Atheism | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Atheism

So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence.

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.

Berty is already paying off Duckman and the book hasn't even arrived yet.

hes' a bit of dud actually(IMO) but writes well about other peoples ideas. ;D

Have to admit I'm struggling with the reasoning behind the second one but it seemed relevant to the earlier question.

Hes saying much the same as what i said earlier attributed to Dennet.

it's all about working out the right questions to ask,and how to to ask them.

No, it's both.

In fact it's philosophy of mind as well.

The're all related and important.

evo said:
the riddle If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? has many connotations most people haven't considered.Answer the question to that and you're well on your way.

I have obviously heard of this riddle but have never heard a definitive answer. My (partially-serious) take would be that just because previous 'observed' falling trees have made a noise how do we know that unobserved falling trees make a noise? Maybe they make that noise for our benefit? Maybe not every falling tree makes a noise, just the ones that have been observed thus far? ;) Anyway there is no way to prove whether it does make a noise or not, because no-one was there to hear that particular tree.

If you can presuppose the tree actually exists I think it's fair to presuppose it will act like other trees.

Disco08 said:
If you can presuppose the tree actually exists I think it's fair to presuppose it will act like other trees.

I thought that by the author making the statement "If a tree falls in the forest" we can conclude that there is in fact a tree? Unless the author was being symbolic....

The sun came up today, but I can't be sure it will rise tomorrow.

But i can be fairly sure.

I think philosophically (and I'm probably wrong) you can only conclude that the author presupposes that there is in fact a tree that truly exists.

Disco08 said:
I think philosophically (and I'm probably wrong) you can only conclude that the author presupposes that there is in fact a tree that truly exists.

it is for the reader to establish meaning. the author's presupposition is not relevant to the reader.

This is true.

And now for something completely different...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSY6N2MY6_E&mode=related&search=

Heres what the original atheist Buddha had to say on God........

Who is it that shapes our lives?
Is it Isvara, a personal creator?
If Isvara be the maker,
all living things should have to submit to their maker's power.
They would be like vessels formed by the potter's hand;
and if this were so, how would it be possible to practise virtue?

If the world had been made by Isvara
there should be no such thing as sorrow, or calamity, or evil;
for both pure and impure deeds must come from him.
If not, there would be another cause beside him,
and he would not be self-existent.
Thus, you see, the thought of Isvara is overthrown.

Again, it is said that the Absolute has created us.
But that which is absolute cannot be a cause.
All things around us come from a cause
as the plant comes from the seed;
but how can the Absolute be the cause of all things alike?
If it pervades them, then, certainly, it does not make them.

Evo, I have had a bit of trouble keeping up with all this cos it reminds a bit of first year uni, but how come we have two threads and they seem the same?

I'm finding it a bit disconcerting.

I'ts a bit like the last bit in 'Animal Farm:' u know the animals looked from pig to man then from pig to man again and already they couldn't tell which was which. or words to that effect.