Game Day - Tiges V Freo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Tiges V Freo

Got to pay Freo a bit of credit.
Their ball use was as good as any team we have played all year & at times they just cut us to ribbons with the lead/mark game.
Also their young mids are extremely impressive.
They may have started the year slowly but they're coming that's for sure.

This is one thing which has irritated me for a few years. Our forward line is so static. When you watch a team like Freo or pretty much any team these days, you notice that they pass to a moving player. We too often pass to a player who is standing and waiting for the ball. I don't care how accurate your passing is, a stationary target is waiting to be spoiled or out marked. If our player is stationary they can't run and jump, their opponent can. We are far too static. Delivery into the forward line is similar, if you have a tall player, or even a not quite so tall player, on the lead and jumping to receive the ball their opponent needs to be at least a few inches taller to effect a spoil.

Surely Yze is telling them to move and lead and to get out of this ridiculous habit of skying a ball to a stationary team-mate.

DS

Reactions: 8 users
The midfield was smashed today and only Lefau could mark the ball in the forward line. I think the confidence is starting to fall away as well.

The focus is clear. We need a young key position forward and some speed and class through the midfield. We should be able to start fixing the midfield this year but the key forward is going to be hard to find. Critical next two to three years coming up. Get it right and we can rebound relatively quickly. Get it wrong and we will face failing into a North Melbourne type hole.

The fitness levels aren't good enough either. We use to run teams off their legs but we consistently get outrun the longer the game goes on.

Reactions: 3 users
Too tall down back
Not tall enough up forward

drop grimes and replace him with a runner
drop naismith and bring in balta and ryan
much better structure

people talk about needing more pace in the midfield but we also need more down back

Reactions: 4 users
Seriously?

Yze is not the problem, has shown he can coach and will be a good coach.
Not for the first time, what my/our eyes are seeing does NOT tally with what you say/think.

I see terrible signs of a team falling apart and losing interest, desire, guts, skill and football IQ. Don't try to tell me that the coach has no responsibility.

Reactions: 1 user
Wonder what Dusty’s kicking efficiency is for this game ?
I sincerely hope he is not just ensuring a decent disposal count to keep any prospective next clubs interested, because I cannot believe how awfully careless some of them seem.

This is one thing which has irritated me for a few years. Our forward line is so static. When you watch a team like Freo or pretty much any team these days, you notice that they pass to a moving player. We too often pass to a player who is standing and waiting for the ball. I don't care how accurate your passing is, a stationary target is waiting to be spoiled or out marked. If our player is stationary they can't run and jump, their opponent can. We are far too static. Delivery into the forward line is similar, if you have a tall player, or even a not quite so tall player, on the lead and jumping to receive the ball their opponent needs to be at least a few inches taller to effect a spoil.

Surely Yze is telling them to move and lead and to get out of this ridiculous habit of skying a ball to a stationary team-mate.

DS
I so agree with this, DS. Two of my football beliefs are 1) Almost always (except rare chances e.g. for over-the-top HB in the goal-square), you have to deliver the ball to a moving target for the exact reasons you have aptly expressed and 2) When on the field, you are always in the game, you must always be actively alert to possibilities around you, so covering an opponent's possible movements, positioning to advantage, reading the play to make a lead or get past for a HB etc.

A static player is just a waste of space.

Reactions: 2 users
Got to pay Freo a bit of credit.
Their ball use was as good as any team we have played all year & at times they just cut us to ribbons with the lead/mark game.
Also their young mids are extremely impressive.
They may have started the year slowly but they're coming that's for sure.
Hayden Young had his annual best on ground game against us again.

*aren't we meant to be in Young's ear?
Like the old days if you played well against us often enough GR would get you in yellow and black.
Pitura, Rowlings, Scrimshaw.

DS
There was one instance I watched where Banks ( I think) had the ball under a bit of pressure running towards the 50 and he really only had one place to kick it . It went straight to a Freo player but to me it wasn't really his fault, our forwards just didn't work hard enough and the two Freo backs looked almost like they were the leading forwards.

Reactions: 1 users
Miller has been at the club for that long he should be up to scratch now. Him & Young just aint gunna reach the lofty heights now of Grimes Broad Val . They are duds. How many goals have their direct opponents kicked this year ?. Treacy murdered them last quarter an Treacy aint a gun.
Stand in front of an avalanche all day long and you're guaranteed to get buried. Midfield n Forward deep in *smile* talent, skill n structure wise at the moment. So much easy uncontested footy coming in all game long that the defenders simply have no hope.

Reactions: 2 users
Watched replay again
YZE has a lot to learn about coaching I am afraid !
Didn’t try to win the game at 3/4 time
Why not make position changes ?
Mitchell at Hawks plays Siciliy forward and guess what , they win . Not the first time this year either Mitchell has changed it up
As for selection of players . Naismith would be the biggest waste of a pick in any draft .
The fantasy is over
And we have about half a dozen who are scared of copping any body contact , why recruit them !! Banks please spare me 🤮

• Haha
Watched replay again
YZE has a lot to learn about coaching I am afraid !
Didn’t try to win the game at 3/4 time
Why not make position changes ?
Mitchell at Hawks plays Siciliy forward and guess what , they win . Not the first time this year either Mitchell has changed it up
As for selection of players . Naismith would be the biggest waste of a pick in any draft .
The fantasy is over
And we have about half a dozen who are scared of copping any body contact , why recruit them !! Banks please spare me 🤮
It wasnt the 1st time and against Melbourne we couldnt score either and he sat there and watched.
At least Quack Quack had us playing with heart and we never gave up.
Yze looks like he cooked and it's only round 8

• Haha
A 50 for delaying play. After the siren. These blokes are brilliant.
Was this free kick like the one we should have received in a game versus Sydney when Prestia had a free kick on the 50 arc when the siren sounded and a Sydney player kicked the ball away. To the letter of the law it should have been paid. I will have to watch replay it again, or maybe not.

Reactions: 3 users
Was this free kick like the one we should have received in a game versus Sydney when Prestia had a free kick on the 50 arc when the siren sounded and a Sydney player kicked the ball away. To the letter of the law it should have been paid. I will have to watch replay it again, or maybe not.
Yes good call. Exactly the same.

The siren goes, the whistle sounds, Dow looks at the ump who has his hand raised for half time, Dow drops the ball. Ump pays 50.

In the 3rd, Freo player runs the ball out of bounds, deliberate is paid. Freo player tosses the ball to the boundary umpire. No 50 paid.

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users
Yes good call. Exactly the same.
Hmm. I seem to remember the term “common sense” being bandied around by afl people as to why the 50m penalty WASN’T given TO us in that Sydney game. I’m hearing crickets from the afl about why the 50m penalty WAS given AGAINST us in the freo game