Changes For Next Week, round 18 against Gee Whiz | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes For Next Week, round 18 against Gee Whiz

Biggest worrry for me with ins and outs again is the fact these Cubs just don’t do enough to lock down their spot in the 22 .

Though a lot of our Premiership players are not anywhere near the best , they have still contributed more then these Cubs this season , I’d definitely like to see more of the Cubs , however I don’t mind Yze is not gifting games to them , in saying that the 23 he’s put out all year hasn’t worked so it may well be time to start dropping some of our old stars .

I’ll be shocked if Green is not the sub and not for the first time this season we’ve brought a cub in, who’s in form and then they warm the pine for a couple of weeks and then back to the magoos .

Would love to see something different from the coaches box this week , facts are same old ain’t getting the job done

I would have liked to see a senior player other than Pickett or KMac get dropped to show we are serious. I was disappointed Dimma never did it and Yze seems to have been soft here. Graham Short a couple of likely candidates.

Reactions: 1 user
If Balta went back then one of Blight or Miller was going to be dropped. It makes sense for it to be Blight. This way it also gives him the chance to qualify for the VFL team, if they make finals and that will be a good experience for him. Be interesting to see what happens next year if Gibcus, Lefau and even Gray and Fawcett are fit and available to play.

Reactions: 1 users
My thoughts FWIW:

- the KPI is no longer to win games necessarily (wins are good but setting up structure, skill and draft selections moving forward is now the key priority).
-........ as such rotating players between AFL and VFL has merit
- ensuring we meet eligibility criteria for VFL finals has merit
- moving Balta between FWD and BACK has merit so that structure and selections can be evaluated prior to the off season (Balta has already said previously that he plays where he can best help the team. TBH I think he is best BACK and if we can find/develop a few forwards then he should stay BACK)
- this week ins/outs give us another chance to really see how we are faring (with structure, game plan and player development
- 2024 is over and a (any!) win is always great - but I (personally) am looking to the CLUB to build the next Premiership window starting now

Go TIGES!

So if he has moved Balta back because it allows him to try different players in different positions then what was the point of drafting Blight in the MSD. Blight will get more out of playing the rest of the year in the AFL then being dropped to be eligible for the VFL if they play finals. Are we trying to produce VFL or AFL players? I'm confused. Blight isn't an 18 year old kid that still needs physical development. Blight is a mature age recruit that needs AFL exposure pronto to fast track his experience. If we were looking at finals then fine, pick the side you believe will win you a game. We are in the ideal position to gift some games till the year is out to see what some might show.
Just seems things are changing week by week not by design and structure but by desperation to look like we are doing something.
I see West Coast immediately dropped the likes of Darling as soon as the coach was gone. We seem to want to play the nice guys and gift senior bludgers a free ride.

So if he has moved Balta back because it allows him to try different players in different positions then what was the point of drafting Blight in the MSD. Blight will get more out of playing the rest of the year in the AFL then being dropped to be eligible for the VFL if they play finals. Are we trying to produce VFL or AFL players? I'm confused. Blight isn't an 18 year old kid that still needs physical development. Blight is a mature age recruit that needs AFL exposure pronto to fast track his experience. If we were looking at finals then fine, pick the side you believe will win you a game. We are in the ideal position to gift some games till the year is out to see what some might show.
Just seems things are changing week by week not by design and structure but by desperation to look like we are doing something.
I see West Coast immediately dropped the likes of Darling as soon as the coach was gone. We seem to want to play the nice guys and gift senior bludgers a free ride.
Only two minor issues with pumping AFL games into Blight. One, he hasn't yet done an AFL level pre season so match fitness an issue.
Two, he's played bugger all footy with his team mates. VFL goes at a lower intensity and pressure to AFL. Far to easy to bury the bloke under unnecessary load before he gets properly started.
We've seen he can play VFL n we've seen he's got enough to work with at AFL but there's still heaps he needs to become competent. So why not let him develop properly over a summer pre season.

He gets pilloried here for moving him and for not moving him.

I think most of us agree his best position is back and also that we are massively lacking as a team in key forwards. So you can criticise or praise either approach.

It’s no surprise some posters harp on the negative and others on the team balance.

Some criticise blight getting dropped and also criticise why he hasn’t moved Balta back.
Whatever decision Yze wants to make on Balta, constantly switching him back and forward is the worst one.

Whatever decision Yze wants to make on Balta, constantly switching him back and forward is the worst one.

Don't disagree that is the worst decision for Balta but is driven by (the clubs view of what is the) best decision for team I imagine.
Pretty sure he got quoted as saying he wishes he had two of him.

Don't disagree that is the worst decision for Balta but is driven by (the clubs view of what is the) best decision for team I imagine.
Pretty sure he got quoted as saying he wishes he had two of him.
For a coach supposedly taking a long term view, that seems very short sighted.

Reactions: 1 user