Blair Hartley | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Blair Hartley

Lidsand

Chimp Mail - Delivering Since 2007
Oct 12, 2005
Melbourne
last year we were tough inside and won a lot of clearances and contested footy but lacked some outside run and didn't spread from a contest anywhere near as well as we should and this was identified by the list manager and coaches so went and recruited grigg and houli as we all know

5 rounds in houli and grigg are 1 and 2 at RFC for marks which indicates they are doing their job perfectly and providing exactly what they were brought to the club to do

well done

Not surprised with the rumour about Trengrove, especially with Hartley previously being with Port. I reckon the developing backs with Astbury and Batchelor will be okay. The glaring issue is the ruck and a mobile one at that.

he wont be cheap but could be worth it

just a smokey but what about brendon goddard? i would ask about him

LidsBling&Cotch said:
last year we were tough inside and won a lot of clearances and contested footy but lacked some outside run and didn't spread from a contest anywhere near as well as we should and this was identified by the list manager and coaches so went and recruited grigg and houli as we all know

5 rounds in houli and grigg are 1 and 2 at RFC for marks which indicates they are doing their job perfectly and providing exactly what they were brought to the club to do

well done

Yep, the quality of Houli's recent game was great leap forward and Grigg has been good from Day1 no matter the competition - the next few weeks should be interesting.

If we are chasing a ruckman who isn't getting games or a good opportunity, what about Brad Moran, Zac Clarke, Jarrad Redden or Daniel Currie? I know they are unproven but they are still all young enough and would be cheap.

If it's a more experienced ruck we are after, what about Hamish McIntosh?? With Goldstein coming through and Petrie back, would he be happy staying at North as a 2nd ruck??

Me too LBC, but I was more looking at options that Blair has been looking at for us, ie. players who aren't getting a good opportunity or players who would see greater roles with us.

skiptomystu said:
Me too LBC, but I was more looking at options that Blair has been looking at for us, ie. players who aren't getting a good opportunity or players who would see greater roles with us.

following that model is better because you wont have to pay anywhere near as much for them as you would a young gun who is playing everyweek. so yes mcintosh would be a good one and of the others you mentioned i dont like moran and dont know about the others but i'm sure blair does.

LidsBling&Cotch said:
i'd prefer we spoke to zac smith and threw the sink at him. he is gonna be a freak

Be really surprised if he left Queensland. Money talks I guess, but GC will have deep pockets for a while.

Not sure how Daniel Currie is progressing this season, but he did always seem a possibility - his brother (I think) played at Coburg.

The more I think about it the more someone like McIntosh makes sense.

Wouldn't be cheap obviously but providing he passed all the medical requirements he'd be a perfect fit for us I reckon.

Unsure what a potential deal would look like but we do have the Tambling pick up our sleeves....North would want more than that though.

skiptomystu said:
If we are chasing a ruckman who isn't getting games or a good opportunity, what about Brad Moran, Zac Clarke, Jarrad Redden or Daniel Currie? I know they are unproven but they are still all young enough and would be cheap.

If it's a more experienced ruck we are after, what about Hamish McIntosh?? With Goldstein coming through and Petrie back, would he be happy staying at North as a 2nd ruck??

I like Zac Clarke alot.

But we do have Graham, Vickery, Browne & Derrickx already on the list, and all of them improving.

Phantom said:
I like Zac Clarke alot.

But we do have Graham, Vickery, Browne & Derrickx already on the list, and all of them improving.

No doubt, but I think it couldn't hurt to get a more mature ruckman into the side, as I just can't see Graham or Browne becoming a premiership team standard ruckman. Derickx will be interesting but the odds would surely be stacked against him, and Vickery I think is best used as a Key Forward/2nd ruck/pinch hitter.

If McIntosh was to become a Tiger, I'd be looking to palm off Graham somewhere.

skiptomystu said:
No doubt, but I think it couldn't hurt to get a more mature ruckman into the side, as I just can't see Graham or Browne becoming a premiership team standard ruckman.

Was there a time you thought that about Jolly when he was at Melbourne, or what about Lade early on, or what about Campbell stuggling along at the Hawks.................all were ordinary once and never seen as premiership ruckman by opposition supporters, let alone their own.

If we were ready-ish now, yep McIntosh would be a good go - but 3-5 years?

Good point.

Don't know much about Lade early on but Jolly was always pretty highly rated....even when he was traded by Melbourne to Sydney I think he went at a pretty decent price. Point taken about Campbell too, although all those players in their prime would be better than what Gus reaches in his prime IMO.

I know that's forecasting a fair bit, but that's just my opinion. I don't feel confident that Graham will ever be a number one ruck in a premiership contending side.

Tony Braxton-Hicks said:
There are sure to be some disgruntled Port players, and Blair and Lade would be well placed to make a call on them.

Nice call TBH.....................Rodan, Schulz, Meyer perhaps......oops forgot

Wouldn't mind getting Trengove from Port. But I think he will cost too much. Judging by how much Port supporters rate him, even though he has only played 20 games, he won't come cheaply. I'm not prepared to part with our first rounder for him.

Would love to get any of Smith, Toy, or Matera from Gold coast.

Unlikely to get Smith, but is going to be such a good player.

Matera: Unlikely to come to Vic, think he came from WA. The guy oozes class. I think he will be a Lecras type player but much better IMO.

Toy: From Vic if i'm not mistaken. Desperately need more quality defenders. Going to be a great player. Would give up our first rounder for him if the opportunity arose.

I'm still keen on Toy. I think Toy would be the key to releasing Deledio back into the middle for sure with Batchelor already back there. Don't know how we would get this over the line though.

I don't really get the McIntosh argument. We are talking about a bloke who can't get a game in the bottom side. How will this improve us?

I don't think Angus will be our next premiership ruckman either, but does anybody really think McIntosh would be.
I would certainly be disappointed to give away a high draft pick for him, particularly the Tambo comp pick.

tbartiger said:
I don't really get the McIntosh argument. We are talking about a bloke who can't get a game in the bottom side. How will this improve us?

I don't think Angus will be our next premiership ruckman either, but does anybody really think McIntosh would be.
I would certainly be disappointed to give away a high draft pick for him, particularly the Tambo comp pick.

Agree with the sentiments, but McIntosh is injured. Achilles I believe?