Euro 2024 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Euro 2024

If countries like Australia are looking at countries to aspire to in this sport, I often find myself drawn to countries like Switzerland and Denmark. Neither reach the absolute pinnacle of the sport. But consistently solid at the top level. They have comparable wealth, population (actually a bit smaller), general living standards and potential talent pool.
A bit smaller? Denmark's population is less than 22% of Australia's. But your point is none-the-less valid.

A bit smaller? Denmark's population is less than 22% of Australia's. But your point is none-the-less valid.
Yeah, realise that. When typing on a phone, trying to minimise word count. Hence a passing reference to “a bit” smaller not emphasising enough.

For reference Switzerland only 8-9mil. Not like there isn’t some competition for the athletic talent pool either. Winter snow sports very popular and the likes of cycling, tennis and athletics take some too.

Gotta admit that old fart knows absolutely three fifths of *smile* all in regard to soccer. Yet I'm highly amused by all the lay experts n meedjia hyperventilators that have been slagging off at the Poms for their inept n incompetent performances during this euro cup tournament.
Poms, from what I hear have been playing a staid, stodgy, safe n ugly brand of soccer all tournament that was fairly incompetent at best. But have somehow managed to arrive at what? The last four teams of the tournament?
Something tells me that when you're playing a round robin n then knockout tournament series against the best teams of Europe n the U.K. making the last four teams would be somehow a fairly competent and decent performance by the players and the coaches. They might not go all the way n get the shiny trophy but sometimes it's far better to play ugly and achieve as best you can than to play pretty n achieve absolutely *smile* all.

Reactions: 1 user
Gotta admit that old fart knows absolutely three fifths of *smile* all in regard to soccer. Yet I'm highly amused by all the lay experts n meedjia hyperventilators that have been slagging off at the Poms for their inept n incompetent performances during this euro cup tournament.
Poms, from what I hear have been playing a staid, stodgy, safe n ugly brand of soccer all tournament that was fairly incompetent at best. But have somehow managed to arrive at what? The last four teams of the tournament?
Something tells me that when you're playing a round robin n then knockout tournament series against the best teams of Europe n the U.K. making the last four teams would be somehow a fairly competent and decent performance by the players and the coaches. They might not go all the way n get the shiny trophy but sometimes it's far better to play ugly and achieve as best you can than to play pretty n achieve absolutely *smile* all.

My maths isn't that great but quarter finals usually consists of 8 teams Maso?