Atheism | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Atheism

evo said:
Who is science?

Who's measuring?

Do trees even exist?

keep thinking..... ;D

:spin

There are answers to all these questions in a literal sense.

evo said:
[ I think all people(scientists,theists,laypeople) should consider more closely a question that has become a cliche these days but is a very handy pointer to Reality in my view.

the riddle If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? has many connotations most people haven't considered.Answer the question to that and you're well on your way.

PS. i'm not telling you the answer. ;D
Do I detect 'political correctness' here ? ;D...................geez what a habit.

My answer to your riddle? is yes it does make a sound but no one heard it.

No,I know the answer.

Check 'em out,if i had to choose a religion I'd go the Dervish.

Surely that could get you closer to god than eating a couple of wafers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2AI8r4q8V8

evo said:
Panthera tigris FC said:
There is no 'why' to life, there is a 'how' though and our scant knowledge in the origins in this area leaves it open to the omnipresent 'god of the gaps'. I am not trying to answer the 'why', just pointing out that a lack of positive evidence in one area provides no evidence for a competing explanation that lacks its own evidence. A false dichotomy is constantly being constructed by creationists to argue for the existence of their god. I just point that out.
A ok, fair enough.I may have ascribed to you something you weren't trying to achieve.I'm glad then you see it this way,you're right.

Penrose et al are trying to consider the 'why'.They should stick to what the're best at in my view,science.It's no small thing to answer the 'how'.

As to the limitations of our understanding, of course we are limited by our own subjective experience and, of course, we will never know everything . We can take conscious steps to control for our subjective experience and gain a little more insight into the world around us and a better picture of the objective reality. The scientific process has been more successful than any other in this respect even with its inherent limitations.
There is no 'objective reality' (I declare loftily)-only the subjective.

I think all people(scientists,theists,laypeople) should consider more closely a question that has become a cliche these days but is a very handy pointer to Reality in my view.

the riddle If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? has many connotations most people haven't considered.Answer the question to that and you're well on your way.

PS. i'm not telling you the answer. ;D

Are you alluding to the notion that nothing is 'real' unless observed?

Trees do fall in forests, that has been observed. I can chop a tree down and it will fall. In both cases a sound is generated. We have an understanding of how sound is generated. Thus, I can safely predict that a tree that falls in a forest will make a sound.

If you came across a fallen tree, would you assume that it had made a sound upon falling?

Panthera tigris FC said:

Trees do fall in forests, that has been observed. I can chop a tree down and it will fall. In both cases a sound is generated. We have an understanding of how sound is generated. Thus, I can safely predict that a tree that falls in a forest will make a sound.

If you came across a fallen tree, would you assume that it had made a sound upon falling?

it's called 'impact'.

Disco08 said:
OK cool. Well then, do trees really exist?
it's no use asking me,it's a question for yourself.

Even if i tell you the answer it won't mean anything to YOU.

The only way that I can fathom that they (and everything else) don't exist is if my entire life is a hallucination. That seems a pretty far fetched notion though so I find answering the question quite easy.

Panthera tigris FC said:
I'm not alluding to anything.

i'm saying if you want to understand reality and you can answer that question logically then you are well on your way. :)

It's a hard question and takes alot of thought(and probably some reading),but it can be answered.

evo said:
Panthera tigris FC said:
I'm not alluding to anything.

i'm saying if you want to understand reality and you can answer that question logically then you are well on your way. :)

It's a hard question and takes alot of thought(and probably some reading),but it can be answered.

Now we are having fun ;D.

Any suggested reading material?

Panthera tigris FC said:
Any suggested reading material?
I reckon if you read this and understood most of it you could work it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Western_Philosophy_%28Russell%29

A bit of Buddhas work wouldn't hurt either.

evo said:

What is reality, Evo?

In the attitude of silence the soul finds the path in a clearer light, and what is elusive and deceptive resolves itself into crystal clearness. Our life is a long and arduous quest after Truth.

Mahatma Gandhi