Draft prospects 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft prospects 2019

I'm not a fan of taking mid sized defenders in the top 30. They just don't seem to work out well. Its a funny range that 190-192cm types that don't play mid. Not tall enough for key position, not quick enough in most cases and don't win enough ball in other cases.
Perfect example Jake Batchelor.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not a fan of taking mid sized defenders in the top 30. They just don't seem to work out well. Its a funny range that 190-192cm types that don't play mid. Not tall enough for key position, not quick enough in most cases and don't win enough ball in other cases.

Generally agree but Vlastuin is noted exception

Reactions: 1 user
Vlastuin is 187cm.
Not considered mid sized. Think the conversation was leaning towards the 190-193cm defender

Absolutely, they are a strange fit. Grimes fits in that and is one that worked out very well, and hence why he can play on both talls and smalls. Its a very specific athletic profile you need for this role and that's the problem. You are not quite tall enough to really compete well enough with the tallest forwards, so you have to be super athletic, you then also need to be quick in order to keep up with the small forwards.

Finally and probably most importantly, footy IQ needs to be high as you are not specifically suited for either role. Its a very hard grouping to get right IMO. I haven't seen Will Gould play but I'd steer away unless he is sensational.

I haven't seen Will Gould play but I'd steer away unless he is sensational.

me either, but I'm imagining a sort of a mobile Augustus Gloop/Lunch Whitnell/Stewie Dew type?

I reckon our policy has been taking the smartest Richmond man footballer available with our picks.

for 5 years, we went solid citizens, then we went 5 years of speed and X factor

maybe we go back to a few solid citizens?

Without having seen any tapes, the Larked Medallist, lunchmeat Robertson, would seem to fit that bill and reads like a bit of a Richmond Man?

on Vlastuin vs Gould, its worth noting that Flossy is an odd fit. Not super fast, nor tall. But supreme reading of the flight of the ball. high footy IQ as other posters have said.
that's the only way a Gould type makes it.
He seems more like a Shannon Turn type.
still a pass from me

Last edited:
I think Rantall has to be around the mark for our first or second pick. Endurance beast who wins his own ball. Also has mainly played basketball until this year.

Without having seen any tapes, the Larked Medallist, lunchmeat Robertson, would seem to fit that bill and reads like a bit of a Richmond Man?
seems that lunchmeat will be gone before our pick.
likely 10-15.

It’s the first year in a very long time I really don’t care about the draft.
We should package up our picks 19,37,38 & 39
And get 7 picks after 50.
We get quality our kids (Ross,Graham, Broad) with late picks or through the rookie draft
We got Castagnafield as a rookie.
Let’s not turn up draft night, just get ready for the preseason draft and mid season draft.

We don't take anyone from geelong falcons. Who was our last player we picked in the draft that came from Geelong falcons.

De Koning is around the mark at our pick. Raw but has a bit, brother coming on nicely at Cartoon.

I like Worrell but suspect he goes before our pick.

Worrell is the one I have as our ideal fit. Legit can play at both ends and can run. Better athlete than say Oscar Allen but not as powerful.

I had a quick read on the potential top 20 and I’ll be pleased if we get WA captain Devon Robertson.

Think Deven Robertson will be gone as will Josh Worrell, going by BIO's only I'm with Smoking Aces and 'll put my hat in the ring for Cooper Stephens.

Cal Twomey has Deven Robertson going at 9
Roar pick 20
ESPN pick 14
Draft Central Power Ratings 19

Cal Twomey has Cooper Stephens @ 23
Roar Pick 25
ESPN Pick 20
Draft Central Power Ratings 25

at 195 and 74 Worrell is light. Similar to me at 18.
Will need time which we have

at 195 and 74 Worrell is light. Similar to me at 18.
Will need time which we have
Bloody hell, kid's a serious spindle shanks. If he'd been standing on the beach down Altona way yesterday he'd have ended up at the MotoGP before he landed the way the breeze was blowing yesterday.

• Haha
Draft central listed him as 193cm and 78kg and a bung shoulder. Another one with his own roll of gaffer tape before he even gets started.

Wonder where Cooper Stephens was ranked prior to breaking his leg?

Here is a piece on Cooper Stephens from AFL.com and within that article it addresses your question without addressing it :)

It's impossible to say where Stephens might currently sit in the draft's pecking order, had his season not ended abruptly in April. However, even despite that setback, the tough 188cm midfielder is still seen by a number of recruiters as a top-25 prospect.