moves in that area at the end of the year?

Blueyboy74 said:

Anyway, our fitness is nowhere near where it should be. Sure I will cut some slack for the younger players but we have that many players who cannot spread, tackle, hold tackles, hold their feet, run out games etc because they are absolutely stuffed.

I think we have intent in mind but not in body. The fitness staff SIMPLY MUST GO

Good post - all spot on. Were stuffed just before half time apparently. You should post more - LIFT! ;D

Phar Ace said:
Good post - all spot on. Were stuffed just before half time apparently. You should post more - LIFT! ;D

He'd love to post more but quite frankly his fitness is not up to scratch

Thanks Phar Ace but u can see why I don't post. If Phantom posted this it would have 80 replies. "great post Phantom" I have used him as example but it's certainly not his fault. Just the sycophants.

This is our biggest issue but "what does Matty Rogers think" will generate more discussion.

Blueyboy74 said:
Thanks Phar Ace but u can see why I don't post. If Phantom posted this it would have 80 replies. "great post Phantom" I have used him as example but it's certainly not his fault. Just the sycophants.

This is our biggest issue but "what does Matty Rogers think" will generate more discussion.
I do know where you are coming from, a few other posters i know have said similar things - nothing different to life though. That 'they' see themselves as more relevent shouldn't matter a toss - more people read than post (more's the pity), so never think the clique rules! ;)

Blueyboy74 said:

i hear ya Bluey

Blueyboy74 said:

You'll find that is Phantom replying to his own posts.

We spent the first half carrying around much heavier opponents, and when we weren't carrying them on our backs we were chasing their tales. Great experience for players not so much for the fans.

Blueyboy74 said:

I fully agree with you Blueboy - we seem to run out of legs after half time and at this level that is unacceptable. I hope that we seriously look at our fitness coaches next year but we cannot let them stay if this is the best they can do with the boys. It is baffling how this could be the case for a professional outfit actually. Our lack of run and tackle upsets me each week. I would like to think that this is a foundation of any game plan but it does not seem to be the case for the Tigers. Keep posting blueboy, you have good insight and I for one appreciate that.

agree. But you have to remember we have a very young team and it will take a few pre seasons to get their fitness to AFL level.
It's going to take time, but we'll get there.

Blueyboy74 said:

Most of my 5000+ posts haven't merited a response. Strike a chord with people and you'll get one.

Reckon we've fought most games out reasonably well, all things considered, and that general fitness isn't one of the big issues. Tackling is another thing; it's been poor most weeks.

We're playing so many kids who aren't developed enough to match their opponents physically. There was a story on North rookie Majak Daw in the pre-season, along with the photo below, in which the club medico said he was 18 months away from having a physique fit for AFL football.

900901-majak-daw.jpg

As I said, I will cop the likes of Martin, Nason, Dea and the like running out of lhs.

They're not the problem though. We have a host of unfit (relative to their opponents) players. This impacts every SINGLE thing they do.... offensively & defensively.

Bluebagger
It's youth combined with the enormous amount of mistakes we make then have to chase opposition players that makes us look unfit.
We

While i agree we do look stuffed by half time, i actually don't believe that is the issue. While we may not have the tanks of most opposition we come up against due to age differences, i strongly believe it is more mental than physical. We basically don't have the players who WANT to chase down every ball, who WANT to make 3-4 lung busting runs to provide an option down the field to help out a team mate with the ball. Our players are mentally weak rather than physically, and only choose to chase and present when it suits them. Reiwoldt and Morton are the prime example. If they are any chance getting into a position that will give them an opportunity to snap a goal and look good on the stat sheet they will in most cases present and run hard. Once they have no chance of adding to their goal tally or stat sheet they simply give up. When was the last time you saw Reiwoldt and Morton continually chase down an opponent when they lose out in a marking contest or have no chance of receiving the ball?? I would call it selfish and mentally weak players rather than physcially weak.

Even Cousins has lost his drive and determination. Now that may also be due to age and injuries but i think he has had enough of continually pushing his body to provide a target while watching his team mates just prance around. It spreads like a cancer and at the moment we are terminal.

We must sack the fitness staff at the end of the year
I don't care if they still have contracts, if anything they should be sued for fraud

My case rested. The negligible conversation going on elsewhere is so irrelevant.

Cannot believe how people don't see how central this issue is. Adios

Blueyboy74 said:
My case rested. The negligible conversation going on elsewhere is so irrelevant.

Cannot believe how people don't see how central this issue is. Adios

Ask a question, don't like everyones opion so now you're leaving.
Thanks for coming.