Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Geez. I'm bloody surprised that I had to go looking for the Dusty thread. If he was carrying a dodgy back before the game, then shame on all involved in letting him play. If not, he was bog ordinary early in the game even before he got injured.
Struggling often with injury issues and even when he's fit he's barely impacting games for much more than a qtr here n there. Got me a feeling that the Dusty one is pretty much cooked n should seriously consider packing up the marbles at seasons end. Reckon he's playing the game at about half rat power this year n it's not gunna get any better. Bloody hard watching him struggle at mere mortal level.

Reactions: 2 users
Maybe he's just had enough and counting down the days to the end where he gets to live away from the fishbowl and find his happiness in his next chapter.

Losing his father and his injury ended the Invinceibility of the great man.

His mind set had been understandably shifted probably significantly and he's never been the same.

What a truly wonderful and imperious player.

Weve been blessed.

Revel in the fact you were here to witness the true greatness.

Will always be the Tiger KIng.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
He looked super stiff when he was running in the warm up.

I wonder if he played more to just hose down the retiring in season noise. Not a great reason to play.

I’m definitely an optimist but think it comes down to what’s in his head. If some one can work out how to still get the best out of themselves as they age it will be him. Seems to have been a master of preparation his whole career and maybe he dropped off in that regard this year (or else it is just Father Time).

Let’s be honest. It’s over.
We’d love him to play on and on and replicate his best. Even in cameo.
But the fact is, “Father Time” waits for no man.
Hardly been the same since his horrendous injury.
With his dad’s passing, footy could have been his solace or life had a different meaning for him.

I will always be appreciative that Dusty was ours. We saw him in his glory. He brought us such joy and had a big big part in 3 premierships.

But…..I think he’s done. He may be back, that will be his choice. He deserves that much.
But never ever again at his peak, nor close to it.

Reactions: 2 users
Our issue is for 2025 we need to pay salary cap minimum. Do we contract and overpay C grade players to fill up cap space or do we give Dusty a retirement send off as a super sub part time coach on the bench for 2025 and pay him overs. Then at the end of 2025 we will have had 2 bottom finishes and two draft hauls and a huge war chest as Lynch comes off his $2million 2025 contract. This would set us up for a huge draft hand for 2025 draft with $2mil plus in hand to bring in some established talent.

Reactions: 1 users
Our issue is for 2025 we need to pay salary cap minimum. Do we contract and overpay C grade players to fill up cap space or do we give Dusty a retirement send off as a super sub part time coach on the bench for 2025 and pay him overs. Then at the end of 2025 we will have had 2 bottom finishes and two draft hauls and a huge war chest as Lynch comes off his $2million 2025 contract.
The club can change player contracts that already exist to front load their deals to meet the minimum 95%. Leaving more funds to land a big fish in future years.

For example, restructure and front load Bolton, taranto, rioli and Hopper so they are each paid the majority of their contract over the next 1-2 years. We then meet the 95% salary cap minimum and have lots of cash to spend after those 2 years.

Reactions: 1 user
He has a back injury. He's labouring through it selflessly so our cubs can absorb all they can. Whether it is something that is likely to improve or not will determine if he goes on.

Reactions: 4 users
Part of me wants this Tiger immortal to hang them up now , guaranteeing him a one club player , another part wants to be able to send him off with a win against the Suns , another part of me wants him to go on as a permanent forward with the cubs for a couple more seasons .

Forever grateful #4

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
just leave him in the pocket or on the HFF. doesn't have the run to be a midfeilder any more

Sore back from shagging everyone’s wives. “Oh Dustin Martin…….”
Thank you Grog Squad :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
The club can change player contracts that already exist to front load their deals to meet the minimum 95%. Leaving more funds to land a big fish in future years.

For example, restructure and front load Bolton, taranto, rioli and Hopper so they are each paid the majority of their contract over the next 1-2 years. We then meet the 95% salary cap minimum and have lots of cash to spend after those 2 years.
Just have to be careful who you apply this strategy with. You have to be certain that after bringing a players salary forward that they aren’t then going to ask for a trade when their contract reverts to minimum chips in a couple of years time.