Drafts 2015 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Drafts 2015

TigerForce said:
I reckon no team will bid for the risk of dropping a rung on the draft list tonight. Huge loopholes in this system.

I was thinking that, why would you bid, when it is most likely matched, and bump yourself down? Not bidding would mean they get them for unders when their pick comes up anyway right?

tigersnake said:
I was thinking that, why would you bid, when it is most likely matched, and bump yourself down? Not bidding would mean they get them for unders when their pick comes up anyway right?

As long as GWS, Sydney and Brisbane have enough picks to add up the points, they can easily match any bid and still have the later picks to use.

GWS have picks 10, 34, 43, 53, 55, 58, 63, 64, 65, 70 which provides them with a lot of points.

Same with Swans with picks 33, 36, 37 44, 54, 69, 72 and Brisbane with 2, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42.

tigersnake said:
The higher the draft pick the more points needed meaning you then move up the draft order with later picks??

This whole thing is confusing.

http://m.smh.com.au/afl/trading-and-drafting/who-will-your-club-pick-in-the-afl-draft-20151123-gl5zr3.html

Emma Quayle is a pretty good draft analyst and here is her phantom draft.

It's a pretty even buffet after pick 3, take your pick.

Great read

So who are we thinking is the most likely with the no 12 pick. Media speculation is linking Richmond to Callum Ah Chee. But a bit being written today linking the Tiges to Dan Rioli. Sounds as if they are two players in quite a similar mould. Anyone got any idea whom looks the better prospect of the two? Or is it pretty line ball between them?

we want Ah Chee but he seems he'll be gone so we'll take Rioli. that's how it's expected to play out anyway

tigersnake said:

If there are no bids for the NSW or Qld academy players then GWS, Suns and Brisbane will take a player in the general pool and wait to take their academy players with lower picks.

The only way the other clubs have access to the NSW or Qld academy players is by bidding for them.

We need the clubs with the higher picks to bid and force GWS, Suns and Brisbane to use their picks on the academy picks and leave the general pool players for us.

The only thing is the other clubs have to rate the NSW Qld academy players higher or equal to players available in the general pool or run risk the northern clubs will not bid leaving them to take that player.

Brisbane with # 2 will most likely pick out of the general pool as Carlton wont take the risk with pick 1.

However The Suns have pick # 6 so we need Melbourne or Essendon to bid on one of their players so we make them take their academy player. Same with GWS with pick #10. We need Carlton, Melbourne or Adelaide to bid on one (or better still two) of their academy players.

If there are no bids then Suns and GWS can take a player linked to us like Ah Chee and wait for a club lower down to make a bid and then the points needed by Suns or GWS will be less.

Hope that makes sense.

Maybe I am missing something but wouldn't it be in the interests of clubs other than Northerns for say Melbourne to go bid, bid, bid, bid on Mills, Kennedy, Hopper and maybe Hipwood, all acknowledged high quality picks to make the Northerns pay the most and get that stuff out of the way. Melbourne should still then get it's acknowledged next pick of say Oliver, or Parish or Francis

DLR said:
Maybe I am missing something but wouldn't it be in the interests of clubs other than Northerns for say Melbourne to go bid, bid, bid, bid on Mills, Kennedy, Hopper and maybe Hipwood, all acknowledged high quality picks to make the Northerns pay the most and get that stuff out of the way. Melbourne should still then get it's acknowledged next pick of say Oliver, or Parish or Francis

only if you value the academy player at that pick or rather that the academy club does - if GWS, Bris or Syd decide not to match, you will use your pick on that player

Jonesracing82 said:
we want Ah Chee but he seems he'll be gone so we'll take Rioli. that's how it's expected to play out anyway

Don't think anyone has correctly predict our first pick since Hardwick came in.

Saying we'll pick Rioli is surprising, because he doesn't sound at all like a Francis Jackson 'vanilla' pick. Mind you Frank's done pretty well with his vanilla players in recent years.

CarnTheTiges said:
Saying we'll pick Rioli is surprising, because he doesn't sound at all like a Francis Jackson 'vanilla' pick. Mind you Frank's done pretty well with his vanilla players in recent years.

Well neither really was Corey Ellis last year, I think the club realises now is the time to go with a bit more x factor.

TigerPort said:
If there are no bids for the NSW or Qld academy players then GWS, Suns and Brisbane will take a player in the general pool and wait to take their academy players with lower picks.

The only way the other clubs have access to the NSW or Qld academy players is by bidding for them.

We need the clubs with the higher picks to bid and force GWS, Suns and Brisbane to use their picks on the academy picks and leave the general pool players for us.

The only thing is the other clubs have to rate the NSW Qld academy players higher or equal to players available in the general pool or run risk the northern clubs will not bid leaving them to take that player.

Brisbane with # 2 will most likely pick out of the general pool as Carlton wont take the risk with pick 1.

However The Suns have pick # 6 so we need Melbourne or Essendon to bid on one of their players so we make them take their academy player. Same with GWS with pick #10. We need Carlton, Melbourne or Adelaide to bid on one (or better still two) of their academy players.

If there are no bids then Suns and GWS can take a player linked to us like Ah Chee and wait for a club lower down to make a bid and then the points needed by Suns or GWS will be less.

Hope that makes sense.

I'm getting there, like bidding up in 500 to make the opposition do some work?

So if you have pick 8 and want player X, and GWS have pick 7 and you think they might take X, you bid on their man Y to make them take him, then your man X falls and you get him.

You're no worse off from bidding, only better off. Only fly in the ointment is if you don't want player Y and they don't match your bid.

CarnTheTiges said:

No, I think Jarhead was a typical Francis pick. Solid, reliable, dependable and massive leadership potential. Just happens to be one of the best kicks with massive amounts of time I've seen in a while too.

Rioli Mk. III is the X Factor type we've avoided until know and goes against the grain of our first picks.

Surely that is the best three highlight videos we have ever drafted. Hopefully its the talent not the production values that stands the test of time.

DLR said:
Yes if Melbourne had bid on the 4 in a row they may have got "stuck" with one and missed out on the player they genuinely wanted. Take the Adelaide case they seriously wanted the GWS player but knew the bid would be matched they also knew their second choice Milera would be there's anyway so it was a no lose bid. In the GC case they had no serious rated academy kid so no club was going to bid on that kid at 6 because they knew GC were not going to no match and so they would have wasted bid 6 on a player likely to be available in the 40s. I think the system worked pretty well as the AFL had to stop the continuing "I want to go home stuff from the weaker Northern clubs". They have (or had) very limited access to the old father/ son player. Now every one is in the same boat. Loved the smirk on the Essendon mob when they bid on Silvagni.

I have said it before the draft and will say it again, the riverina is afl heartland and a traditional feeder of AFL stars. It should not be part of academy selections and has seriously distorted this year's draft.

Having lived in the Riverina for over 50 years. I can not agree with this. Parts of the Riverina are strong Aussie Rules towns but others (like Leeton where Townsend and Hopper are from) Aussie Rules is the third code behind both rugby codes (lived there for 5 years so pretty sure of this).

Kennedy comes from Collingullie. Would not have been on any ones radar if not for GWS academy. Before the academy I have seen kids dominate the Riverina Football League and not even get interviewed by AFL teams.

I know of kids in the GWS academy from the Griffith area that are in the academy that come from families that have been rugby players for generations.

There is no doubt in my mind that the GWS academy is a major reason that these kids are coming through

Your argument about the Riverina being a strong AFL area is only true if you limit the Riverina to the southern portion and those towns along the old South West Railway line. The rest of the Riverina has traditionally been rugby dominated.

Letsroar said:
Having lived in the Riverina for over 50 years. I can not agree with this. Parts of the Riverina are strong Aussie Rules towns but others (like Leeton where Townsend and Hopper are from) Aussie Rules is the third code behind both rugby codes (lived there for 5 years so pretty sure of this).

Kennedy comes from Collingullie. Would not have been on any ones radar if not for GWS academy. Before the academy I have seen kids dominate the Riverina Football League and not even get interviewed by AFL teams.

I know of kids in the GWS academy from the Griffith area that are in the academy that come from families that have been rugby players for generations.

There is no doubt in my mind that the GWS academy is a major reason that these kids are coming through

Your argument about the Riverina being a strong AFL area is only true if you limit the Riverina to the southern portion and those towns along the old South West Railway line. The rest of the Riverina has traditionally been rugby dominated.
Thanks for clarifying LR