Basketball | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Basketball

Agree on all points Mycotch.

GIDDEY. EXUM. GREEN. COOKS. LANDALE
DANIELS. MILLS. MCVEIGH. REATH
GOULDING. THYBULLE. MAGNAY.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Bugger. Boys U/17 team lost to Italy in overtime in the first round of the knockout stage. Undefeated until then. Loaded with talent this team. Dyson Daniels brother Dash lead the Crocs but had an up and down tournament. Dash got absolutely hammered by the Italians and the refs choked on their whistles. Others tthat look to have a bright future include Cotton, Kuany, Akhuar and Nyuon.

Another Aussie Changing Teams Joe Ingles reported move to the Minnesota Timberwolves on a one-year deal.

Reactions: 1 users
Went to the Boomers V China match last night, and IMO there's some ridiculous selection decisions for the final team.

Cooks brings energy and rebounds, same as McVeigh. Goulding played just over a quarter and nearly top scored.

Jingles, Kay and sad to say Mills are finished. We're not winning any medals either way, but nostalgia has no part in team selection.

Watched Giddey closely, and controversial take, but I can't see what all the hype is about. Slow, can't shoot particularly well, can't defend particularly well. Decent rebounder. We looked better when Exum and even Delly ran the point .

Went to the Boomers V China match last night, and IMO there's some ridiculous selection decisions for the final team.

Cooks brings energy and rebounds, same as McVeigh. Goulding played just over a quarter and nearly top scored.

Jingles, Kay and sad to say Mills are finished. We're not winning any medals either way, but nostalgia has no part in team selection.

Watched Giddey closely, and controversial take, but I can't see what all the hype is about. Slow, can't shoot particularly well, can't defend particularly well. Decent rebounder. We looked better when Exum and even Delly ran the point .

Wow a couple of surprises there.
No Goulding or Thybulle.
Kay??
Geez that is a disappointing team. In a few ways.

Mills looks to be in a shooting slump of significant proportion. Goulding in red hot form and has been all NBL season. I've had doubts about Goulding before but lately I've been convinced his previous contributions were mismanaged and his role too meagre. And whilst I had Mills in before this series against China - you just can't ignore form.

Ingles has failed that many times on the international stage it's not funny. To give him yet another opportunity is plainly the coach favouring his spoilt child.

Thybulle is a situational necessity. He can change the course of games.

Funnily - I really liked what Delly did against China. But against bigger, faster American and Euro guys he will fail. Plus with Giddey and Exum - and to some extent Daniels (don't really trust him yet to shoot or to set up) on the team - he's unnecessary.

I was in two minds Cooks or Kay. But it seems like Kay can now consistently nail a three. Cooks is slightly a better defender and offensive rebounder - but it's marginal. I don't mind that choice.

I like Magnay as a backup big and McVeigh gets his chance.

Still think Galloway and Travers should have had a chance to earn a spot.

Wow a couple of surprises there.
No Goulding or Thybulle.
Kay??
Can't say I'm loving those selections... again!

Reckon Goulding hasn't had a decent shot, but when he does get some minutes he goes well!

Cooks IMO has been one of our best. Always good energy and finds ways to score. Would have him in over Kay or Ingles

On Ingles... what has he done? Went to a couple of games last year (I think), and he really brought very little to the team.

Mills. Really love what Patty has done for Australian basketball over the years, but he just doesn't have it any more. Have him as an assistant coach, not a player.

Maybe not a terrible line-up, but IMO far far far from our best, and so bloody short!

Prediction. The Boomers to do little at the Olympics, getting outmuscled and out-planned by everyone else.

Oh yeah, I think our offensive and defensive structures suck. The Boomer's style of bball is borderline dogshit when compared to so many others.

In case you missed it, I'm pretty disappointed in the past few years of Aussie basketball, really feels like we have been left behind; and that is at all levels and both mens and womens.

To cheers myself up, I went and had a look at what the Thunder have been up to this off-season.

Gotta say, it is looking mighty good!!!

Those that have been added vs those who have left... The Thunder is definitely a noticeably better team already.

1720160841128.png

Geez that is a disappointing team. In a few ways.

Mills looks to be in a shooting slump of significant proportion. Goulding in red hot form and has been all NBL season. I've had doubts about Goulding before but lately I've been convinced his previous contributions were mismanaged and his role too meagre. And whilst I had Mills in before this series against China - you just can't ignore form.

Ingles has failed that many times on the international stage it's not funny. To give him yet another opportunity is plainly the coach favouring his spoilt child.

Thybulle is a situational necessity. He can change the course of games.

Funnily - I really liked what Delly did against China. But against bigger, faster American and Euro guys he will fail. Plus with Giddey and Exum - and to some extent Daniels (don't really trust him yet to shoot or to set up) on the team - he's unnecessary.

I was in two minds Cooks or Kay. But it seems like Kay can now consistently nail a three. Cooks is slightly a better defender and offensive rebounder - but it's marginal. I don't mind that choice.

I like Magnay as a backup big and McVeigh gets his chance.

Still think Galloway and Travers should have had a chance to earn a spot.
Yeah, Magnay had to be included I agree. Reath headbutts a guy in a practice match and if Landale gets injured then we need the insurance.

I have no idea how Kay is nailing those 3's. Just a horrible shooting action, real Shai goal kicking vibes.

I thought our only (albeit very minor) chance of going ok was to play manic defence and shoot the lights out.

And we left a gun defender Thybulle, an athletic freak Cooks and our most pure flame thrower shooter CG at home.

Baffling.

Flat

Yeah, Magnay had to be included I agree. Reath headbutts a guy in a practice match and if Landale gets injured then we need the insurance.

I have no idea how Kay is nailing those 3's. Just a horrible shooting action, real Shai goal kicking vibes.

I thought our only (albeit very minor) chance of going ok was to play manic defence and shoot the lights out.

And we left a gun defender Thybulle, an athletic freak Cooks and our most pure flame thrower shooter CG at home.

Baffling.

Flat

Can't say I'm loving those selections... again!

Reckon Goulding hasn't had a decent shot, but when he does get some minutes he goes well!

Cooks IMO has been one of our best. Always good energy and finds ways to score. Would have him in over Kay or Ingles

On Ingles... what has he done? Went to a couple of games last year (I think), and he really brought very little to the team.

Mills. Really love what Patty has done for Australian basketball over the years, but he just doesn't have it any more. Have him as an assistant coach, not a player.

Maybe not a terrible line-up, but IMO far far far from our best, and so bloody short!

Prediction. The Boomers to do little at the Olympics, getting outmuscled and out-planned by everyone else.

Oh yeah, I think our offensive and defensive structures suck. The Boomer's style of bball is borderline dogshit when compared to so many others.

In case you missed it, I'm pretty disappointed in the past few years of Aussie basketball, really feels like we have been left behind; and that is at all levels and both mens and womens.
We really are in the worst of a transition phase from old to young right now. My eyes are firmly focused on LA and more significantly Brisbane. Gold medal games between Australia and France at both will make you guys feel better.

To cheers myself up, I went and had a look at what the Thunder have been up to this off-season.

Gotta say, it is looking mighty good!!!

Those that have been added vs those who have left... The Thunder is definitely a noticeably better team already.

View attachment 23324
With those moves I reckon the Thunder are a firm second favorite for the title. All bases covered. Caruso and Hartenstein are exactly the additions this team needed to genuinely contend. Very astute list management. And they still have a gazillion first round picks in their pocket.

After missing the quarter finals of the U/17 World Championships the boys have had a bad loss to France in the consolation round. Understandable to have a letdown like this after giving up the game so badly against Italy in the previous round.

European teams at this age have an enormous advantage over our guys due to the high level of competition their national teams get to play at regularly. It flattens out over time as our juniors become adults and they get to ply their trade professionally around the world. But for our juniors getting exposure to top competition is a rarity. We don't lack talent at that level - just the benefits and seasoning that high level competition provides.

It would be like asking an U/18 footy team that trains only amongst itself all season to come along to the finals and win against the top crop of teams that have been competing against each other all year. I think it would be very similar for our junior soccer teams.

I'm very disappointed for them.

Last edited: