Beating North melbourne | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Beating North melbourne

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
This is interesting because

1. Haven't beaten them in 5 games
2. We could be playing them twice in a row including a final

If North rest guys, who do you hope they leave out?
Who do we match up on?
What team changes?
How do we get the kangaroo hoodoo off our back?

This "We're no good against team x because we haven't beaten them in our last n meetings" is a load of rubbish.

You play a given team once, maybe twice, a year, with months apart. Much changes in between.

We've beaten Hawthorn 3-1 in our last four meetings ... does that make us favourites next time?
We haven't beaten Melbourne for three years. Does anyone seriously think they'd get within 10 goals of us if we played them tomorrow?

Meaningless.

Can see the headline already.

"Toothless tigers sink to new lows, mauled in third straight final, losing to a side they masacred the week before...."

The reality is, if north rest players this week (and they will tank knowing otherwise they fly to Adelaide), we will effectively be playing two completely different north melb sides from one week to the other. Winning this week doesnt get the hoodoo off our back, and would give us a false sense of confidence, as we would have played a side that would be under-strength, and (lets be frank here) a side that isnt really trying to get the four points.

Grimes chaplin Houli
Batch Rance Hunt
Mcintosh Grigg lennon
Deledio Vickery martin
Edwards Riewoldt lloyd
Maric Cotch miles
Vlastuin Newy B Ellis Lambert

In Cotch, out Thomas

The Tigers will just have to play and play well whatever team the Roos put out. If we are good enough and win on Friday we get the Dogs in the preilms which to my mind is preferable

I'm confident our current squad don't give a *smile* about Hoo doos and boogie teams. North is just another team we need to step on as we march towards the big dance.

23.21.159 said:
This "We're no good against team x because we haven't beaten them in our last n meetings" is a load of rubbish.

You play a given team once, maybe twice, a year, with months apart. Much changes in between.

We've beaten Hawthorn 3-1 in our last four meetings ... does that make us favourites next time?
We haven't beaten Melbourne for three years. Does anyone seriously think they'd get within 10 goals of us if we played them tomorrow?

Meaningless.
Spot on. Look at the losses.
R24, 2011 - had it shot to *smile* before stopping in the last 10 minutes. If we won we would have finished 9th and ruined our draft position by 3 spots - no Brando. We didn't care about that game, I remember thinking it at the time.
R17, 2012 - lost by 4 points. Bad kicking, horrible umpiring and Petrie dominating Rance in the last. We were better than them, but as we did back then, we lost.
The last three losses they've sat back and picked off our turnovers. We don't turn it over like that any more.

I think this week's game will be closer than next week's. And we'll win them both.

spook said:
Spot on. Look at the losses.
R24, 2011 - had it shot to sh!t before stopping in the last 10 minutes. If we won we would have finished 9th and ruined our draft position by 3 spots - no Brando. We didn't care about that game, I remember thinking it at the time.
R17, 2012 - lost by 4 points. Bad kicking, horrible umpiring and Petrie dominating Rance in the last. We were better than them, but as we did back then, we lost.
The last three losses they've sat back and picked off our turnovers. We don't turn it over like that any more.

I think this week's game will be closer than next week's. And we'll win them both.
I'm with you spook. It doesn't matter who they rest and who they play, when you're no good, you're no good. I hope they buy into their own press, because when they do that they usually come a cropper.

North v top 8 teams at Etihad

R5
10.10.70 v Hawks 19.16.130. LOSS

R11
10.15.75 v Swans 14.7.91. LOSS

R21
14.10.94 v Freo 12.11.83. WON

R22
10.13.73 v Bulldogs 14.12.96 LOSS

NORTH V top 8 teams everywhere else

R1 Adelaide
9.9.63 v Adel 21.14.140. LOSS

R6 Hobart
16.13. 109 v Richmond 10.14.74. WIN

R8 Perth
5.12.42 v Freo 17.13.115 LOSS

R10 Hobart
13.7.85 v WCE 10.15.75. WIN

Dimma summed it up in his dissection clip. We have played ok V north but been let down by some very bad patches that have cost us many goals. I think this team now has been able to play below average and not hemorrhage goals. We have has goal less or low scores quarters but restricted the opposition to minimal scores.

For some reason when north get a roll, they seem to pile 4-5-6-7 goals to nil quickly and kill off the game. This has to stop on Friday, not just the back 6 but the mids have to put enormous pressure to deny their forwards easy shots at goal.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

SEN 1116 ‏@SENNews 34s34 seconds ago

BREAKING | North Melbourne says it will consider resting 8-10 players against Richmond, with fatigue and injury the club's main concern
9:45 AM - 3 Sep 2015 · Details

I reckon North aren't that interested in winning Friday.

They will err on the side of conservatism re resting injured fatigued players - I reckon they will have 4 changes and have a regular starter as sub.

They will do very little opposition analysis this week, even not target our weaknesses.

Senior players that do play will take it easy on defensive pressure, to save their legs for next week.

They will not declare their hand this week.

So, I predict a win this week.

Week 1 finals, at the MCG, will be an entirely different proposition. They will be a significantly better side in Week 1 finals.

Modify: Just saw the immediate post above and also see the AFL have approved it. Adelaide won't be happy.

Tiger Pops said:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

SEN 1116 ‏@SENNews 34s34 seconds ago

BREAKING | North Melbourne says it will consider resting 8-10 players against Richmond, with fatigue and injury the club's main concern
9:45 AM - 3 Sep 2015 · Details

We would want to win then.

On paper we look the better team but in reality, that hasn't been the case.

Stop North utilising the spare to create run from the back half and you beat them. They have killed us on the turnover and the overlap, we just have to limit their opportunities.

If we bring our high pressure game we win imo.

Ice said:
Modify: Just saw the immediate post above and also see the AFL have approved it. Adelaide won't be happy.

So much for the AFL enforcing that new rule. There is a clear difference between Freo and Norf but really either is tanking, no different from doing it at the other end of the ladder.

Bellerive Hobart
North go alright at Hobart, or the opposition doesn't.
But that's where they've kicked a respectable brace of goals and won the games v us and WCE.
They did the same to st Kilda.

3/3 overall in Tas.
Take out Tasmania and they are 10-8 overall.

Etihad
where we play them tomorrow night.
Good teams keep North to around 10 goals at Docklands.
However a couple of weeks ago Freo let them go and they kicked 14.
By the way: freo have won just once against a top 8 team since round 9. Richmond at the MCG.

So at Etihad, North are 1 from 4 against top 8 but 6/10 overall against the whole comp.

Interstate (except Tas)
Got belted (totally flogged) by Suns, Freo and Adelaide.
They defeated Brisbane and GWS.

Top 8
They've won 3 from 8.
1/5 away from Hobart which was Freo at Etihad.

Bottom 10
Won 10 out of 13.
Lost to Power, Collingwood and the GC Suns.

Points For

On Crownbet, which does the odds on the AFL website, Tigers are $1.14 and Roos $5.75.

Punters assuming North will rest players. Odds way out of whack otherwise.

Geez, Adelaide would be spewing if North does rest players.