Eddie McGuire | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Eddie McGuire

mark davey

Tiger Superstar
Jul 8, 2004
ASPENDALE
What is this guy's problem?
Collingwood decided that it did not want Cousins and now it appears they don't want anyone else to have him either.

Eddie seems to have a problem with Richmond. Presently it is Cousins, last week he attacked the journalist for highlighting that Collingwood is ripping off its cheer squad members (he mentioned that she was a member of Richmond C.S and they were the rip offs.)
Before that it was over gate sharing and meant the Richmond v Collingwood season opener was lost.

Eddie should focus on getting his clubs investments and player behaviour right rather than trying to sabotage other clubs.

I for one won't be listening to his Collingwood rubbish on his proposed new SEN show.

Has always ben a tosser. Is full of ambiguity and conflicts of interest while on the Footy show. He basically said hat Ramanskus was a special situation and we shouldnt now be using the rookie list for all sorts of situations. Well gee Eddie I guess being brain damaged after being hit by a train is an everyday occurrence that should not be given special consideration. The guy is a joke.

Saying all this I am not convinced the AFL will grant rookies status. The Tigers should have asked for this exemption a long time ago, and it now could be looked at getting an advantage rather than a simple consideration for keeping Polak on the list. From memory the Ramanskus case, didn't Essendon use the 'we cant keep him on our list' line when rquesting form rookie status?

McGuire will backtrack on the comments he made on radio last night.

He was basically trying to can the idea (I guess he's thinking - never give a sucker an even break), but was quick to disclaim himself by saying that he didn't have all the facts and there are a lot of questions to be answered before his support can be given.

Basically, if Richmond have a current (since the ND) medical report stating the extended issues with Polak, then Eddie would come off as an A grade scumbag by opposing the Polak application. And he's likely to be in the minority. If Eddie tries to make this all about Cousins, I reckon he knows he can't win the debate.

This is ALL about whether the RFC has it's house in order and isn't just throwing a Hail Mary. As I've said a couple of times now - I hope we know what we're doing. Eddie's influence will be gone by the weekend.

Poor Eddie.

He should stick to the things he is best at, like running Television Networks and buying and managing pubs.

Timing is everything in the media. I'm sure Eddie knew what the H-S back page story was going to be yesterday and he did some fancy footwork to fan the "Richmond-Cousins-this is unfair" fires to ensure that it got back-page coverage instead. Boganwood's $8Mill fiasco suddenly is not the main story.

Mission accomplished.

Poor Eddie. He can see the Richmond genie escaping out of the bottle and he doesn't like it one bit.

Eddie can throw out all the historical references he wants and claim that Richmond are putting the rest of the clubs over a emotional barrel but he has been outsmarted and is not happy. Like two kids playing with a shiny new toy, one of them has decided that he doesn’t think that the toy is any good. The other kid picks it up and finds a new way to use it that the other didn’t think of. All of a sudden the first kid wants the two back even though he gave it up.

For one of the first times Richmond are trying to bend and massage the rules to get a advantage and Eddie is fuming that he didn’t think of it.

SCOOP said:
Eddie can throw out all the historical references he wants and claim that Richmond are putting the rest of the clubs over a emotional barrel but he has been outsmarted and is not happy. Like two kids playing with a shiny new toy, one of them has decided that he doesn’t think that the toy is any good. The other kid picks it up and finds a new way to use it that the other didn’t think of. All of a sudden the first kid wants the two back even though he gave it up.

For one of the first times Richmond are trying to bend and massage the rules to get a advantage and Eddie is fuming that he didn’t think of it.

Good post Scooper! I've read other threads where some posters think this to be very amateurish by the RFC, I completely disagree. I think it's a masterstroke, and it's about time we start thinking outside the box, and doing anything (legally) to win. As another poster commented, this has Sheedy written all over it.

Eddie.......whatever......

The more clubs coming out saying they have no problem with it, the more Eddie looks like a jerk! I love it!

Watch him take back those comments quick smart.

If the RFC are doing this to get Cousins....then make no mistake Cousins will be in the yellow and black next year. No doubt.

Sorry Eddie - the sleeping Tiger is waking up. The Lexus Palace across the other side of the Yarra (that the Vic Governement basically paid for by the way but now finds that Collingwood is trying to entirely take over) is starting to get nervous.

tha8ball said:
The more clubs coming out saying they have no problem with it, the more Eddie looks like a jerk! I love it!

Watch him take back those comments quick smart.

If the RFC are doing this to get Cousins....then make no mistake Cousins will be in the yellow and black next year. No doubt.
I'm hoping

SCOOP said:

Good analogy. That's how I view it also. I don't think Eddie has as much a issue with it as much as he fears if Cousins goes to another club, how bad it will reflect on collingwood if it's a success.

As an aside I don't like the club backflipping on the Polak thing, that just makes as look stupid/hypocritical. We should have either done it earlier or kept our mouths shut and not had key club figures going on record talking about "we don't want compensation, we want what is best for Polak and believe this is it".

However I'm happy the club are being resourceful, thinking out the box, being aggressive in pursuit of improving our list etc. I just think they could have done it a little smarter.

Eddie is only against this now so he can wring some concessions out of the AFL to benefit Collingwood. When he gets the concessions he wants he will be out in the media fully supporting the move

Well I'm going against the grain, he's not saying he's definitely against it just that he needs more info and time. I reckon he actually makes some good points, especially about the timing. Why did we not do this before the ND? It probably looks to him like we're trying to 'game' the system, and to be quite honest I think we are. As a Tiger supporter I'm obviously not against that, although I remain opposed to Cousins coming to us, but I can understand other clubs being against us trying to gain an advantage. We've already committed to Polak staying on the list next year so its not as though we're going to dump him.

And another thing why can't we take Cousins with the 1 PSD pick we already have?

I reckon we could take Cuz with our 1 pick but I think the club also want a young player.

Maybe the scum were never out of the race and were going to quietly take cuz.... who knows.