1st Final, where & when? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

1st Final, where & when?

tassiedave

Wingman of the future!
Aug 5, 2003
What is the most likely scenario for our 1st Finals game next week, assuming we beat the Roos?

You'd expect the game will be played at the "G", but when? Saturday afternoon, Saturday night? Maybe Friday night?

Am trying to plan airfare & accommodation in advance.

Bill Haverchuck said:
If we win and its 5 v 8 highly likely Sunday
6 v 7 sat

Agreed.

They will play the games involving teams travelling interstate first.

Will be ( assuming no upsets)

West Coast v Hawks Friday night
Dogs v crows saturday afternoon
Freo v Swans Saturday night
Tigers v kangas on Sunday

Freo has to have a 7 day break as the minor premier so the west coast v hawthorn game has to be played on friday night which means that Bulldogs and Crows cannot be played on Sunday as teams who will play each other cannot be drawn in finals 2 says apart.

Source is the HUN

Seems a little unfair if we finish 5th and land a Sunday game if that is so and we win, which we will against the cheating scum, means at best only get a 6 day break yet the teams below us the dogs or crows will get a 7 day break. Thought AFL were meant to favour those finishing higher on the ladder?

As long as we're playing at the MCG, I don't care.

By the way, which idiot thought that it would be a good idea for Richmond to play their home game at Etihad last night? AFL?

SPH said:
Seems a little unfair if we finish 5th and land a Sunday game if that is so and we win, which we will against the cheating scum, means at best only get a 6 day break yet the teams below us the dogs or crows will get a 7 day break. Thought AFL were meant to favour those finishing higher on the ladder?

Yep, and the higher teams are 1st to 4th. Can't physically make it 100% work for all teams. I'm happy we will have a 8.5 day break. It somewhat negates North's silly decision to rest their whole team.

So nth & us get a 9 day break after all. That's a good break.

Double question:. Could Chris/ brad/ whatever have worked this out prior to our game last night, and doesn't that make him a bit of a boob to rest all of those players?

tigerlove said:
Yep, and the higher teams are 1st to 4th. Can't physically make it 100% work for all teams. I'm happy we will have a 8.5 day break. It somewhat negates North's silly decision to rest their whole team.

I think a 16 day break forth hose 8-10 players causes enormous momentum shift in our favour.

I usually go to the footy with my daughter (AFL Richmond club support member) and another 8game Richmond member. I am also an AFL Richmond club support member. We usually cross over so that we can sit together. My query - as an AFL CLUB support member is can I get a three general admission tickets together using my AFL memberships and my friends Richmond 8 game Membership. I know I can buy a Guest pass in AFL area but I think that will,cost me $80 a which is just ridiculous. Any help in simplifying the ticketing will be appreciated.

doherz said:
I think a 16 day break forth hose 8-10 players causes enormous momentum shift in our favour.

I was thinking this exact thing last night, a 16 day break is not adequate preparation for finals. Scott is an A-grade moron!
Dimma pretty much confirmed at his press conference that we will be playing next Sunday afternoon.

doherz said:
I agree, it gives us a good chance to freshen up our own players, while there's get rusty, and as it turned out it looks like they came off second best physically. Ziebell wound up with a decent cut on his head and one of their younger players, who may have played next week was knocked out.

22nd Man said:
What do dogs have to win by to go ahead of us?
What do swans have to lose by for us to go to. 4th?
Swans need only lose by 1 point as long as Gold coast score around 70 points for the game.
As for the Dogs around the 100 point if they keep Brisbane to 50 points.
the more points Brisbane kick the higher the winning margin the Dogs need.

Quickdraw said:
As long as we're playing at the MCG, I don't care.

By the way, which idiot thought that it would be a good idea for Richmond to play their home game at Etihad last night? AFL?
Technically, yes the AFL did - they do the fixtures. But we agreed to it. Without definitively knowing I imagine we asked for lots of Friday night games and return games against Coll, Carl and Ess, as well as having Rich v Carl to start the season. AFL said OK, we'll give you all that, but you have to play a home game at Etihad, because we sold our soul to get it built for us and agreed to play x number of games a year there and the tenant clubs don't give us enough games. Same reason Melbourne is playing a home game against GWS there tomorrow.

My only queries are - why did it have to be against an Etihad tenant club rather than say an interstate club? and why did it have to be round 23 when the result has more significance than say round 12 in June, when it's p!ssing rain and we'd welcome a game under the roof. Melbourne copped GWS, that would have been OK by us - there were only 35k at our GWS game, so Etihad would have been fine then.

I guess the only advantage is that Norf don't play the G often, whereas we do and I'm sort of glad now we won that we didn't expose our MCG game plan.

I think the AFL was happy to let North rest players as it means we can pack the G instead of Adelaide, more profitable for them

PBoRSM said:
Technically, yes the AFL did - they do the fixtures. But we agreed to it. Without definitively knowing I imagine we asked for lots of Friday night games and return games against Coll, Carl and Ess, as well as having Rich v Carl to start the season. AFL said OK, we'll give you all that, but you have to play a home game at Etihad, because we sold our soul to get it built for us and agreed to play x number of games a year there and the tenant clubs don't give us enough games. Same reason Melbourne is playing a home game against GWS there tomorrow.

My only queries are - why did it have to be against an Etihad tenant club rather than say an interstate club? and why did it have to be round 23 when the result has more significance than say round 12 in June, when it's p!ssing rain and we'd welcome a game under the roof. Melbourne copped GWS, that would have been OK by us - there were only 35k at our GWS game, so Etihad would have been fine then.

I guess the only advantage is that Norf don't play the G often, whereas we do and I'm sort of glad now we won that we didn't expose our MCG game plan.
Interstate clubs do not want to play MCG tenants at Etihad because they want to play on the MCG especially those who may play finals. They lobby the AFL hard on that and it's probably fair enough.

The issue for me is not that we played one home game at etihad because every MCG tenant has to do it contractually, it is that it was scheduled for round 23 against a 2014 finalist who uses Etihad as it's home ground. I know it sounds counter intuitive but I would rather us play Melbourne there even though both are based at the MCG.

Sintiger said:
Interstate clubs do not want to play MCG tenants at Etihad because they want to play on the MCG especially those who may play finals. They lobby the AFL hard on that and it's probably fair enough.

The issue for me is not that we played one home game at etihad because every MCG tenant has to do it contractually, it is that it was scheduled for round 23 against a 2014 finalist who uses Etihad as it's home ground. I know it sounds counter intuitive but I would rather us play Melbourne there even though both are based at the MCG.

agree and agree that if we should have our Etihad game mid year, not round 23