Why is the RFC the *smile* of the NMFC? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Why is the RFC the *smile* of the NMFC?

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
The North Melbourne FC is a pissant club. No supporters, always among the lowest membership of Vic clubs, average facilities, 4 flags (2 of which were won due the short lived 10 year rule back in the 70s where they pilfered guns like Wade and Rantall from other clubs).

The Richmond Football Club is a massive club with a huge supporter base, massive membership and state of the art facilities making huge profits the past 3-4 years.

Why the *smile* can't we beat these shinboner try hards????? It *smile* drives me mad.

They have the wood over us for 20 plus years. We haven't beaten a fair dinkum North side since 2011 (don't count last weeks practice match against the North VFL side).

What the *smile* is going on Richmond????? I fear that North just wants it more than us. It means more to them.

The Richmond Football Club is happy with mediocrity. Happy with Moneyball footballers. Happy just to make the finals. At least North strives for higher.

Re: Why is the RFC the b!tch of the NMFC?

In the past it was we pushed up to high and got torched on the slingshot. Today our backline was always going to have one tall mismatch which became a massive problem when our kids got pantsed.

we were too short down back. I'm surprised they didn't at least throw Griff down back for a while.

But they have shinboner spirit also. Hardness. Resilience. Making the most of nothing.

We have moneyball.

Has Hardwick ever coached a wining side against any of the Scott brothers?

They both do something Hardwick struggles with (Hansen & Taylor) play lose down back.
And that is the start of it....

north attack fast from their backline and it gives us little time to get our defensive structures in place. we struggle against teams that slingshot from defence, however are better placed against teams that like to set up their play like freo sydney and hawthorn.

Well playing a 6'2" flanker on a 6'5" lump of a CHF that can jump over a house is one of the reasons we are still lolnorf's beeeaaatccchhh.

Harry said:
north attack fast from their backline and it gives us little time to get our defensive structures in place. we struggle against teams that slingshot from defence, however are better placed against teams that like to set up their play like freo sydney and hawthorn.

Bingo; also add our lack of genuine small fwd/crumbers, a too safe & static, conservative game style, all contribute to why we are this p!ssant of a clubs beatches. Kangas actually give you a chance to score against them if you can just work, run and show abit of boldness selectively at the right time, but most of that is taken out of our game now ('care with the football' taken too far) & on the few occasions that we do try & run and take a few risks to create the loose man, our execution is lacking, we aren't sharp & skilled enough because we arent doing these things on a regular basis anymore. Sorry if yhst doesnt make sense, im wrecked. *smile* Richmond.

ToraToraTora said:
Well playing a 6'2" flanker on a 6'5" lump of a CHF that can jump over a house is one of the reasons we are still lolnorf's beeeaaatccchhh.

this, pretty much. and our 2 guns mids getting nullified/ not turning up. But I think its more to do with finals stagefright that them having the wood over us. We should be over it. we aren't

zippadeee said:
Has Hardwick ever coached a wining side against any of the Scott brothers?

Never beaten Chris.

Had one win against Brad in 2011. Last week's practice match against North Ballarat officially counts but realistically it doesn't.

tigersnake said:
this, pretty much. and our 2 guns mids getting nullified/ not turning up. But I think its more to do with finals stagefright that them having the wood over us. We should be over it. we aren't

They've had it over us for a long long time Snakey. We can't deal with them.

The thing that pisses me off about our losses to north is most of them are close or semi close
So many times over the years , close at 3qtr time then they draw away in the last , seemed to start in the 90s when pagan was coach...

ToraToraTora said:
And having a 6' 5" chb who gets out muscled by 6'2" flankers doesn't help when we have to man up three genuine talls..

I think we all saw the standard Richmond/North game today. The customary ten goal moral win to North.

They are much too big for us. Our tackles are a joke. At one stage North players flicked off seven consecutive Richmond tackles to turn a centre bounce into a goal shot. Theirs tackles almost always physically hamper our disposal. And eventually the threat of them does so psychologically.

They completely dominate the air. We are pitiful. How about Ivan turning it up going back with the flight? He's out there for his ticker.

Boys against men again today.

tigersnake said:
Combination of these: gameplan; personnel and a ruthlessness that we just lack. Both pre-game and in-game. I posted elsewhere before today's final that we seemed just like sitting ducks for Norf with last week's debacle. Unfortunately we really fell for it, and thought that H & A form counted for so much. You have to lift for finals and play a much tighter, tougher brand of football. Our guys looked flat from the start I thought, some straight kicking kept us in it. Norf know how to pace themselves and play four qts.

Bill James said:
And having a 6' 5" chb who gets out muscled by 6'2" flankers doesn't help when we have to man up three genuine talls..

Yep. Batch was a boy doing a man's job yesterday. Not fair to criticise him too much for it. If a change was made Waite might have been contained a bit but I'd no doubt one of the other talls would have popped up. We didn't have the suitable match ups to cover all of them. North's delivery to their forwards was pretty good. Not much chance one on one when the ball is delivered so well. They were well drilled.

The backs were overwhelmed but really, with Cotch, Deledio, Edwards and Ellis all having such poor games.....I don't know how we were as close as we were late in the 4th quarter. I wad feeling so flat with our performance by the last that it surprises me how close we were. It just felt like we were waaaay behind.....

Ridley said:
The North Melbourne FC is a p!ssant club. No supporters, always among the lowest membership of Vic clubs, average facilities, 4 flags (2 of which were won due the short lived 10 year rule back in the 70s where they pilfered guns like Wade and Rantall from other clubs).

The Richmond Football Club is a massive club with a huge supporter base, massive membership and state of the art facilities making huge profits the past 3-4 years.

Why the *smile* can't we beat these shinboner try hards????? It *smile*ing drives me mad.

They have the wood over us for 20 plus years. We haven't beaten a fair dinkum North side since 2011 (don't count last weeks practice match against the North VFL side).

What the *smile* is going on Richmond????? I fear that North just wants it more than us. It means more to them.

The Richmond Football Club is happy with mediocrity. Happy with Moneyball footballers. Happy just to make the finals. At least North strives for higher.
Their facilities are actually quite decent. Also you mentioned Shinboner try hards. Well maybe it is just that. They have spirit engrained in their culture. Like the Sydney Bloods.

67 special said:
The backs were overwhelmed but really, with Cotch, Deledio, Edwards and Ellis all having such poor games.....I don't know how we were as close as we were late in the 4th quarter. I wad feeling so flat with our performance by the last that it surprises me how close we were. It just felt like we were waaaay behind.....

We were so close coz they missed so many simple goal shots, 67. If they kick straight they win be ten goals.

All things pass, like the St.Kilda bogey, the Collingwood bogey. Even Melbourne's Etihad bogey.

It doesn't all boil down to maturity, but that's a large slice of it. Age differences:

Year Rd R Mn Rich N.M. Diff
------------------------------
2015 EF L 17 25.56 27.53 -1.97
2015 23 W 41 25.47 24.94 +0.53
2015 6 L 35 25.42 26.71 -1.29
2014 12 L 28 24.30 25.98 -1.68
2013 15 L 62 25.00 25.02 -0.02
2012 17 L 4 23.93 24.81 -0.88
2011 24 L 13 23.67 24.44 -0.77
2011 5 W 9 23.55 24.31 -0.76
2010 16 L 50 23.40 23.74 -0.35
2009 16 D 0 22.94 24.95 -2.01
2009 5 W 36 23.91 24.30 -0.39
2008 2 L 41 24.64 25.62 -0.98
2007 14 L 25 23.99 25.22 -1.23
2006 11 W 35 24.39 25.70 -1.31
2005 12 L 29 25.48 24.85 +0.62
2004 11 L 74 24.48 25.07 -0.59
2003 11 L 3 24.71 24.79 -0.08
2002 11 L 11 24.58 26.49 -1.91
2001 21 W 4 25.78 24.95 +0.83
2001 6 W 51 25.72 24.82 +0.90
2000 18 L 78 24.44 25.50 -1.05
2000 3 L 36 24.14 25.23 -1.09
1999 18 L 22 23.61 25.91 -2.31
1999 3 L 10 23.42 24.71 -1.28

Hardwick's 31-6 (84%) when Richmond is older than the opposition - only happened 37/135 times to date, including 8 this year (7-1). Next year we'll be on the right side of the maturity ledger regularly. It's up to the players to parlay that advantage into finals success.

rosy23 said:
Yep. Batch was a boy doing a man's job yesterday. Not fair to criticise him too much for it. If a change was made Waite might have been contained a bit but I'd no doubt one of the other talls would have popped up. We didn't have the suitable match ups to cover all of them. North's delivery to their forwards was pretty good. Not much chance one on one when the ball is delivered so well. They were well drilled.
Agree, I would have tried Griff on Brown and shuffled Rance to Waite and Chaplin to Petrie, before I subbed Griffiths off, but I think Petrie would have exposed Chaplin then anyway so it probably would not have worked. There was always going to be a mis match and we had one as well at our end, so it was down to the respective midfields to exploit it and there midfiield slaughtered ours.