Are There Too Many Risks Associated with Drafting Indigenous Footballers? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Are There Too Many Risks Associated with Drafting Indigenous Footballers?

HA HA HA

You bunch of cowards!

There is nothing racist in this thread.

It merely debates the recruiting considerations for people of Aboriginal descent/background.

Rosy - please be aware that censorship is every bit as incideous as racism!

The title of this thread is out and out racist in subject and tone. Who's kidding who. I would have thought even the least politically correct among us would cringe at asking such a blatantly hostile question.

FitenFitenWin said:
The title of this thread is out and out racist in subject and tone. Who's kidding who. I would have thought even the least politically correct among us would cringe at asking such a blatantly hostile question.

so how could it have been worded to suit.

its a topic and I am sure most people who like footy would probably agree that indegenous players require a differing way of handling.

this subject should be able to be discussed without being rascist.

a shame it can't be on here.

Rather than question whether the young aborigines are WORTH recruiting - perhaps a better question would be to ask - what are the difficulties that are particlar to aborigines in developing long term footballing careers? Are these different to young men from other cultures or backgrounds?

We have a great chance with the development of the Aboriginal Centre of Excellence (I'm sure that's not the officia title - but close enough) to be able to get some way to answering such questions. Wouldn't it be great to see RFC take a real lead in this matter and make a real difference.

One of the things I really like about aboriginal culture is the respect given to elders. Perhaps RFC could utilise this aspect and run a program of inviting elders from all over the country to have short term stays in Melbourne (Resident Elder Program?) to help our young reruits (and other aboriginal boys and girls) to understand their culture and identity and provide some of the leadership that underpins so much of Aboriginal society and that without causes so many problems. In the process learn, these elders could something of our ways to take back to their regions and 'mobs'.

Not exactly a PC discussion.

All people are individuals.

I was happy watching players like Rioli and Mitchell. Been a few other more than handy players at other clubs too.

Also people like Long have been good people in the community.

Tambling seems like he is a good person and someone for younger players to look up too.

U2Tigers said:
this subject should be able to be discussed without being rascist.

a shame it can't be on here.

It is a shame, and it's not because of over sensative politcally correct posters spoiling it for the rest.

It's because, bluntly put, some people are too stupid to handle such a topic without offending others.

Ask Benny Gale or Gary March to talk about this topic, and they'll give you a clear, respectful answer. Ask some of the posters on PRE, and you get blatant, if unintentional, racist remarks causing problems for the rest of us.

This topic can't be handled by the un-learned. Myself included, as I don't consider myself an expert in the field of aboriginal psychology (which is different to standard western psychology).

Hmm... gdog,

You've managed to connect to the internet.

Well that's a start :rofl

shamekha said:
this thread will lead us to becoming labeled a racist club

PLEASE DELETE IT.
yeah lets shuffle it under the carpet and pretend these problems dont exist. or throw in the old racist bug bear,

the claw said:
yeah lets shuffle it under the carpet and pretend these problems dont exist. or throw in the old racist bug bear,

The question is racist. There are matters within the broader issue (refer to my previous post) that are very worthy of discussion but this thread might as well be titled - are young aboriginal men worth bothering with.

I would ask the moderator to delete this thread and start a topic which discusses this issue respectfully.

Is it the black fella's fault that the white fella still doesn't want to know anything about the black fella? At least not giving them an AFL contract is better than a bullet in the back.

Dunno, Are Hawks a better team without Cyril and Buddy?

Was Geelong a better team without Polly?

Was North a better team without Cable?

Was Essendon a better team without Long and Wanganeen.

Was Richmond a better team without Maurice

Was West Coast a better team without Wirra and Peter Matera (and Sampi for Claw ;))

Are Swans a better team without Goodes?

Are Adelaide better team without Macleod?

etc etc etc

Very difficult question......................not!

Would we be all jumping up and down if the thread was titled
"Are Irish footballers worth recruiting?"
No!!!
thegdog's points are all relevent.
Your all too precious