Euro 2024 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Euro 2024

I think 4 points will get a 3rd place finishing team to qualify. I think thats why Steve Clarke pumped his fist at getting the draw, his focus is on beating Hungary and getting a point against the Swiss.

Managing an international team is kind of like making a patchwork quilt,
and Gareth Southgate is not much of a seamstress.

England being…well…England again.

I think we've been Southgated again. Both games have followed the exact same pattern. Start out with a high press, dominate possession and territory. Score the 1st goal and then sit back and surrender possession to the opponent. Not sure why we do that, the players mostly play a similar high press at club land so why we go into this defensive mindset after leading is beyond me, it simply has to be at the coaches direction.

Disappointing result this morning when we could have sewed up passage to the easier side of the draw. Now we leave it open to having to beat Slovenia to ensure our pathway. Cracking goal by the Danes though.

Group B wide open again as to who qualifies. Italy looked rubbish against Spain, so gives Croatia a look back in towards qualification. Win and they finish 2nd, with Italy finishing 3rd on 3 points. Will that be enough to qualify? Possibly.

Group B wide open again as to who qualifies. Italy looked rubbish against Spain, so gives Croatia a look back in towards qualification. Win and they finish 2nd, with Italy finishing 3rd on 3 points. Will that be enough to qualify? Possibly.
Nothing worse than an own goal in a world tournament.

Especially if you are Colombian
Yeah, I remember that player Escobar? Was the captain I think, kicked an own goal at the World Cup in the USA in the 1990’s.
Then got shot in the back when the team got back to Colombia. Poor bastard. Win and you’re a national hero, lose or do something bad and you’re a dead man.

As an England supporter I've seen my fair share of gut wrenching losses, but the way Croatia were knocked out this morning is probably 1 touch further than that. Brutal to be knocked out with the last kick of the game when you were through before then.

VAR, ARC, etc, are destroying sports

I reckon VAR has been quite good, but I hate the offside calls. IMO the offside call should be based on leg position, not that your hand is past the defender. It should be focused on the advantage of the attacker not the defender, and if your legs are in line then IMO you should be deemed to be offside. The fact that your hand might be past the defender isn't indicative of gaining an advantage.

Reactions: 1 users
I reckon VAR has been quite good, but I hate the offside calls. IMO the offside call should be based on leg position, not that your hand is past the defender. It should be focused on the advantage of the attacker not the defender, and if your legs are in line then IMO you should be deemed to be offside. The fact that your hand might be past the defender isn't indicative of gaining an advantage.
That rule has changed, hasnt it, maybe to come into force very soon.

That rule has changed, hasnt it, maybe to come into force very soon.

I hope so, some of the offsides in this tournament so far have been disappointing to see. For me, they are onside but by the letter of the law, their arm was past the last defender, but you can't handle the ball so what advantage do they gain. Hopefully the changes come in from next season then.

I went searching for articles on what you suggested, and seems the offside rule already states that it doesn't include the hands or arms. I know I've seen at least 1 offside call that shows only the arm of the player in an offside position. The search that I found was that they were looking at what Wenger suggested which is the entire body of the player needs to be in front of the last defender. I reckon thats going too far in favour of the attacker and will result in more defensive lines being played by teams, especially weaker teams. It could actually hinder scoring.

Reactions: 1 user
I hope so, some of the offsides in this tournament so far have been disappointing to see. For me, they are onside but by the letter of the law, their arm was past the last defender, but you can't handle the ball so what advantage do they gain. Hopefully the changes come in from next season then.

I went searching for articles on what you suggested, and seems the offside rule already states that it doesn't include the hands or arms. I know I've seen at least 1 offside call that shows only the arm of the player in an offside position. The search that I found was that they were looking at what Wenger suggested which is the entire body of the player needs to be in front of the last defender. I reckon thats going too far in favour of the attacker and will result in more defensive lines being played by teams, especially weaker teams. It could actually hinder scoring.
My memory suggests that the change will be no part of the body that can score- head, chest, legs, Maradonna's hand- can be "offside" and that the change will come in at the end of this season- which would be post- Euros i guess.

Reactions: 1 user
My memory suggests that the change will be no part of the body that can score- head, chest, legs, Maradonna's hand- can be "offside" and that the change will come in at the end of this season- which would be post- Euros i guess.

Thats already the law apparently according to this.

But then I'm sure I've seen offsides in this tournament given when just the arm is past the last defender.

The proposals I can find to change are these ones.

As an England supporter I've seen my fair share of gut wrenching losses, but the way Croatia were knocked out this morning is probably 1 touch further than that. Brutal to be knocked out with the last kick of the game when you were through before then.

Croatia should have tried to get a second goal rather than shytehousing with fouls and injuries to show the game down after they scored. In this they were more Italian than the Italians last night 🤣

Respect to Modric but they didn't deserve to go through.