2024 Training With The Ooze Crew | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Training With The Ooze Crew

Nah. Not from what I've seen at training over the summer and then winter. We had one gameplan over the pre-season which was predicated on one last push. That plan was closer to what we played under Dimma and Mini. We have changed up, measurably (in my view though it could be construed as just some significant tweaks), in the past couple of months and my take is we're now teaching the 2025 gameplan. It is different.

I find it interesting at times at training listening to how firm and direct the coaches are (given I'm told repeatedly on PRE how soft they are) and then watching which players lead drills, lead their teammates and help drive standards.
After watching the training, do you see much of these drills and following coaches directions translating onto the field of play?

After watching the training, do you see much of these drills and following coaches directions translating onto the field of play?
Yes, with a caveat. There's limited defense at training, though they changed the defensive setup today (that was an interesting twist on how they trained) so it's easier to execute without 18 defenders. So at the game I see the same set-up and then trying to run the same patterns. Does it always work, well obviously no.

But they do try on game day. I have the benefit of level 2 seating behind the goals and you can see the patterns being tried. I have commented a few times that we chose the wrong option or we zig when we should zag or our channels are too narrow on gameday etc. I see all of those areas being worked on at training with focus on where we "get it wrong" and then repeat drills on practising the "right way" to do it. There was some key focus on bits of that today.

Reactions: 28 users
Yes, with a caveat. There's limited defense at training, though they changed the defensive setup today (that was an interesting twist on how they trained) so it's easier to execute without 18 defenders. So at the game I see the same set-up and then trying to run the same patterns. Does it always work, well obviously no.

But they do try on game day. I have the benefit of level 2 seating behind the goals and you can see the patterns being tried. I have commented a few times that we chose the wrong option or we zig when we should zag or our channels are too narrow on gameday etc. I see all of those areas being worked on at training with focus on where we "get it wrong" and then repeat drills on practising the "right way" to do it. There was some key focus on bits of that today.
Outstanding insight, bravo.

Reactions: 8 users

Thanks for the insight. It sounds as though it is some inexperience when under pressure that is causing our problems. We will get there

Reactions: 1 user
Main Training Today:

Blight played back and Balta forward in what looked like the A team.

McAuliffe trained fully

Absent:
Marlion & Seth

A couple of battered bodies managed but don't look a concern
I'm sick of Balta getting moved around, just leave him back. The forward thing has never worked

Reactions: 3 users
I'm sick of Balta getting moved around, just leave him back. The forward thing has never worked
Miller is the issue in regard to this. He has been a big improver this season as a key back but for the last 2 games he can run in the ruck as second ruck as we dont have one.

Kos for now has to stay forward.

Balta at FB and Blight at CHB.

simple.

Reactions: 1 user