Why is the RFC the *smile* of the NMFC? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Why is the RFC the *smile* of the NMFC?

Re: Why is the RFC the b!tch of the NMFC?

Bill James said:
Agree, I would have tried Griff on Brown and shuffled Rance to Waite and Chaplin to Petrie, before I subbed Griffiths off, but I think Petrie would have exposed Chaplin then anyway so it probably would not have worked. There was always going to be a mis match and we had one as well at our end, so it was down to the respective midfields to exploit it and there midfiield slaughtered ours.

gee whiz

petrie would have gone bananas on chaplin

Harry said:
north attack fast from their backline and it gives us little time to get our defensive structures in place. we struggle against teams that slingshot from defence, however are better placed against teams that like to set up their play like freo sydney and hawthorn.

This

allowing hansen to have 35 uncontested marks every time they play, doesnt help either

In 2016
I'm addition to improving, we need to target geelong and North with extra prejudice.
The other games are business as usual.

Whenever Norf went forward, their forwards are always in front, and seem to be able to run and jump at the ball. Every kick to Jack, Vickery and Griff are on their heads. Vickery and Griff get outbodied way too easily, and Jack is always 3 on 1.

I agree North's tactics of slingshotting the ball out of the backline quickly doesn't give us time to set up in the backline. Chaplin and Batch can't go with Waite and Brown in one on one contests so they get exposed.

They always get us around the stoppages and contested ball. Maric has been a great warrior for our club but Goldstein can pretty much win hit outs to advantage at will which gives them a huge head start. We are one or two big bodied unconditional players short to compete with North on the inside.

Boomer Harvey always fills his boots against us as well.

Harry said:
north attack fast from their backline and it gives us little time to get our defensive structures in place. we struggle against teams that slingshot from defence, however are better placed against teams that like to set up their play like freo sydney and hawthorn.

Funnily enough if we managed to finish top 4 we'd have a better chance of winning against the top teams. Finishing in the 5th-8th range tends to bring a lot of these teams attacking teams we struggle with. Carlton was the same, just a horrible match up. It is what is, the list needs work but the gameplan that Hardwick has drilled into his robots will always have it's drawbacks against certain teams.

wayne said:
Whenever Norf went forward, their forwards are always in front, and seem to be able to run and jump at the ball. Every kick to Jack, Vickery and Griff are on their heads. Vickery and Griff get outbodied way too easily, and Jack is always 3 on 1.

or kicking too short to their ankles.
Richo put up with that for over a decade.
Its in our drinking water.
We have it trained to a fine art

Forget the fact Waite is a very flakey footballer. Fact is hes Josh Kennedy dimensions with a massive leap. Toys with our defence. They worked out long ago kick it long and deep.

Ridley said:
The North Melbourne FC is a p!ssant club. No supporters, always among the lowest membership of Vic clubs, average facilities, 4 flags (2 of which were won due the short lived 10 year rule back in the 70s where they pilfered guns like Wade and Rantall from other clubs).

The Richmond Football Club is a massive club with a huge supporter base, massive membership and state of the art facilities making huge profits the past 3-4 years.

Why the *smile* can't we beat these shinboner try hards????? It *smile*ing drives me mad.

They have the wood over us for 20 plus years. We haven't beaten a fair dinkum North side since 2011 (don't count last weeks practice match against the North VFL side).

What the *smile* is going on Richmond????? I fear that North just wants it more than us. It means more to them.

The Richmond Football Club is happy with mediocrity. Happy with Moneyball footballers. Happy just to make the finals. At least North strives for higher.

One answer.
Tall poppy syndrome.

Why is Hawthorn ours ? Some teams just match up well on others & for some reason Norths forwards seem to play well against us

We must draw a line in the sand like the Cats did after they lost to the Hawks in the 2008 granny.

smasha said:
We must draw a line in the sand like the Cats did after they lost to the Hawks in the 2008 granny.

Need more than a line in the sand - Cats already won a granny and were a great team.

smasha said:

As I've said previously, North probably have another year to achieve anything meaningful. After that they will sink and our domination over them will start, similar to that which we have over the druggies and blooze.
We owe Norf more then a few hidings.

It really doesn't matter who we face in the finals, we'll be their *smile* on that day.

It happens in different eras I'm not sure whether we beat St Kilda while Ross Lyon was coach but i know we had a shocking record with a few blowouts against them, we can't beat Geelong either just the way it ebbs & flows.

Coughlan24 said:
It happens in different eras I'm not sure whether we beat St Kilda while Ross Lyon was coach but i know we had a shocking record with a few blowouts against them, we can't beat Geelong either just the way it ebbs & flows.
We didn't. They had a streak against us that started in the Thomas era when Frawley was still coaching us and it didn't end until after Woss left. Took us a few games to beat Freo under him, too. The Pies had a hold on us until this year as well.

SpaceAce said:
As I've said previously, North probably have another year to achieve anything meaningful.

Think this is their last shot. They blew it with the loss to GC, one of the worst I've seen.

Each club's oldest team since 1987:

Cb Age Year Rd
----------------
PA 27.81 2005 15
Ha 27.70 2015 QF
Br 27.65 2004 22
Fr 27.62 2015 22
Ge 27.58 2010 PF
NM 27.53 2015 EF
Sy 27.43 1989 16
Ad 27.17 2006 16
St 27.17 2012 12
Ca 27.05 2001 17
WB 26.96 2010 PF
Es 26.43 1990 10
Me 26.35 1995 11
Co 26.30 2006 10
Ri 26.26 2001 SF
Fi 26.01 1994 1
WC 25.96 2013 13
GC 23.88 2015 15
GWS 23.68 2015 3

Many of those clubs were going over the age cliff.

Richmond 2001 - our last finals win, enough said
Fitzroy 1994 - soon to be extinct
Sydney 1989 - preceded the second-worst period of any club in the modern era bar Fitzroy
Brisbane 2004 - decade of desolation
Geelong 2010 - clung on for another year with champion team and expert list management
Bulldogs 2010 - entire forward line 30+, off to Rebuild City
St.Kilda 2012 - still de-Rossing
Carlton 2001 - similar to us

North yesterday - last chance saloon
Hawthorn Friday night - ancient
Freo R22 - Rossed

Those last three clubs are currently very vulnerable. History suggests its extremely difficult to contend when the team drops significantly in age from one year to the next. Send the same players around again, guaranteed 100% cooked; introduce youth, take a performance hit.

It's a comforting through L2R2R and I agree with you, but it still sucks to be a Richmond supporter today.

CarnTheTiges said:
It's a comforting through L2R2R and I agree with you, but it still sucks to be a Richmond supporter today.

Yeah it sucks, but opportunity's about to knock more loudly.