Cricket | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Cricket

Amazing scorecard to wake up and read. ~50 run partnership with 8 down. We always seem on the other end of these super close chases harking back to the earliest one i can remember between Border and Thompson.

Reactions: 4 users
I see their coach reclining in the dressing room, chewing his *smile* gum. He annoys me because Bazball is essentially about removing the care from performance. It’s a cheap mental trick for a middling team in need of an excuse.

Sorry but thats complete crap. Its not about removing the care from the performance, its about embracing positives rather than weaknesses and allowing them to excel. As a fellow Tiger I thought you'd understand this, but maybe after all these years you still don't understand what made our premiership trio work. Its almost like they have approached cricket in the same way that the Tigers embraced footy in that they are going out there to enjoy themselves, play aggressively so they can dictate the speed of games and dictate field settings (thats aggression that the aussies have been doing for decades).

Its funny how so many aussies don't like bazball, but really all bazball is, is the english letting go of their normal reservations in cricket where we have always focused on "trying not to lose" and then failing, as opposed to the new mentality of "always try and win" and also sometimes failing. Failure will happen, its how you bounce back thats telling on your team.

Anyhow, this test was immense. How weird that after 18 years we get an almost identical test match, with obviously a very different finish to it.

Amazing and I hope the rest of the series is as enthralling as this one has been.

Well done to Cummins, he batted beautifully to finish the game off. I thought Englands plans with the new ball were a bit strange, we went too short and ultimately paid the price, but what a fantastic advertisement for test cricket this test has been. Both teams seem very equally matched and should be a great series. No idea which way it springs, it makes an England win really difficult from here on in, but winning is only part of the journey right :)

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Another example of why test cricket is the ultimate format of the game.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Reading up on bazball, personally I reckon Gilchrist invented it - to have an opener who changed the way a traditionally defensiveness mindset , wear them down Boycott style was turned upside down.

If you have attacking players, Warner in his prime, Ponting, Gichrist etc you just simply play to your strengths. At the moment the poms have some excellent aggressive strikers in their team so they throw the bat a bit more.

Still reckon this is a gimmick, can’t play T20 style over 5 days, there are times where you need to grind it out.

Great test and in hindsight, the poms lost it on day 1 when they declared their first innings.

Reactions: 1 users
the English cricket team remind me of Geelong ..

incredible win by the baggy green, and test cricket at it's finest..

Khawaja over 200 runs in total - he won it for us .. Cummins at the end and his bowling spell yesterday ..

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Sorry but thats complete crap. Its not about removing the care from the performance, its about embracing positives rather than weaknesses and allowing them to excel. As a fellow Tiger I thought you'd understand this, but maybe after all these years you still don't understand what made our premiership trio work. Its almost like they have approached cricket in the same way that the Tigers embraced footy in that they are going out there to enjoy themselves, play aggressively so they can dictate the speed of games and dictate field settings (thats aggression that the aussies have been doing for decades).

Its funny how so many aussies don't like bazball, but really all bazball is, is the english letting go of their normal reservations in cricket where we have always focused on "trying not to lose" and then failing, as opposed to the new mentality of "always try and win" and also sometimes failing. Failure will happen, its how you bounce back thats telling on your team.

Anyhow, this test was immense. How weird that after 18 years we get an almost identical test match, with obviously a very different finish to it.

Amazing and I hope the rest of the series is as enthralling as this one has been.

Well done to Cummins, he batted beautifully to finish the game off. I thought Englands plans with the new ball were a bit strange, we went too short and ultimately paid the price, but what a fantastic advertisement for test cricket this test has been. Both teams seem very equally matched and should be a great series. No idea which way it springs, it makes an England win really difficult from here on in, but winning is only part of the journey right :)

Fair. But I am irrational when it comes to the Poms. Love beating them, sorry Posh. That you should also know about me!

There are similarities with Richmond but in typical fashion the poms add a generous layer of smugness to it. We may have lost but we made the running. We declared early to set the game up. It was our aggressive approach that made the game.

Of course that’s what makes beating them so sweet, particularly in a close finish.

Reactions: 3 users
Bairstow and Robinson are crying in their weak cups of tea ..

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Reading up on bazball, personally I reckon Gilchrist invented it - to have an opener who changed the way a traditionally defensiveness mindset , wear them down Boycott style was turned upside down.

If you have attacking players, Warner in his prime, Ponting, Gichrist etc you just simply play to your strengths. At the moment the poms have some excellent aggressive strikers in their team so they throw the bat a bit more.

Still reckon this is a gimmick, can’t play T20 style over 5 days, there are times where you need to grind it out.

Great test and in hindsight, the poms lost it on day 1 when they declared their first innings.
Viv Richards was hooking off the front foot in the 70s and 80s. Calypso cricket was the first I can remember. Attacking cricket is fantastic but declaring at 8 down with an in form batsman at the crease on day 1 was pretty odd (to be kind).

Reactions: 8 users
I was nervously waking up every hour between 11:30pm-3:30am to check the scores. Each hour seemed to involve 20 runs off the total and a wicket or two.

At 8fer I decided the game was gone and finally got 2 hours of solid sleep. Checking the scores at 5am I was confused when it said we were still 8fer. Thought the scores were frozen, then thought it must have been rained out and didn't twig that 282 runs was a winning score.

Disappointed to miss a big finish but had quite the grin walking to work at 7am

Reactions: 2 users
Viv Richards was hooking off the front foot in the 70s and 80s. Calypso cricket was the first I can remember. Attacking cricket is fantastic but declaring at 8 down with an in form batsman at the crease on day 1 was pretty odd (to be kind).

Thats fair. Ultimately that declaration (which I think surprised everyone except Baz and Stokes) probably cost England the loss. Sure they were trying to push a finish, but it was Day 1. I'd maybe get it if it was a 3rd innings declaration but it was Day 1. I think in some ways, the take up of "bazball" is almost a self fullfilling prophecy and in some ways Stokes think she needs to be aggressive with everything that he was doing. I get that they wanted a few overs at the aussies, and if they'd taken a wicket or 2 then we'd probably look at it differently, but it was 4 overs. It was a high risk strategy, they could have let Root know, we will declare overnight and to go the tonk. Could have added 40-50 runs in that short period if he went the tonk (or got out and they would have been forced to bat anyway).

Miraculous. I have no words.

Very bad result for England because they can only fall back on the “but aren’t we entertaining?” once or twice.

If Australia wins the second test and the home Ashes starts to slip away for all their fans, McCullum’s cavalier “revolution” starts to wear thin.

I see their coach reclining in the dressing room, chewing his *smile* gum. He annoys me because Bazball is essentially about removing the care from performance. It’s a cheap mental trick for a middling team in need of an excuse.

And the Aussies? We played tight in that test. All care and no freedom. But with the first win on the board we’ll hit Lords with murderous intent.

Also, we have the advantage of just needing a series draw.

England lost more with this result than we would have.
Disagree with all that. Stokes spoke superbly after the loss. Lack of care? Na, it's basically playing to win, at all times risking a loss.

That's such a petty take on their approach and the match itself. Cheap mental trick? It's refreshing and brilliant.

I am wrapt we won but so glad to see the back of the pre-bazzball poms.

There was much mutual respect after the game. Kudos to both teams.

Reactions: 4 users

Michael Slater was the first aggressive opener, changed the game. And before that the Windies changed it more broadly as said, Bazball isn't new, aspects of it have been around since the 70s, but having it consistently and openly front and centre is new.

I think the Poms will find an equilibrium with it, we've already seen it holstered a few times during the glorious first test. Lost last 2 real tests after first innings declarations.

A lovely highlight from this win was Ollie Robinson's face when Cummo hit the winning runs. Sweet as a nut!

Reactions: 5 users
There are similarities with Richmond but in typical fashion the poms add a generous layer of smugness to it. We may have lost but we made the running. We declared early to set the game up. It was our aggressive approach that made the game.

Of course that’s what makes beating them so sweet, particularly in a close finish.
What smugness? I bet opposition supporters same the same things about the tigers when we were dominating. How many opposition supporters and commentators love watching us struggle now? Why?

Love the poms approach. There is nothing better than beating them but to somehow call it a lack of care or one-trick style is foolish. It's brilliant and has rejuvanated interest in test cricket. That match would not have had that conclusion without the poms makling the running.

Last edited:

Won 11 of their last 13. A gimmick?

Wow there's a lot of ungenerous posters here. I love beating the poms but love the way they play the game. Not sure how you can embrace the Richmond man philosophy but not the English (bazzball) man?

Bazball has been a breath of fresh air for test cricket. England's not always going to win playing that more aggressive style, but it is way test cricket needs to be played.
I love cricket, especially test cricket, with the other formats of the game I feared that it might wither on the vine. After the thrilling results between England and New Zealand recently, and the way this Ashes series has started, i'm more confident now that test cricket has a future.

My one negative of this test was the wicket, i know the reason for it was because of Australia's bowling attack. Ironically if the wicket wasn't such a road, England may have had a better chance of bowling Australia out.

You're entitled to be proud mrposhman, as I know you are, well played England.

Reactions: 2 users