2024 - List Management | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 - List Management

The_General

Ancestors need to return to the PRE
Staff member
May 4, 2004
The intention of this thread is to discuss the list movements on/off the list, not so much who we'd trade for what player. There's plenty of discussion on that in other threads.
We need to get a better balanced list, as we're about to see a bunch of experienced players drop off over the next year or two.

HINT: If you quote this post, you should be able to modify the table. Alternatively you can make one in excel and paste into a reply.
Formatting of colors is then done via the icon in the post window which looks like a painters palette.

Position18-2223-2526-2828-3031+
Small BacksKaleb SmithLiam Baker
Daniel Rioli
Medium BacksTom BrownJayden ShortNathan Broad
James TreziseNick Vlaustin
Key BacksJacob BlightBen MillerDylan Grimes
Josh GibcusTylar Young
MidfieldersSam BanksJack RossJack GrahamKamdyn McIntoshMarlion Pickett
Thompson DowJacob HopperDion Prestia
Hugo RalphsmithTim Taranto
Kane McAuliffe
Tyler Sonsie
Small ForwardsSeth CampbellShai Bolton
Judson ClarkeMatt Coulthard
Steely GreenRyan Mansell
Maurice Rioli
Medium ForwardsNoah CumberlandDustin Martin
Tall ForwardsJacob BauerNoah BaltaMykelti LefauTom Lynch
Liam FawcettJacob Koschitzke
Campbell GraySamson Ryan
RucksMate Colina (Cat B)Toby NankervisSam Naismith
Oliver Hayes-Brown (Cat B)
Legend:
Orange = Out of contract as at 5/7/24
Age = As at 9/7/24

Given we're well and truly stinking it up and missing finals, here is my suggestion for overall list movements.
My goal will be to ensure we don't cut too many mature bodies, given the young folks are very inexperienced. We need someone to set standards around the club,
and to shield young bodies from too many injuries/fatigue. We need to try remain competitive, rather than get smashed like North and West Coast have been over
the last couple of years.

Outs:
Retirees: Grimes, Prestia, Naismith
Delisting: Cumberland, Dow, Coulthard, Colina (Cat B)
Tradeable: Martin, Baker, Graham (Also free agent),

Re-signing: Blight, Gray, Smith, M Rioli, Blight, Ross, McIntosh, Lefau, Ralphsmith, Green (Rookie), Hayes-Brown (Cat B)
Last Chance options: Pickett, Coulthard

Pickett I would likely consider signing as an inside mid insurance, assuming he doesn't get locked up. I think having him around the club helps our younger indigenous players as a mentor.
Coulthard, a 23yo small forward who's hit and miss at VFL level. I'm not sure how much scope he has at AFL level, and given the number of smalls competing for positions, I don't see him as a priority.

We have 21 currently potentially going. We're not going to get quality replacements for all of them in the draft or via free agency, so I wouldn't cut super hard this year, given we'll be crap next year too and will need some space to recruit in that draft. By retaining Pickett, we have 7 leaving the club via delisting or retirement, and 3 potentially leaving either via trade or free agency.

Baker is expendable, and we won't get better value for him right now.
Graham is injured too frequently, and taking a space we will need for a developing mid (McAuliffe for example).
Martin could return if he wants, but I don't know if he does. I'm not sure we'd get much of a return on field, but off field another 12 months of mentoring a Smilie or FOS, could be invaluable.

We also have 10 draft picks, which if we wanted to take into the draft, we have to have 10 spots on the main list, I believe before the draft night. Obviously we're hoping to scale back those numbers and move up in the draft, I think the best we could hope for with trades, is 5-6 in the top 30. Fingers crossed.

Net result: That's 10 off the list, including rookies/cat b prior to the draft night.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users
Small BacksKaleb Smith
Daniel Rioli
Key BacksJacob BlightBen Miller
Josh GibcusTylar Young
MidfieldersSam BanksJack RossTim TarantoKamdyn McIntoshMarlion Pickett
Tyler SonsieJacob Hopper
Hugo Ralphsmith
Kane McAuliffe
Judson ClarkeRyan Mansell
Steely Green
Maurice Rioli
Medium Forwards
Campbell GraySamson Ryan
RucksOliver Hayes-Brown (Cat B)Toby Nankervis
Legend:
Green = Rookie
Blue = Cat B
Age = As at 9/7/24

Where the above changes would leave us going into the draft

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Yze on 360 last night talked up how valuable Prestia & Lynch are to the young group.

Felt like he wanted Prestia to go on in 2025. I was shocked.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Yze on 360 last night talked up how valuable Prestia & Lynch are to the young group.

I heard the same. I felt the same. Prestia is cooked. I see no point.

Reactions: 4 users
The intention of this thread is to discuss the list movements on/off the list, not so much who we'd trade for what player. There's plenty of discussion on that in other threads.
We need to get a better balanced list, as we're about to see a bunch of experienced players drop off over the next year or two.

HINT: If you quote this post, you should be able to modify the table. Alternatively you can make one in excel and paste into a reply.
Formatting of colors is then done via the icon in the post window which looks like a painters palette.

Daniel Rioli
Josh GibcusTylar Young
Kane McAuliffe
Tyler Sonsie
Steely GreenRyan Mansell
Maurice Rioli
Campbell GraySamson Ryan
RucksMate ColinaToby NankervisSam Naismith
Oliver Hayes-Brown
Legend:
Age = As at 9/7/24

Given we're well and truly stinking it up and missing finals, here is my suggestion for overall list movements.
My goal will be to ensure we don't cut too many mature bodies, given the young folks are very inexperienced. We need someone to set standards around the club,
and to shield young bodies from too many injuries/fatigue. We need to try remain competitive, rather than get smashed like North and West Coast have been over

Outs:
Delisting: Colina, Cumberland, Dow, Coulthard

Re-signing: Blight, Gray, Hayes-Brown, Smith, M Rioli, Blight, Ross, McIntosh, Lefau, Ralphsmith, Green (Rookie)

Pickett I would likely consider signing as an inside mid insurance, assuming he doesn't get locked up. I think having him around the club helps our younger indigenous players as a mentor.
Coulthard, a 23yo small forward who's hit and miss at VFL level. I'm not sure how much scope he has at AFL level, and given the number of smalls competing for positions, I don't see him as a priority.

We have 21 currently potentially going. We're not going to get quality replacements for all of them in the draft or via free agency, so I wouldn't cut super hard this year, given we'll be crap next year too and will need some space to recruit in that draft. By retaining Pickett, we have 7 leaving the club via delisting or retirement, and 3 potentially leaving either via trade or free agency.

Graham is injured too frequently, and taking a space we will need for a developing mid (McAuliffe for example).
Martin could return if he wants, but I don't know if he does. I'm not sure we'd get much of a return on field, but off field another 12 months of mentoring a Smilie or FOS, could be invaluable.

We also have 10 draft picks, which if we wanted to take into the draft, we have to have 10 spots on the main list I believe before the draft night. Obviously we're hoping to scale back those numbers and move up in the draft, I think the best we could hope for with trades, is 5-6 in the top 30. Fingers crossed.

Net result: That's 10 off the list, including rookies prior to the draft night.

@taztiger4 and @mrposhman will know more.

But whilst we you have 10 off the list. You are also saying 10 draft picks.

Colina is a CatB rookie so no list spot = 9.

We also have 2 extra on the list from the mid-season draft i.e. Gray and Blight. If we keep them on.

And all you suggest go (which looks close to right, but time will tell) = 7 draft picks across national and rookie drafts.

@taztiger4 and @mrposhman will know more.

But whilst we you have 10 off the list. You are also saying 10 draft picks.

Colina is a CatB rookie so no list spot = 9.

We also have 2 extra on the list from the mid-season draft i.e. Gray and Blight. If we keep them on.

And all you suggest go (which looks close to right, but time will tell) = 7 draft picks across national and rookie drafts.
I'm suggesting of the 10 draft picks we have, we'll need to combine them to move up (unless the AFL Screw us), so probably made the point poorly, but I don't see us taking all 10.

We'd have 1 rookie spot and 1 Cat B spot available.
We could take 9 more, 1 of which I'm assuming would be the rookie, unless we promote a rookie like Young or Blight, to the main list.
That'd leave 8 draft picks if my math is correct.

Will tidy up the first post to capture the feedback.

Prestia could fulfil a super sub coaching role on the bench and with the young players coming in.
From what we have heard has coaching potential.

Reactions: 3 users
Prestia could fulfil a super sub coaching role on the bench and with the young players coming in.
From what we have heard has coaching potential.
Then get rid if Teague today and stick Prestia next to Yze.
Prestia can't play anymore. He has non stop broken down since 2022.
No chance he gets a contract

Reactions: 1 user
Essendon got that midfielder Caldwel off Gws. He was a top 10 pick
He is playing like a top 3 pick.
That's the types we need.
Any chance we get Durhum back. Yellow looks better then red.

I was just thinking this morning about these two players mentioned.
If looking for an absolute reason for our dramatic fall from grace it's been the unavailability of these two blue chip players in particular. So much talent sitting in the rehab room, so much money tied up.
Their losses due to injury have been huge.

PS: Great work General.

Reactions: 8 users
Essendon got that midfielder Caldwel off Gws. He was a top 10 pick
He is playing like a top 3 pick.
That's the types we need.
Any chance we get Durhum back. Yellow looks better then red.
Go check out who was a huge Caldwell fan. This guy. Steal for 29, 24 and getting Caldwell 44 and 74. Dodo got one right

That's the type we need from this draft.

good stuff General

Taranto and hopper will earn their money taking physical heat and bringing the next gen midfield forward.

Finn O'sullivan, jagga smith, sam lalor and Bo Allen (yes, if nor or WC fall for The Smilie, WC and Freo get in a bidding war over Bakes, we trade up for GCS first so they get Lombard cheap, we can have them all :oops: - I know, I know, that is a benny gale 3 and 75 statement)

turning over 8-10 for the next five years should be the aim.

im all for taking five mids, whom play 18's as mids, with our first five picks.

speed, agility, competitiveness, goals, ball use and durability being the premium.

start opportunistically collecting a surround of big tough flankers and wingmen beyond the 2nd round.

and use the rookie draft for ruckman.

patch lynchy up and pick up a CHF with first picks next few years

Reactions: 5 users
Then get rid if Teague today and stick Prestia next to Yze.
Prestia can't play anymore. He has non stop broken down since 2022.
No chance he gets a contract
Seems unlikely Prestia will play on next year and probably not in the Tigers interest for him to do so. Stats have dropped off this year. Has had a long history of injuries and many soft tissue lately. Played 8 games in 15, 14 in 16, 13 in 18, 9 in 20, 9 in 21 and 6 so far this year.

Can't he be valuable off-field as some sort of assistant?

Daniel Rioli
Josh GibcusTylar Young
Kane McAuliffe
Tyler Sonsie
Steely GreenRyan Mansell
Maurice Rioli
Campbell GraySamson Ryan
RucksMate Colina (Cat B)Toby NankervisSam Naismith
Oliver Hayes-Brown (Cat B)
Legend:
Age = As at 9/7/24

Outs:
Delisting: Cumberland, Dow, Coulthard, Colina (Cat B)

Re-signing: Blight, Gray, Smith, M Rioli, Blight, Ross, McIntosh, Lefau, Ralphsmith, Green (Rookie), Hayes-Brown (Cat B)

We also have 10 draft picks, which if we wanted to take into the draft, we have to have 10 spots on the main list, I believe before the draft night. Obviously we're hoping to scale back those numbers and move up in the draft, I think the best we could hope for with trades, is 5-6 in the top 30. Fingers crossed.

Net result: That's 10 off the list, including rookies/cat b prior to the draft night.

You have similar thoughts on the list as mine, but remember what the max list sizes are (as we are 2 over at the moment). Max list size (excl Cat B rookies) is 42, with any mix from 36 to 38 on the main list and the rest on the rookie list. I'm not too concerned who is on each list right now, is more a salary cap management exercise these days as you get the extra salary cap for each rookie that you fill.

Outs:
Delisting: Cumberland, Coulthard, Green
Tradeable: Martin, Baker. Graham, Short

Re-signing: Blight, Gray, M Rioli, Ross, McIntosh, Lefau, Ralphsmith, Hayes-Brown, Pickett
Unsure: Colina - can only replace with another Cat B anyway

As we are currently at 44 on our list without Cat B rookies, then we need to cut the 2 just to get to our base list size.
I've cut 6, which leaves us with 4 open list spots.

I suspect Baker will leave, I think Graham will follow him to West Coast. People won't be pleased with the comp as I can't see a way that WC give us Pick3. I've said on another thread I think it will be their 2nd pick in this and next years draft, possibly with something going back, but I think WC will also offer enough in the contract to Graham that would get us Band 3 compo (a 2nd round pick) rather than Band 4 or 5 compo (which if we finish last will basically be the same pick anyway).

Martin is an interesting one. I can't see whats in it for either him or the club to stay with Richmond next year, I can see him heading to the GCS and I think its going to be interesting if the AFL change the draft rules whereby you can trade for salary cap relief. If they do bring this in this year (and there is info out there that they are considering it and the clubs are wanting it), then I could see us trading Dusty to the Suns (rather than him leaving as a FA) along with some draft picks, and salary cap room (for at least half Dusty's salary) for 1 of their top picks. Ie. trade some 2025 picks, Dusty and salary cap room for say Pick 7. Everyone wins. Dusty will still get a good contract up there, the Tiges get a good draft pick for not losing as much draft capital in pick values, and the Suns get a marquee player to bring in significant revenue, essentially this is going to be more a commercial trade than onfield IMO and Dusty will be aware of that. It doesn't mean interviews, but press coverage, his face will be out there, even if he doesn't need to have his voice out there too.

We will still have enough draft capital I think to trade up for either Brisbane or Carltons 1st rounders, maybe even both.

I think our target needs to be 5 picks within 25, and then keep some late picks to match for Lockwood.

So if we traded those 3 out along with the delistings / retirements, we would have 7 open list spots. If we traded in someone from another club (like a Davies from the Suns), then we would either not renew Pickett or McIntosh, or someone else might be traded out, maybe someone like Short if someone was interested. Whilst he is good around the club, we really need to get our HB line refreshed up, either with Brown going into a more receiving role like Short has and distribute, or with Smith coming in.

Anyway, still 7 list spots.
5 on the 5 in 25, plus Lockwood and then save the last one for Davidson IMO.

Reactions: 2 users
Some times the numbers lie.
Fair few players named as kpf's. Take Lynch out, we really should be talking about him for several reasons not the least he is 32 this year and become injury prone..
Plus Balta who gives more as a forward than the rest, and actually plays in defense which may happen.

Imagine no Balta or Lynch which may not be that far away. Then of the ones that are left, they have done or shown very little at the level.

What an investment in quality, not one taken inside the top 40 with others taken in msd and rookie drafts.
The most promising one is already 26 had one year in the system and is coming off his second knee.

Hard to say it but the midfield stocks are diabolical.

Prestia will get another year because he is needed. Just how poor would this list of mids be if we had not traded for Taranto and to a lesser degree Hopper. Reckon we need to be smart and target a couple of mature mids in trade or free agency. It should not be hard to upgrade on a few of them.
Then hit the draft hard.

Im hoping we go all out and mainly target quality mids and tall forwards.

I would be okay if we cut Pickett 33, McIntosh 31 at the start of next year. because we have better long term options to try. Keep them and we rob kids games.

I know Short is contracted but he has to go. He offers no onfield leadership at all and again i prefere to see kids like Trezise and Smith get games in front of him. Who knows he may help us with trades.

I think Baker is as good as out the door should be a handy pick coming our way.

Graham offers nothing apart from a bit of experience would play McAuliffe in front of him any day next year.

Dow well he is a list clogger

Small forwards and Cumberland. Cumberland i feel its time to make a call. 24 at the start of next season thats long enough for me especially for his type and size.

Mansell lacks in too many areas and i dont think Coulthard has done enough to warrant his spot. As forwards i could also lump MRJ, Clarke and Campbell here. For me Campbell has shown some good signs and i think he will be a mid. Clarke has had injuries and im not sold on MRJ but one more year won't kill us.
It could be we are going hard for a small forward in years to come as we only have Bolton who has played the role to a consistent high standard.
The clock is ticking for the others.

Cat B Colina has to go. With OH-B, Ryan and Nankervis i think we can cut Naismith maybe draft an actual young ruckman to develop with him and Colina cut.

Tyler young would be good for our vfl team but imo he has become superfluous to needs and is another that could be looked at.

Teams in full on rebuild have regularly turned over 10 12 players sometimes more. Every year most clubs turn over around 8.

Prestia is a very smart football operator. Already does a lot of work with the younger players.

Reactions: 2 users
I think

- Baker leaves & we get a first rounder for him
- we trade a heap of late picks for a mid first rounder for one of the teams looking at a father son
- i don’t see a huge amount of other action on the trade front. Possibles would include

- Bolton, unlikely
- Dusty, will be entirely his call. I think he stays
- Lynch, if someone is willing to pay big overs then maybe otherwise I think he stays
- Rioli’s, same as Lynch, I think likely to stay but could go if overs are paid
- graham, I could see going home/to someone who needs a defensive mid, prob for a late 2nd rounder or something along those lines

Delistings: Cumby, Naismith, Coulthard, Colina, one other of Dow, Green
Retirements: Grimes, one of Caps or Pickett (mainly pending legal proceedings)

Ideally we end up with 5 picks inside the top 30 & target

- 3 mids, one inside, one outside, one inside/outside
- a key position forward
- a young ruck/forward
- use one or two later picks on a utility & medium sized defender
- bring Davidson onto the list also

I feel like we hold onto a few older players ie. Prestia & Koschitzke as insurance & also so we don’t go into complete free fall. We ideally then load up again at the ‘25 draft by the time which our new list complexion takes shape & we pray we can hit the mark with picks & development

Prestia is a very smart football operator. Already does a lot of work with the younger players.
When injured he's also been working as an assistant to Morro at the VFL. Is getting very hands on when he can. Reminds me of Lambert.

Reactions: 7 users