Changes v Hawks | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes v Hawks

Carter said:
Righto so now that BoM have improved their forecast ;D you wonder why we're going in with just the two KPFs.

The extra mid could be to help win stoppages. I still think we're gonna press hard, try and beat Hawthorn at their own game.

Very, very hard to do.
Still in EMG and could be late change. I would've tried Beano tonight as a 3rd tall and to decoy Jack. Let's hope we have the players to kick goals (and accurately) otherwise this could be our first thrashing in a while.

Carter said:
Side selected for wind and rain.

As much as I hate to say it, three talls might be fanciful at the G.

Vickery will relieve Ivan in the ruck.

I think we'll play a high press like we did last week.

Territory football is effective in the wet.

We can knock over this mob.

Yes. I am also confident.
Don't know if that is a good thing or not.
In our favour is that we are the underdogs and usually put up a performance when we're not expected to win.
I think we are still inconsistent though and even inconsistent within games. The St.Kilda game an example.
A first quarter tonight like against the Dockers in WA would be nice. Or even better like the first quarter against North Melbourne in 1995.

Carter said:
Side selected for wind and rain.

As much as I hate to say it, three talls might be fanciful at the G.

Vickery will relieve Ivan in the ruck.

I think we'll play a high press like we did last week.

Territory football is effective in the wet.

We can knock over this mob.
And if the forecast winds up being dry then we have named McBean as an emergency. Always time for someone to have an 'injury' until just before the game.

69 vintage said:
Hard to follow Hardwick's selection policy he's wanted to play 3 talls all year in the forward line and when he gets the opportunity he brings inConca who had 28 possessions last week in a ordinary effort a lot of junk sideways kicks He has a major flaw going back to his soccer days he always looks sideways or backwards where he gets the ball

If you watch the modern game you might notice that teams often go backwards and sideways when they want to switch play. And yeah, this comes from soccer (and other sports) in terms of tempo and transitional styles. Gung ho attack football doesn't work all the time any more.

In other words go backwards and sideways if it retains possession and opens a chance for attack elsewhere. Bombing it long to a contest is worse unless you it's a one on one your teammate can win.

tigerlove said:
And he'll be given a chance against a much more appropriate option than Hawthorn. But let's be honest, without Reiwoldt, our 3-pronged tall forward line would be crap. A few times this year the 3rd tall has been a passenger. Our success has not been our firepower kicking goals but our excellent defence. We havent kicked 100 points since Round 7 and that was 105 and the only 100+ when playing 3 talls. We're 13th for average goals kicked per game this year.

True TL, but we've got a really high ratio of points to goals kicked too. Now maybe some of this comes down to "game style" in the F50, but our main disfunction seems to be goal shootin' inaccuracy.

I'm OK with the decision to leave Beano out against the Hawkers, but needs a chance soon. I'm surprised but pleased Conca gets a run - can add a lot of value I reckon. I just hope the medicos are happy that he's not at serious risk of re-injury.

Whispers that Jarryd Roughead or Jack Gunston might be a late withdrawal as James Sicily has been included as an emergency.

I couldn't be less confident. Hawthorn are playing some of the best footy of the decade right now. Our only hope is that they're complacent, which is highly unlikely.

At our best we can beat them. If we're not switched on it will be tough as they're also chasing their top 2 finish. They have something to play for.

antman said:
If you watch the modern game you might notice that teams often go backwards and sideways when they want to switch play. And yeah, this comes from soccer (and other sports) in terms of tempo and transitional styles. Gung ho attack football doesn't work all the time any more.

In other words go backwards and sideways if it retains possession and opens a chance for attack elsewhere. Bombing it long to a contest is worse unless you it's a one on one your teammate can win.

We will learn a lot about the Tigers on the big stage tonight, one way or another.

Can't wait.

Baloo said:
At our best we can beat them. If we're not switched on it will be tough as they're also chasing their top 2 finish. They have something to play for.

Agreed Balooga, id be more optimistic if it was the Hawks sitting in top spot 2 games clear.

They want and need a top 2 finish and the Tiggies are standing in the way of that.

The Hawks recent form of flexing against fellow top 8 sides and the fact they are chasing a top 2 spot makes me think that the Hawks will be up for this and have targeted the Tiges to make another statement.

Stylo said:
I couldn't be less confident. Hawthorn are playing some of the best footy of the decade right now.
It's true.

You never know though I suppose. We are playing our best footy in a decade as well.
last week we were bookie favourites to beat the top side who have only lost twice this season, one of the times to us. That hasn't happened for at least a decade.

I think the most important thing tonight is that we don't let Clarkson have too many unmanned sweepers. We have been vulnerable to the that tactic all season (although Beavis to his credit hasn't fallen for it so often recently)

Stylo said:
I couldn't be less confident. Hawthorn are playing some of the best footy of the decade right now. Our only hope is that they're complacent, which is highly unlikely.

It would be a massive win. Though we do love playing against the odds.

Cmon Vickery LIFT 3 disposals and 1 tap out for a half is poor get involved FFS