Game Day - Tiges V Freo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Tiges V Freo

Hmm. I seem to remember the term “common sense” being bandied around by afl people as to why the 50m penalty WASN’T given TO us in that Sydney game. I’m hearing crickets from the afl about why the 50m penalty WAS given AGAINST us in the freo game
Maybe Dow should have kicked the ball into the crowd.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
  • Angry
Reactions: 1 users
Channeling Kane.

So what we can see in the previous Sydney footage is that the siren has gone and the umpires confer together and despite the rule saying that that is a 50m penalty they are able to come together as a group and apply common sense to the situation which is what we ask our umpires to do. So we are really happy with that.

In the situation on Sunday we can see the siren has sounded but because the sound hasn’t travelled to the middle of the ground yet we ask our umpires to decide if they know what Dow is thinking and if he has heard the siren or not. So our umpires again got together and applied common sense which is why the 50m is there and again we are really happy with that and the communication within the umpires group. So that’s the clear explanation there.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
In that footage you cant see the umpire when Dow looks at him- on the replay you can clearly the umpire has his hand raised- signally half time. The Dow drops the ball.
Both instances. Whistle blows, ump calls the free, opposition player disposes of the ball- not giving it back to the free recipient. Only one is paid 50.
And as i have said in another post- a Freo player ran the ball over the line- the ump blew the whistle, called deliberate, Freo player tossed the ball to the boundary umpire who tossed it to the Richmond player- no 50.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm. I seem to remember the term “common sense” being bandied around by afl people as to why the 50m penalty WASN’T given TO us in that Sydney game. I’m hearing crickets from the afl about why the 50m penalty WAS given AGAINST us in the freo game
Yes, that worm Whately was one who was shouting 'common sense ' from the rooftops at that time, back when I used to listen to his radio show against my better judgement.

In that footage you cant see the umpire when Dow looks at him- on the replay you can clearly the umpire has his hand raised- signally half time. The Dow drops the ball.
Both instances. Whistle blows, ump calls the free, opposition player disposes of the ball- not giving it back to the free recipient. Only one is paid 50.
And as i have said in another post- a Freo player ran the ball over the line- the ump blew the whistle, called deliberate, Freo player tossed the ball to the boundary umpire who tossed it to the Richmond player- no 50.
Do you know what time on the countdown clock when the freo player ran the ball over the line. Would like to go back and watch it. (Not really sure it is a sane act on my part - just love the misery😜

• Haha
I watched the replay and saw the umpire had blown his whistle and had one arm in the air, signalling a free kick. Two arms in the air signals end of quarter, or so I thought. Still not applying the “common sense rule” but instead the “let’s f..k Richmond over rule”. Their incompetence and inconsistency knows no bounds.

Reactions: 4 users
Channeling Kane.

So what we can see in the previous Sydney footage is that the siren has gone and the umpires confer together and despite the rule saying that that is a 50m penalty they are able to come together as a group and apply common sense to the situation which is what we ask our umpires to do. So we are really happy with that.

In the situation on Sunday we can see the siren has sounded but because the sound hasn’t travelled to the middle of the ground yet we ask our umpires to decide if they know what Dow is thinking and if he has heard the siren or not. So our umpires again got together and applied common sense which is why the 50m is there and again we are really happy with that and the communication within the umpires group. So that’s the clear explanation there.
Two virtually identical incidents and both times the umpires applied common sense and the results of umpiring common sense was two entirely opposite outcomes in decision making that simply shafted the one club both times. Perfect result for the AFL.
No such thing as common sense when you are dealing with gibbering imbeciles.

Reactions: 5 users
Do you know what time on the countdown clock when the freo player ran the ball over the line. Would like to go back and watch it. (Not really sure it is a sane act on my part - just love the misery😜
Some stage in the 4th i reckon, but not sure.

I watched the replay and saw the umpire had blown his whistle and had one arm in the air, signalling a free kick. Two arms in the air signals end of quarter, or so I thought. Still not applying the “common sense rule” but instead the “let’s f..k Richmond over rule”. Their incompetence and inconsistency knows no bounds.
I reckon hand in the air whilst blowing the whistle signals end of 1/4. to signal a free they theatrically give the sign for whatever the free is then point towards the recipients backline.

Zoning does not work for me, Richmond gets craved up against teams short chipping the ball. I would much more prefer one on one, we may let through a couple of goals, but we would be competing at every level across the ground. This brings our players into the game.

another thing! with the limited experience in the middle, let's not chase the opposition player two against one, it frees up the other unmanned player. This occurred so many times on Sunday, free to run down and kick into the mid forward line. Again, one on one. Run and try to win the ball against your opposition player.

We need to try this approach.

Two days removed from it, Sunday was as hard as a Richmond watch as I've had in a long time. It just never felt like we were going to convert.

Every ball movement was labored, every ball movement involved a player who couldn't do the right thing to keep it moving. Defensively it didn't feel like we gave a yelp, the Freo blokes just ran in waves over the top of us. The entire group looked like it was round 20. Tired, going through the motions. The first time it felt that way in the Yze era. And I get it, this is how the system works and things can change but it FEELS a very long path back to even be competitive let alone in contention for finals, let alone top 4, let alone making prelims, let alone winning flags. The light at the end of the tunnel is so far away. But wouldn't change a thing, 3 flags and all the glory, this is just the way it is.

I reckon hand in the air whilst blowing the whistle signals end of 1/4. to signal a free they theatrically give the sign for whatever the free is then point towards the recipients backline.
except when they point to Richmond's backline, then remember that they don't give free kicks to Richmond, then give the ball to the other bloke.

Two days removed from it, Sunday was as hard as a Richmond watch as I've had in a long time. It just never felt like we were going to convert.

Every ball movement was labored, every ball movement involved a player who couldn't do the right thing to keep it moving. Defensively it didn't feel like we gave a yelp, the Freo blokes just ran in waves over the top of us. The entire group looked like it was round 20. Tired, going through the motions. The first time it felt that way in the Yze era. And I get it, this is how the system works and things can change but it FEELS a very long path back to even be competitive let alone in contention for finals, let alone top 4, let alone making prelims, let alone winning flags. The light at the end of the tunnel is so far away. But wouldn't change a thing, 3 flags and all the glory, this is just the way it is.
I know what you mean Scoop. I'm gonna try and go back to our early Dimma years threads to see what we all thought back then along with watching any available videos on how we played in those days. I reckon we'll make the finals quicker under Ooze than Dimma.

Last edited:
Two virtually identical incidents and both times the umpires applied common sense and the results of umpiring common sense was two entirely opposite outcomes in decision making that simply shafted the one club both times. Perfect result for the AFL.
No such thing as common sense when you are dealing with gibbering imbeciles.
Gibbering imbeciles are feeling insulted by being compared to afl officials

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Hard day at the Office but I believe in the hallowed halls of Richmond Football Club, a new era dawns—a testing ground where raw talent meets the crucible of AFL. The next couple of years will be our proving ground, a baptism by fire for the likes of Sonsie, Hugo, Banks, Dow, Young, Miller, MRJ, and Campbell etc and so on .. These young guns, once stuck in the VFL shadows, now step into the spotlight.

The pain? It’s inevitable—the ache of growth, the sting of setbacks. But within this crucible lies hope. If Richmond can forge a nucleus of players, each thread woven tightly, they’ll rise anew. Draft picks, like precious gems, await discovery—adding brilliance to our future. Mid-year drafts, year-end selections—they’re our alchemical mix, transforming potential into gold.

Yet, let’s not be fooled; there’s no quick fix. We’ll lose some along the way—Graham, Baker, Rioli ??? maybe — if they decide mmm . Their departure, like autumn leaves, makes space for fresh blooms. And so, we watch—the trading period, a dance of strategy and chance. Will we trade pawns for queens? Only time will tell.

Richmond Tigers, brace yourselves—the pain, the promise—it’s all part of the grand symphony. The crescendo awaits, echoing across the MCG, as young hearts beat in unison. Rise, Tigers, rise! 🐯🔥
Jazzy Pete I've shared your reflection with so many Tiger friends and family and it brought us such joy and comfort. More of this going forward, please.