2024 Draft Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

2024 Draft Thread

Not sure it's the year to have too many picks.
Sam Hamburger reckons currently there looks like NO kids from WA will be drafted 17145618551285506527334661920679.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Exactly.

Crazy talk. Treacy in the overall scheme of things has done absolutely nothing. Yes, he looks good. But that's it. Hasn't dominated a game. We'd be trading leadership and proven performance for potential, and that is an extremely risky strategy. Not one I'm comfortable with considering the state of our list.

And we have to give more? No way.

But if Baker wants to leave we aint getting leadership or proven performance back. We'll get a draft pick.

The question is not to compare Baker with Treacy. It's irrelevant.

It's what we'd prefer to get in return. A pick about say 10 to 12 in a draft with what looks very little key position quality.

Or a young, on the rise 195cm key forward.

Anyway as others have said, Freo will be loathe to lose him, making it very difficult for us to prise him out.

Reactions: 5 users
But if Baker wants to leave we aint getting leadership or proven performance back. We'll get a draft pick.

The question is not to compare Baker with Treacy. It's irrelevant.

It's what we'd prefer to get in return. A pick about say 10 to 12 in a draft with what looks very little key position quality.

Or a young, on the rise 195cm key forward.

Anyway as others have said, Freo will be loathe to lose him, making it very difficult for us to prise him out.
That's a fair argument. I suppose we'll all get a closer look at him this weekend.

But I guess it's a moot point unless Baker asks for a trade to Freo.

Lachie *smile* price is the going price for Baker. 1st and a 2nd. This talk of one late first rounder only is crazy.

I'd rather the chance to draft two mids or a mid and pacey yo-yo half forward, Murphy Reid than *smile* Tracey.

Reactions: 5 users
Lachie *smile* price is the going price for Baker. 1st and a 2nd. This talk of one late first rounder only is crazy.

I'd rather the chance to draft two mids or a mid and pacey yo-yo half forward, Murphy Reid than *smile* Tracey.
If the talk of $1m per year for 5 years is correct, then that is *** ridiculous and just more media and anti Richmond bs being thrown around.

That Riley whatever his name is had it more accurate yesterday when he said on Twomey’s podcast that a single draft pick would have to be around the top 10 mark. Even then, those sort of numbers warrant top 5 imo.

Reactions: 3 users
Pies were held over a barrel because Schulzz was contracted. They wouldn't have paid so much if he was coming out of contract like Bakes.

Prestia cost us pick 6 so I think a pick 6-10 is what we should reasonably expect. Hopefully he chooses Freo for their better draft hand but who would want to wear purple and play for them.

Reactions: 1 user
If the talk of $1m per year for 5 years is correct, then that is *** ridiculous and just more media and anti Richmond bs being thrown around.

That Riley whatever his name is had it more accurate yesterday when he said on Twomey’s podcast that a single draft pick would have to be around the top 10 mark. Even then, those sort of numbers warrant top 5 imo.
Yep, it's two picks that's the value. And stay away from Tracey.

You don't think we could do with a 21-year-old, 195cm, pack-crashing, hit-up CHF averaging 6 marks and 2 goals a game this season?

I don't think we'll have a choice in the matter. He's contracted for two more years and won't be on the table.

Reactions: 3 users
Ratugolea was traded to Port last year for picks 25, 76 and 94. Let's just call it pick 25 for the sake of the argument.

So let me see. *smile* like Jon Ralph, Sam Cheeseburger, Cornes (eventually no doubt as well), see Baker as a late 1st rounder eg. 16-18 or whatever.

Baker 16 to 18. Ratugolea 25. Yeah. Sure. FFS.....

Baker is, at an absolute minimum, top 10 and more likley top 5 given the speculated deal that's on the table.

Richmond need to play this very very hard with WCE. Forget all the anti Richmond bs being spun and get a fair and proper deal done that equates to the playing ability and value of Baker to a team, and the contract that's being offered to him.

Reactions: 9 users
Ratugolea was traded to Port last year for picks 25, 76 and 94. Let's just call it pick 25 for the sake of the argument.

So let me see. *smile* like Jon Ralph, Sam Cheeseburger, Cornes (eventually no doubt as well), see Baker as a late 1st rounder eg. 16-18 or whatever.

Baker is, at an absolute minimum, top 10 and more likley top 5 given the speculated deal that's on the table.

Richmond need to play this very very hard with WCE. Forget all the anti Richmond bs being spun and get a fair and proper deal done that equates to the playing ability and value of Baker to a team, and the contract that's being offered to him.
What happens if he chooses WC (I reckon he would prefer the eagles over freo)
And they don't come to the party and just offer a 2nd rounder??
What can we do???

Fair logic. *smile* will be the Dockers pick this year (12-16) and pick 34 last year. Ratugolea pick 25.

Surely the Dockers are sitting there knowing that the price they got for *smile* is the same as Baker?

The Eagles if they want to get him, they won't push to the PSD because I truly believe Baker won't shaft us.

The Eagles first pick will be between 3-8. It's up to them to get it done. Still feel like the Dockers are in the box seat and if Bakes wants to get home and get us value he will choose them. And the Eagles won't want to get trumped by their local rival. We are in a good spot here.

Fair logic. *smile* will be the Dockers pick this year (12-16) and pick 34 last year. Ratugolea pick 25.

Surely the Dockers are sitting there knowing that the price they got for *smile* is the same as Baker?

The Eagles if they want to get him, they won't push to the PSD because I truly believe Baker won't shaft us.

The Eagles first pick will be between 3-8. It's up to them to get it done. Still feel like the Dockers are in the box seat and if Bakes wants to get home and get us value he will choose them. And the Eagles won't want to get trumped by their local rival. We are in a good spot here.

Its an interesting one this one.

West Coast - probably in the front seat with regard to contract value but aren't playing finals anytime soon, probably need to be creative with trade value
Freo - In the box seat with regards to playing finals and have the draft currency ready to go but they are unlikely to pay as highly as West Coast

Agree that Bakes won't allow this one to go to the PSD, he respects the club and the fans too much to do that.

Matthew Clarke also now list manager at west coast - won't want to screw his old employer over either, learnt off Blair.

DROUGHT WOE DISASTER

Sam Landsberger
Western Australia is bracing for its worst ever national draft as fears escalate that the country’s talent pathways will not be capable of producing enough elite players for 19 AFL clubs.
Several clubs say there is currently not a single West Australian they would select while Tasmania struggles to consistently develop AFL talent. WA typically produces about 16 per cent of the draft pool and had 14 players selected last year.
But that is set for a dramatic fall in a year where Fremantle holds three first-round selections and West Coast is likely to have a top-four pick.
“There’s not enough draftable players for 19 clubs,” one recruiting expert said.
“I don’t think there will be a West Australian legitimately drafted this year – that’s how bad WA is at the moment. It’s the worst year for talent they’ve ever seen. There’s not enough kids for 18 clubs at the moment. Some of that could be because kids never got the games into them during Covid. But WA didn’t have lockdown like Victoria did.”
Two Sandgropers – Bo Allan and Malakai Champion – made the under-fire AFL National Academy squad of 30 this year. But they are not regarded as certainties to make the grade.
Champion is tied to West Coast’s next generation academy, although the Eagles would prefer to take him as a category B rookie, rather than on their primary list.
There was a suspicion that Tasmania would again withdraw from this year’s U15 national school carnival after last year’s uncompetitive return.
Tassie lost its first two matches 12.10 (82) to 1.5 (11) and 20.13 (133) to 0.1 (1), despite attracting strong numbers to their trials on the back of the 19th licence announcement.
School Sports Australia confirmed that Tasmania had lodged forms this week to play in the U15s competition, but not the U12s. Experts believe the talent pathways are layered with problems, arguably led by the deepening dearth of Indigenous talent.
Some cannot understand why the AFL is forking out big sums of money to fly a Northern Territory team in for Coates Leagues matches, given it is not their football season and many players do not want to be in chilly Melbourne.
NT has lost to Western Jets 24.21 (165) to 2.4 (16) and to Tasmania 17.15 (117) to 4.8 (32).
The loss to Tassie was especially alarming when compared to other results. That Devils team was pipped by the GWS Academy, which Sandringham Dragons pumped by 114 points with half of their private school boys absent.
Elsewhere, some clubs flagged concerns that Riley Onley was the only Murray Bushranger picked for Vic Country between Shepparton and the NSW border. They think the AFL should send officials to flagging parts of the country to investigate whether kids have turned to rival sports since Covid.
WA talent boss Adam Jones was hopeful that a poor 2024 would prove an anomaly.
“We’re a little bit lower on our depth and potentially top-end talent,” he said.
“But I’m still confident in seven or eight guys.
“We’ve got eight bottom-age kids in our (U18) squad of 30, which is a really high contingent. That says a bit about what we’ll have next year, and the 16s group looks pretty strong as well.”
The state recently set up a talent committee as part of a review into its pathway programs.
“The next 45 that are playing state leagues essentially are going to get opportunities on a list with a new team coming in,” Jones said. “We’re now getting our U18s squad in for an 11-12 week pre-season. Do we do something similar starting at U15-U16 to really get some better development in the state? Some greater investment from the AFL would go along way to helping that as well.
“The state school boys is one that we’re potentially looking at a greater investment in, which is run separately to the (WA) Football Commission.
“But is it worth our while putting investment into beefing up a program that’s already running to give the players involved better development and a better link in with our state U16s? I think they’re some really low-hanging fruit that will have a decent impact.
“The selection process around that is a little bit flawed. So how can we help those programs select the best kids in the state and then really beef-up the program?”
“It’s a poor competition in that they play five games in seven days, so it’s a massive toll. I’ve never really supported it because of things like that, and the families have got to pay.
“It’s a bit flawed, but it’s there – so we’re thinking do we try and make it better? It’ll definitely help our players if we have more investment.”

Murphy Reid. Blackbook.
Murphy for some unknown reason doesn’t get the plaudits he rightly deserves. The Best player awards will go to the big name players like Ashcroft but my tip is Murphy will be VM’s most effective player.
Also looking forward to watching Pat Retschko and Charlie Richardson in action. The poor Oakleigh setup hasn’t been kind to them.