Atheism | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Atheism

Panthera tigris FC said:
Harry said:
When I state "theory of evolution" I am using it in the context of creation. ie creation just eveolved.

Yes I know life forms have evolved and that this has been proven, but how did creation evolve?

Evolution has nothing to do with abiogenesis. The theories of evolution work on life and don't inform us (directly) on the origin of that life.

OK - the theory of creation then. The theory of how the beginning began, how gases or whatever was floating around before the "big bang" appeared or how they evolved and how what was there bofore it got there.

See the point is, there is no begining (and there'll be no end), and as long as "theories" came up they will always raise the same question over again.

It's like the question why. You can ask that question over and over again to any answer given. Infinite.

Science cannot and will not ever explain creation.

So to this end Christianity has just as much a claim in knowing the answer as science has.

Disco08 said:
Harry said:
Right now? We will never know. What plausible explanation can someone down the track come up with? There is none and our kind will never know.

Come on. Look at the leaps made in the last few decades. You can't predict what will and won't be possible in the future.

Impossible task.

Harry said:
OK - the theory of creation then. The theory of how the beginning began, how gases or whatever was floating around before the "big bang" appeared or how they evolved and how what was there bofore it got there.

See the point is, there is no begining (and there'll be no end), and as long as "theories" came up they will always raise the same question over again.

It's like the question why. You can ask that question over and over again to any answer given. Infinite.

So to this end Christianity has just as much a claim in knowing the answer as science has.

The difference is that science is probing these questions without invoking supernatural explanations.

Harry said:
Disco08 said:
Harry said:
Right now? We will never know. What plausible explanation can someone down the track come up with? There is none and our kind will never know.

Come on. Look at the leaps made in the last few decades. You can't predict what will and won't be possible in the future.

Impossible task.

Why don't you go and tell some of the greatest minds in physics that they are wasting their time.

Panthera tigris FC said:
Where did I put that "argument from personal incredulity" emoticon???

images

Panthera tigris FC said:
Harry said:

The difference is that science is probing these questions without invoking supernatural explanations.

They can probe all they like.

What if someone invents a time machine? They could go back 5 billions years for a look around.

Panthera tigris FC said:
Harry said:
Disco08 said:
Harry said:

Impossible task.

Why don't you go and tell some of the greatest minds in physics that they are wasting their time.

If they don't realise that it's an impossible task themselves then they're really not great minds. It's a job and they obviously enjoy what they are doing and good luck to them. People before them have baffled with this question and people after them will too. Part of life I suppose.

Disco08 said:
What if someone invents a time machine? They could go back 5 billions years for a look around.

Now you're talking. But all jokes aside, this would be the only way possible.

As time passes the further we get from the truth.

I don't see how not knowing the answer to one question in any way devalues the other theories of science though Harry.

Disco08 said:
I don't see how not knowing the answer to one question in any way devalues the other theories of science though Harry.

I'm not devaluing the theory of science. Science and God can co-exist. I'm not a firm believer either way. But I can't see how atheists can be so sure there is no God, just because there is no evidence, when atheists can't come up with an answer to the biggest and oldest question of all - creation.

Some atheists claim the universe itself is infinite. There's not much difference between that and claiming that an infinite God created it is there? In facts it's basically the same theory without the superfluous god.

Disco08 said:
Some atheists claim the universe itself is infinite. There's not much difference between that and claiming that an infinite God created it is there? In facts it's basically the same theory without the superfluous god.

Well something, someone must be responsible for creation. We need to get to the bottom of this.

If something is infinite, then it can't have been created. So you see the christian theory is bogus on that account also because they claim god to be infinite.

Harry said:
Disco08 said:

Well something, someone must be responsible for creation. We need to get to the bottom of this.

I reckon we just need 5-10 more posts and all will be made clear.