Drafts 2015 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Drafts 2015

TigerForce said:
I know. Just asking if we would be interested in bidding for a higher pick considering we only have pick 12 (1268 pts) and pick 52 (246 pts)

All the phantom drafts reckon Melb will go for Mills, Blooze for Hopper, Crows for Hipwood early in the draft, but then again what's the use in bidding if the northern clubs would match that bid as they all have a lot of points to use up later. It's only going to make the bidder drop another rung on the draft pick list.
Melbourne could nominate themselves out of the cursed #6 draft spot
Seriously going down because you make someone take an Academy or F/S isn't a penalty because they waste more points paying for a higher selection
Only nominating someone you don't want is a penalty

DirtyDogTiger said:
If Sydney uses 6 picks to get one player it means our other later picks gain value because the swans original picks disappear.

But, after pick 12 we only have pick 52 that's worth some points. Huge gap between. In order to go for this bidding system, we would've built up our draft picks to add up the later points, and as we haven't, it looks like we'll just go for the next best at pick 12 (or later depending if the early bids are matched) and whoever's on the shelves at pick 52+.

TigerForce said:
But, after pick 12 we only have pick 52 that's worth some points. Huge gap between. In order to go for this bidding system, we would've built up our draft picks to add up the later points, and as we haven't, it looks like we'll just go for the next best at pick 12 (or later depending if the early bids are matched) and whoever's on the shelves at pick 52+.

We will bid for Kennedy.

WesternTiger said:
We will bid for Kennedy.

If so, the way I've calculated this is:

* GWS match our pick 12 and take Kennedy.
* We move to pick 13
* GWS' pick 34 becomes pick 90+
* GWS' pick 43 becomes pick 57

Somehow, I can't see the point in this bidding.

TigerForce said:
Since we have useless (in fact, literally pointless) picks from 52 onwards, we might as well use the 1268 points to bid for a higher pick.

You can't bundle them for a pick, you bundle theme for a player.
The only eligible players are from one of the NSW/Q clubs' academies.

Herald sun saying we may beat Hawthorn to Cyril 2.0

Not sure what pick no. they are referring to.

Can anyone expand?

Is he worth an early pick (if that's what HS is saying)?

theglove3 said:

Can anyone expand?

We have 12 they have 15.

how did so many academy kids become top prospects? Rarely would there be any NSW or QLD kids picked early in any draft and now we have about 4 in the top 10. Or are these Vic/SA/WA kids that have been placed in these academies?

theglove3 said:

Can anyone expand?

Is it Ah Chee?

If its Milera or rioli we take milera in a heartbeat . Interesting to read how Riolim is moving up draft boards when some say though talented nowhere near Cyril,s class . Is this the obos of draft watchers ?

Over the last few years we tended to know where the top 10 or so players were going, unless thats my imagination :D This year though, it seems very open.

Tames said:
Over the last few years we tended to know where the top 10 or so players were going, unless thats my imagination :D This year though, it seems very open.

Correct Tames

I must be very dumb as I don't understand this point system. Suppose if I really sit down and go through it all it may jell, but right now it is mumbo jumbo to me. As Pauline once said, please explain!!

TigerForce said:
If so, the way I've calculated this is:

* GWS match our pick 12 and take Kennedy.
* We move to pick 13
* GWS' pick 34 becomes pick 90+
* GWS' pick 43 becomes pick 57

Somehow, I can't see the point in this bidding.

Okay, now i'm really confused. :eek:

Harry said:
how did so many academy kids become top prospects? Rarely would there be any NSW or QLD kids picked early in any draft and now we have about 4 in the top 10. Or are these Vic/SA/WA kids that have been placed in these academies?

Thought the same thing, Hopper is from Ballarat!

se7en said:
Okay, now i'm really confused. :eek:

yeah clear as mud. Seems the league has come up with a way the new sides can bundle up a heap of nothing picks for one good pick.

tigersnake said:
yeah clear as mud. Seems the league has come up with a way the new sides can bundle up a heap of nothing picks for one good pick.

I reckon no team will bid for the risk of dropping a rung on the draft list tonight. Huge loopholes in this system.

tigersnake said:
Thought the same thing, Hopper is from Ballarat!
Most of these guys, at least the ones that GWS and Sydney are after, hail from the Riverina, just over the border. It's probably the one major area of NSW where AFL is near dominant although I don't claim expertise on this. (never lived there)
It just so happens that there is some A-grade talent that's developed there recently.
I think you'll find Hopper's home is up there. He boarded at St.Pat's, Ballarat, like a lot of talented country players including the likes of Daniel Rioli, from Tiwi Islands.
St.Pat's is a virtual football academy of its own. Have won the Herald/Sun Shield last 5 or 6 years.

TigerForce said:
I reckon no team will bid for the risk of dropping a rung on the draft list tonight. Huge loopholes in this system.
Yer, another botch by the AFL most likely. But the advantage in bidding seems to only push back their later bids, which seems useless because a) It's reportedly a shallow draft so who cares about bids beyond the late 40s and b) How in hell can you predict what might be still available then anyway (so very doubtful for strategic use!!) c) It will be totally random by then you'd think, with probably lots of unused bids.

So should Melbourne clubs develop their own academies, perhaps based on the old Zone areas of VFL days, when RFC had Mildura area (picked up the likes of General Mark Lee and Flea Weightman)? Certainly Eddie hates this system which seems to give the Northern state clubs some privileges not allowed under the prior Draft rules. Points system introduced to balance it, but does it work?