Atheism | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Atheism

Six Pack said:
The thing that bewilders me is why we think we should be different from other life forms, animals and plants etc. Why should we get dealt the afterlife card and not them? It's an overinflated perception of who we really are.

What? You think heaven is a minimalist contruct with white walls only? If it does exist, wouldn't an ideal paradise have plants and animals in it, and where the heck you think these come from :D

Yes Jay, I am still campaigning against your denial of Puppy Heaven!!!

antman said:
Good point jayfox. Every day I see animals (in particular penguins - not sure why) having drunken, drugged out orgies that are very careless causing harm to penguin relationships and chicks.

Clearly we should be above such animalistic behaviour.

I'm being flippant of course but it's a feature of Christian theology that bad things are "animalistic" and that God gave us souls and free-will and this places us above animals. In fact animals are never cruel - they act out of necessity to survive. We also don't often see animals taking drugs, having illicit sex etc etc.

It does demonstrate how out of date Christian theology is relative to actual scientific knowledge about animal behaviour.
What a load of crap that is. "animals are never cruel - they act out of necessity to survive." Tell that to my cat who plays with a bird or mouse for an hour, tossing it around at will and pretending to let it escape before finally putting it out of it's misery, but not eating it. I reckon the bird would think that the cat is pretty cruel for treating it like that.

Secondly, how do you know what the psychology of animal relationships is, or if they are even capable of feeling the same kinds of betrayal etc. that a human spouse might feel. And there are plenty of examples in the animal world of what we might call 'illicit' or promiscuous sex.

Six Pack said:
yes, of course people have differing realities. but mine is no god, no afterlife, born, live and then die.

My point was a reaction to your statment that for you 'beyond our lives is random'.

Everything we perceive is part of ourselves, so your 'beyond our lives' can't exist, because as soon as you've formulated the idea it is part of you and is encapsulated in your universe. No thing that you can envisage is beyond your existence.

This 'beyond our lives' then isn't random because it's been formulated as part of your own thought process/emotional perception and has that as it's own internal logic.

Tiger74 said:
What? You think heaven is a minimalist contruct with white walls only?
I guess if i could furnish myself and put in a little Zen garden outside,that would be ok.

jayfox said:
What a load of crap that is. "animals are never cruel - they act out of necessity to survive." Tell that to my cat who plays with a bird or mouse for an hour, tossing it around at will and pretending to let it escape before finally putting it out of it's misery, but not eating it. I reckon the bird would think that the cat is pretty cruel for treating it like that.

I could tell it to your cat but as the cat is not human, doesn't understand speech (or the concept of cruelty) I'd be wasting my time and the cat's. Seeing animals as evil, cruel or whatever is simple anthropomorphism (projecting human qualities onto animals).

I am really challenging your "we are above the animals" - it's part of Christian theology I know, but to use a phrase of yours, "what a lot of crap".

Secondly, how do you know what the psychology of animal relationships is, or if they are even capable of feeling the same kinds of betrayal etc. that a human spouse might feel. And there are plenty of examples in the animal world of what we might call 'illicit' or promiscuous sex.

I understand enough to know that it is meaningless to try to label animal behaviours as being cruel, evil, illicit, promiscuous which are concepts relating to human behaviour.

Six Pack said:
yes, of course people have differing realities. but mine is no god, no afterlife, born, live and then die.

The scientist in me bridles at that suggestion. There IS an objective reality, and those of us significantly out of step with it are certified insane ;D.

I also believe that part of objective reality is the concept of a self-existant God - the initiator, creator and sustainer of this universe. Materialist scientists, who go no further than the evidence, have realised the universe must have a beginning, but refuse to speculate further. I believe it is both scientifically reasonable and nessecary to postulate a sufficient cause for the universe. Start from this point and you quickly deduce a Judeo-Christian concept of God.

This means that a supernatural IS objective reality and undergirds the universe. As evidence for this I would cite the numerous supernatural occurances and experiences of people recorded through the centuries.

The Bible is a record of divine history and records the dealings of men with God. Much of it is written in a factual style and can be checked against historical and archaeological records. Can I prove it is the word of God? No, but I would expect that our creator would communicate with us and I believe the the Bible has a good chance of being those communications.

Jesus and the New Testament is the full revelation of God to man. It contains the overlapping testimony of four separate eyewitnesses to the events in question as well as numerous checkable references to historical events. No serious modern scholar doubts the veracity of these documents and that they were written relatively soon after the events described. Jesus life is also described by a number of contemporary secular writings.

In all of the above I have used no faith! BUT DONT BELIEVE ME FOR A SECOND go check this for yourself!!

Do you believe that every word in every sentence in every verse of the bible to be true and the word of god, DJ?

Djevv said:
The scientist in me bridles at that suggestion. There IS an objective reality, and those of us significantly out of step with it are certified insane ;D.
There is no such thing as an 'objective reality'.To humans it can only ever be subjective.We are limited by the senses.

There is a 'Reality', but discovering what this is is fairly illusive-especially for you mere scientists. ;D

I also believe that part of objective reality is the concept of a self-existant God- the initiator, creator and sustainer of this universe.
As soon as you say 'I' believe, it's no long objectively speaking, is it.You've introduced the subject to the object(Reality).

Furthermore the fact that sixpack has no God in his reality,but you do, further shows the subjectiveness.You can't both be right 'objectively'

Materialist scientists, who go no further than the evidence, have realised the universe must have a beginning,
They might be able to say potentially there is "a beginning',but if the're materialists they won't be able to say they've witnessed 'the begining'

Where's the first cause?

but refuse to speculate further.
Thank God for that.Best to leave it to the philosophers (IMO of course). ;D

I believe it is both scientifically reasonable and nessecary to postulate a sufficient cause for the universe. Start from this point and you quickly deduce a Judeo-Christian concept of God.
meh

This means that a supernatural IS objective reality and undergirds the universe.
Hogwash.Talk about a non sequiter.Just because you believe doesn't mean it follows there is one.

As evidence for this I would cite the numerous supernatural occurances and experiences of people recorded through the centuries.
Yikes.

The Bible is a record of divine history and records the dealings of men with God. Much of it is written in a factual style and can be checked against historical and archaeological records. Can I prove it is the word of God? No, but I would expect that our creator would communicate with us and I believe the the Bible has a good chance of being those communications.

Jesus and the New Testament is the full revelation of God to man. It contains the overlapping testimony of four separate eyewitnesses to the events in question as well as numerous checkable references to historical events. No serious modern scholar doubts the veracity of these documents and that they were written relatively soon after the events described. Jesus life is also described by a number of contemporary secular writings.

In all of the above I have used no faith! BUT DONT BELIEVE ME FOR A SECOND go check this for yourself!!
I checked.No evidence.Just some nice iron age stories. :)

antman said:
I could tell it to your cat but as the cat is not human, doesn't understand speech (or the concept of cruelty) I'd be wasting my time and the cat's. Seeing animals as evil, cruel or whatever is simple anthropomorphism (projecting human qualities onto animals).

I am really challenging your "we are above the animals" - it's part of Christian theology I know, but to use a phrase of yours, "what a lot of crap".

I understand enough to know that it is meaningless to try to label animal behaviours as being cruel, evil, illicit, promiscuous which are concepts relating to human behaviour.

I never said the cat was evil, only cruel, which you stated that they never are. I disagree. I don't know how you can think otherwise with the situation I just gave you. Obviously the cat is less aware of the affects of his behaviour on the bird or mouse than we are but that does not mean that his behaviour is not cruel to that creature.

evo said:

Where there's smoke theres fire! Certainly many stories of supernatural occurances are dodgy, but are you sure they all are? There have been scientific studies of NDEs. Remember, if theres a supernatural, theres a God.

evo said:
I checked.No evidence.Just some nice iron age stories. :)

And Bronze age ones!

But you might need to dig a little deeper than WIKI ;).

Six Pack said:
Do you believe that every word in every sentence in every verse of the bible to be true and the word of god, DJ?

In regards to faith and practice and telling us everything required to know God and be saved, yes!

Disco08 said:
Some other bits not so much?
The 'word of God' is exactly that, what God would have us know of Himself. What he would speak to us.

However, if you try and take the written material out of it's context and cultural setting then you are asking for trouble. It doesn't claim to be a science or History textbook, in the modern sense, although it is accurate where this is required for God's purposes to be fulfilled.