Can't see any promising signs | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Can't see any promising signs

Ian4 said:
sometimes you have to scratch your head at the negative media bullcrap. we have 2-3 injury concerns and its like the world is about to end... while the haters are already we are saying we're stuffed. its only round 1 this week FFS.

I agree Ian4.

Threads with this title annoy me too because of its negativity.

I’ve started the last 35 seasons full of positivity but after the diabolical disappointment of the last 3 seasons for my own sanity I thought I’d try something different and temper my expectations right from the start – that way the only way is up.

The most glaring deficiency that we need to address is in the big man department and I cannot see how we can fix this quickly with our current list.

That said we should smash Carlton this week – although I’d like to know the stats on how many poor teams win their first game under a new coach.

My coping strategy for this season is to hope for the best but expect the worst ….. and hope I’m proved wrong.

TigerTribe5 said:
I’ve started the last 35 seasons full of positivity but after the diabolical disappointment of the last 3 seasons for my own sanity I thought I’d try something different and temper my expectations right from the start – that way the only way is up.

The most glaring deficiency that we need to address is in the big man department and I cannot see how we can fix this quickly with our current list.

That said we should smash Carlton this week – although I’d like to know the stats on how many poor teams win their first game under a new coach.

My coping strategy for this season is to hope for the best but expect the worst ….. and hope I’m proved wrong.
You're pretty late to the party, which is no surprise given you've been delusional for the best part of 4 decades. I have been going with the Zero Expectation Strategy (ZES) since I was about 14 (1985), and thus far it has served me well. Careful though, this strategy can backfire. My mental impression of how bad it can get has often been proven to be outrageously optimistic. Anyway, it's an odd time to decide that NOW is the time to temper expectations, but I wish you well with it. I think we'll go alright this year, as we have the past few.

Right then - ZES it is!

And I'll watch out for backfires (particularly pertinent around Lygon St I would think).

We'll see how accurate this thread is over the first few weeks. With all of the injuries, I'm very dubious bout how well our year is going to go. I can see us being 1-7 quite easily (I hope we don't of course) but it's looking like one of those years where everything just goes wrong from the start and never recovers.

Going to need some young guys to step up, and players like Cotchin to display why they were rated so highly when they were drafted. Big year coming up. Are we for real?

Yes, it is a BIG year about to unfold.
Are the Tigers for real? I just have to believe and hope, more of the latter if I am to be honest, that they find the key to winning in all sorts of circumstances and game situations.

Ian4 said:
sometimes you have to scratch your head at the negative media bullcrap. we have 2-3 injury concerns and its like the world is about to end... while the haters are already we are saying we're stuffed. its only round 1 this week FFS.

Yep - if we can't cope with a few injuries we don't deserve anything anyway.

Ian4 said:

Does my head in I4.

I love going to the footy. Winning is fantastic, making the finals is very satisfying. The last time we won I final I was ecstatic.

But if we lose, ah well thats just the way footy goes. Don't see the comfort in tearing strips of the club.

Until the season is a mathematical bust, then saddle up for next week. Then the next season.

Hate seems like a empty waste of space.

Everyone saying 'it was just NAB cup, wait for the real stuff', last night was the real stuff and it was worrying...

wayne said:
Everyone saying 'it was just NAB cup, wait for the real stuff', last night was the real stuff and it was worrying...

Nah Carlton aren't the real stuff, wait for the real stuff.

We wouldn't want to be waiting til midway through the 2nd Q R7 to play decent football in 2016. Could be 1-6.

Lloyd and Lambert - won the game for us. Must play Lloyd consistently; he is deadly from limited opportunities. That's a small forward for you.

I hope they stay in for an extended period and neither is dropped for next week.

Others should go before those three .

Next week will be a test but they gotta play! But I'm sure that won't be the case!

leon said:
Lloyd and Lambert - won the game for us. Must play Lloyd consistently; he is deadly from limited opportunities. That's a small forward for you.

I suppose Rance being the only consistent player over the whole 4 quarters had anything to do with it?

Carlton would have won by 5 goals if his experience hadn't continually got to where their inexperienced players were bombing the ball.

A few of our inexperienced guys did ok but we had nothing like the excitement of the game plan of our opponents - just the same old same old.......

David C said:
I suppose Rance being the only consistent player over the whole 4 quarters had anything to do with it?

Of course Rance is a critical cog, but when the game was there to be won, you can't deny that Lambert and Lloyd stepped it up a notch and were instrumental in pulling us over the line. I see that as an immense positive as this time last year you wouldn't have marked either of these guys as bonafide top 22. Only 1 game into the season but one positive to take out of a pretty poor game by the Tigers.