Clarkson threads [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Clarkson threads [Merged]

Re: Clarkson gets Hawks job

Alistair who ??????

What a joke !!!!   No wonder they want the spoon next year.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Can someone please fill me in. Who is he? Where was he coaching before? I know nothing about him....in fact I hadn't even heard of him until Fox Sports told me between sets that he had been appointed. I apologise in advance for my naivete!!!

He was just an average player at North and Melbourne who never stood out.

tigerjoe said:
Hawthorn's No1 choice is Leigh Matthews.
His contract has 2 years to go at Brisbane.
Nothing is surer than Clarkson lasting only 2 years and the Hawks luring Matthews back to Hawthorn at the end of 2006.

so hawthorn is doing a richmond and waiting for their messiah to return? i hope they don't hope as long as richmond has with sheedy...

but clarkson was a good decision. anyone is better than ayres

Sounds like there was concern they may actually win a few games next year if they keep McDonald.

Who actually looked like he could coach.

Good luck Clakson you cheeky little *smile* of a bloke

Good coach. Coached Central Districts to consecutive flags and then went back to Melbourne to an assistant coaching role after his terms erent met in regards to time out for SA state side captaincy. IS a good coach though, they could have done a lot worse.

i heard alistair clarkson's first appontment at hawthorn is greg beck as new recruiting manager :p

who's going to donate to the 2007 SAVE OUR HAWKS campaign ?

Now that Alastair has been appointed it makes a mockery out of the crap that was coming out of Hawthorn about the best possible coach for the HFC. Like they didn't want Wallace...nooooo. Even Schwab said that he was sacked because they were making a big play for Wallace.
I am not saying this guy can't coach but his appointment is hardly awe inspiring. If he has success they will say they knew he was fantastic all along. It will just be good luck if it works out. Any one of those candidates would have probably been ok.

I aggree with you stripes.

Thats Dermie for you, so full of it, cant believe the guy can talk so much dribble.

Dis anyone see Steve Quartermains reaction when asked about the appointement on the Channel 10s news-Amazing!!-one of the highlights of the TV year-he may have been caught off guard but I seriously doubt it-obviously not a Clarson fan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love a $ for everytime I've heard - "they've appointed WHO???". I can just see the marketing guys shaking. Not exactly a house hold name, and based on what Schitzo Scott has been saying, it's going to be a bloody good watch to see his reaction. Great idea for a new reality tv comedy.

At this moment the Dawks website is unavailable - might be melt down over Clarkson's appointment!

And I only wanted to see what they were saying about their new coach!

Actually, after the announcement was made yesterday, there were many very happy Hawthorn supporters.

Some wanted Wallace as he had experience, but his asking price was too much.  Hawthorn were not prepared to take the punt on a five year contract. 

Anyways, I was hoping perhaps Gary Lyon, but it wasnt to be.But I am feeling very happy and very excited about next year.

Alastair spoke very well at the press conference, as well as on SEN and Sport 927.  His policies are what we, as supporters are begging for.

NO TRADING OF DRAFT PICKS!!  woohoo we were all terrified.
A strict youth policy - we were totally celebrating
Discipline - Well *smile*, havent had much of that
Media work - isnt impressed with Crawford on Bulger MD and conflict of interest with board members  (we get that distinct impression)  Players are going to be clamped down on and not given much scope to carry on like dickheads.

All in all, I am very happy.  We needed to steer away from Wallace and Eade and Ayres as they are Hawthorn people.  In fact I havent felt this good about Hawthorn in quite a while and to be honest, it is a relief.

He is untried, he is a risk and a gamble.  Being a premiership coach doesnt get instant results.   But he has mongrel.  And that is what we need.  He also referred to Hawthorn as "we" and "us" 30 seconds after being offered the job. :)

We are prepared to be patient as Clarkson's ideals and philosophies are identical to what we are crying out for.

Jacqui said:
All in all, I am very happy.  We needed to steer away from Wallace and Eade and Ayres as they are Hawthorn people.  In fact I havent felt this good about Hawthorn in quite a while and to be honest, it is a relief.

Poor poor delusional Jacqui.....I almost feel pity for Hawthorn supporters at the moment....almost!  What you need to realise is that Clarkson is simply an interim measure until another HAWTHORN PERSON is ready to return from sunny Queensland!

Why can't people just count our own blessings without needing to put others down.
There's no guarantee that Terry will be more successful than Alastair and he comes with a fat 5 year contract into the bargain.
It will be interesting to compare the fortunes in 5 years time.
I hope we're the ones laughing and I'm glad of our situation but there are certainly no guarantees.
Go Terry...but good luck to Alastair.

Not sour grapes at all.

I will admit, I was very keen on Wallace coming to Hawthorn. However after having supported the club for 18 years, would of been angry if we had of paid through the nose for him. We dont have any debt, but our profits this year will be significantly lower and membership will be down for 2005 you would imagine and we simply couldnt afford Terry Wallace.

Look, in all honesty, I am very excited about Clarkson joining. I was hoping he would get the job when he was first interviewed. He is enthusiastic, young and has the mongrel in him.

I guess we shall see in a year's time..............